FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Big Bass should I mount it?  (Read 8662 times)

eriksat1

Re: Big Bass should I mount it?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 01:51 PM »
I brought it in to the taxidermist Tuesday, he said he will have the meat ready for me to pick up tonight. I find nothing wrong with the taste of bass as long as you treat the meat right. I soak the fillet's in milk overnight in the refrigerator and when I fry them up you couldn't tell the difference if it were walleye. If I didn't have it mounted I was going to eat it anyway. I know there are a lot of do gooders on here, but god meant for man to eat a fish or 2 also. It is the first bass I have ever taken out of that lake, and it doesn't get much fishing pressure. I was the only boat on the lake and it was opening day, we never saw another person all afternoon. The lake is in the middle of county forest land.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

The Prizz

• Southside Chi-towner
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 05:00 PM »
It's not the fact that God made fish to eat. With all of the posts that were talkin' about CPR, not 1 fisherman blasted ya for taking the fish at all. It's not a matter of being a "do gooder", it's a matter on most lakes (obviously not yours) that people are harvesting these fish as "meat" and not learning about LM being a sport fish that WILL grow to 10lbs PLUS if we let them go when we catch them at 4 or 5 lbs......I grew up hearing "let that one go to get bigger".......anyone else hear that from their dad, uncle, grandpa, cousin, probation officer, neighbor???

"""Yeah, 5# Largemouth Bass are the ultimate eaters :cookoo: """"....my qoute....

I've eaten bass, but it was from a private pond that wanted to eliminate some 14"ers, so the 3-4 lbrs had less competition for food so they could grow bigger.

***Let's teach our kids now to "let that one go to get bigger"...............

Eriksat1- NICE fish!!! I hope the mount comes out great for ya! You and your daughter will look at it every time and remember that special moment in your lives!!!!.........Prizz
Keep on keeping on!!!!!!!    Prizz

SwedishPimple

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 07:04 PM »
It was a nice fish.  I would not have mounted it.  Just not that large.  Enjoy the mount.  Congrats.

BBK

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 11:59 AM »
I brought it in to the taxidermist Tuesday, he said he will have the meat ready for me to pick up tonight. I find nothing wrong with the taste of bass as long as you treat the meat right. I soak the fillet's in milk overnight in the refrigerator and when I fry them up you couldn't tell the difference if it were walleye. If I didn't have it mounted I was going to eat it anyway. I know there are a lot of do gooders on here, but god meant for man to eat a fish or 2 also. It is the first bass I have ever taken out of that lake, and it doesn't get much fishing pressure. I was the only boat on the lake and it was opening day, we never saw another person all afternoon. The lake is in the middle of county forest land.

Congrats, you havent minded the taste of bass YET. when you taste that old female you probably will not like it. Up in that cold water I would estimate that bass to be about 10 years old, like eating a 20 year old cow... its going to be tough and gamey. big difference between a 1-3lb bass and an almost 6lb.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.