FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: surfcasters here???  (Read 4032 times)

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
Re: surfcasters here???
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2011, 05:49 PM »
This will be my first year with a convetional from the surf. Typically use Shimano bait runners and Diawa spinning reels. Rods range from 10' for pluggin and hardbaits (Penn power Stick) to a 15' ugly and every size in between.

I haven't fished IRI the past two years. Not to keen on some of the people that have kind of taken over there the last two years. Have seen it get pretty ugly a few times. I just get my permits and hit the beach or head south  :)

Not sure everyone knows so just going to throw it out there that you will need a Md. saltwater fishing license this year to fish from the beach, bridge, or inlet.

I use the Penn power sticks in 7' for casting....never hit up IRI but always drive by there...you're right it can be nasty on occasion. seems thats the sweet spot for some monster fish! I may try it one of these years.
    A Country Boy can Survive!

scavengerj

« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2011, 12:48 PM »
It has always produced some nice slammers when the tide is incoming. And there are some big bass to be caught at night.
Flounder fishing has been pretty good the last couple of years by the CG station. Still good fishing there, just don't do it on the weekends.

I miss the tide-runners (big weakfish) that we use to be able to catch from there.

I do just as well just south of the Inlet at 3R's in the suds and I don't need corkers  :)
Life is not a guided tour, but a journey
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA

quantumreel

« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2011, 02:06 PM »
It has always produced some nice slammers when the tide is incoming. And there are some big bass to be caught at night.
Flounder fishing has been pretty good the last couple of years by the CG station. Still good fishing there, just don't do it on the weekends.

I miss the tide-runners (big weakfish) that we use to be able to catch from there.

I do just as well just south of the Inlet at 3R's in the suds and I don't need corkers  :)
anyone fish the merrimack river in massachustts

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2011, 03:20 PM »

thats exactly the beach I usually fish. let me know when you go down and your reports! Ill be sure to do the same!

capedeer/fish

« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2011, 07:01 AM »
Quantum...if yer gonna be surfcasting the capeish area...go with 11 foot surf rod, nice penn/shimano mid level reel, 30-50# braid into 20-30# flouro leader. From there u can use this to throw large plugs into the surf and u can also add a hook and chunk the slack tides. You can even use this for slinging eels in the creeks or at the mouths.The initial purchase will be a lil pricey...but will last for years!
IndianHill Icetrap Pro Staff                                               SavageGear Product Tester         Dexter-Russell outdoors Pro Staff   ODM Rods Pro Staff

bunnyasassyn

« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2011, 12:36 PM »
sweet thread guys! im from western ny but my fam has a cottage on rehobath bay that we go to every summer for a week. we trailer the boat down there an usually just drift for flounders, but lately i've been expirimenting with different jigs, spoons, an swim baits. we always end up drifting back and an forth at the IRI. last yr the gulls started dive bombin the water so i tied on a big crocodile spoon an we pulled over there an got half a dozen nice blues b4 they left the area. it would be cool to hook up with someone who knew what they were doin down there...keep this thread goin!!

quantumreel

« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2011, 02:09 PM »
Quantum...if yer gonna be surfcasting the capeish area...go with 11 foot surf rod, nice penn/shimano mid level reel, 30-50# braid into 20-30# flouro leader. From there u can use this to throw large plugs into the surf and u can also add a hook and chunk the slack tides. You can even use this for slinging eels in the creeks or at the mouths.The initial purchase will be a lil pricey...but will last for years!
where is that area

bogmanjr

• KET-CHEN-ENY ?
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2011, 03:05 PM »

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2011, 06:03 PM »
sweet thread guys! im from western ny but my fam has a cottage on rehobath bay that we go to every summer for a week. we trailer the boat down there an usually just drift for flounders, but lately i've been expirimenting with different jigs, spoons, an swim baits. we always end up drifting back and an forth at the IRI. last yr the gulls started dive bombin the water so i tied on a big crocodile spoon an we pulled over there an got half a dozen nice blues b4 they left the area. it would be cool to hook up with someone who knew what they were doin down there...keep this thread goin!!

well said....this is a great thread...Im really suprised when I checked the Delaware pages, there was hardly anything....kudos to quantum for startin it!  :thumbup_smilie:

scavengerj

« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2011, 05:44 AM »
bunnyasassyn,
if your drifiting for those flounder skip those small minnows and squid strip baits. Go with some larger baits...4"-5" spot or larger jerk baits. We've done very well live lining the spot as well as using the 7" Gulp jerk shads the last couple of years. With the larger size limits on the flounder now it isn't worth it, to me anyway, to play with those "under-sized" fish. Last year between three of us we boated over 60 +19.5" flounder in four days. We managed our limits on a couple of days by noon and fished for fun the rest of the day releasing untold numbers of +19.5" fish.
Also using the 5" Gulp shrimp baits in new penny from the shore by the CG station as well as from Henlopen pier.

rebel,
I usually post my surf reports on a couple of other forums but will be happy to send you a PM with any info I have. I'll actually be going down within the next two weeks. Really won't be much happening but I am dieing to get out with my new outfit  :)

BTW, the Spring tournament is May 7th. Not too far away!!
Life is not a guided tour, but a journey
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2011, 06:55 AM »
looking forward to it scavenger! thanks.

bunnyasassyn

« Reply #26 on: Mar 14, 2011, 08:08 AM »
thanks for the info scavenger!! that makes a lot of sence to go to the bigger sized baits, we always fish just like you said with minnows and squid. i think this year ill get a jug of those big gulp baits and use them. we usually catch at least a hundred undersized fish while there which is fun but its a lot nicer to get enough keepers for a meal! any word on what the size limit is gonna be in de this yr?

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 14, 2011, 06:10 PM »
thanks for the info scavenger!! that makes a lot of sence to go to the bigger sized baits, we always fish just like you said with minnows and squid. i think this year ill get a jug of those big gulp baits and use them. we usually catch at least a hundred undersized fish while there which is fun but its a lot nicer to get enough keepers for a meal! any word on what the size limit is gonna be in de this yr?

well if its anything like years past...better add another inch to the total... :-\

havejigwilltravel

« Reply #28 on: Mar 16, 2011, 05:29 PM »
try   thebassbarn.com  for saltwater fishing info.

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 16, 2011, 06:22 PM »
try   thebassbarn.com  for saltwater fishing info.

thanks...oyster bay tackle has a website too...it lists delaware surf reports.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.