FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Electric trolling motors for row boat  (Read 7651 times)

yarn em in

Re: Electric trolling motors for row boat
« Reply #15 on: Apr 01, 2013, 08:36 AM »
Get one with autopilot and cruise control.  You won't be sorry.  

Also, the foot pedals on minn kota power drives, terrovas and maxxum have such minimal lag, you won't notice(i've ran mine numorous times off the back of a 18 foot boat and I have a bow mount....  Once you get the hang of a foot control it's not a big deal at all.  I much prefer my hand held wireless remote, but it's nothing to run off a foot pedal if the battery dies on my hand held.  
Im on a res that I have to leave it there also it's only a 14' so only want to spend  around 200.

NYSporty

« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2013, 02:06 PM »
FYI here is the write up on the regs for motors.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/press_releases/13-003pr.shtml

fishin4fun

« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2013, 10:47 PM »
Don't know if anyone mentioned that you can take the head off a transom mount and turn it 180 degrees. then put it back on and mount it up on the bow. alot cheaper than a real bowmounted unit. you'll have to come up with a L bracket to suport it. then run it by hand. that's how i got my first one. worked fine.

filetandrelease

« Reply #18 on: Apr 07, 2013, 07:55 AM »
if your trolling you don't want to be in the bow while all the work is at the other end  ;D I spend a lot of time trolling for eyes i like everything in arms reach, not running from one end to the other , such a waste of time, i have one set up for back trolling or jigging , and a bow troller , for the 14 your money ahead with transom mount and more controll   

yarn em in

« Reply #19 on: Apr 07, 2013, 08:22 AM »
I think I'm going with the transom. Dose anyone know if there is an extension for the controll handle as I don't want to have to sit the back seat and face the bow, would like to be in the middle faceing back like when rowing. Thanks for the input.

filetandrelease

« Reply #20 on: Apr 07, 2013, 08:34 AM »

yes they do , go to minnkota factory outlet store , they are running some deals , you should find what your looking for and they have the extensions also good luck and happy trolling

yarn em in

« Reply #21 on: Apr 07, 2013, 08:48 AM »
yes they do , go to minnkota factory outlet store , they are running some deals , you should find what your looking for and they have the extensions also good luck and happy trolling
Thanks Filet I will check the outlet store, good luck on them eyes also, hope to get out with snagger and get some too!

filetandrelease

« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2013, 09:06 AM »

hes a good fishermen , I enjoy fishing with him , he makes the ol buzzard work very hard but i got a couple of good years left   ;D

yarn em in

« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2013, 09:30 AM »

hes a good fishermen , I enjoy fishing with him , he makes the IL buzzard work very hard but i got a couple of good years left   ;D
yea hes good i fish the river a lot with him and finally got out on the ice with him for them eyes this past winter, totally hooked! He talks a lot about you all good of course.

d4ng3r3ux

« Reply #24 on: Apr 07, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Cheap way to go, tape your ore to the handle

filetandrelease

« Reply #25 on: Apr 08, 2013, 06:25 AM »
Cheap way to go, tape your ore to the handle

the extension comes off so he doesn't have to leave it with the boat , like he has to with the electric motor  [unprotected], and tape wastes a lot of time putting on and taking off  , tape can only be used once  ;D

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #26 on: Apr 12, 2013, 07:06 AM »
You can't tow this boat home with you at the end of the day? That is really odd. What if you want to fish somewhere else the following weekend? Or after work some night?

NYSporty

« Reply #27 on: Apr 12, 2013, 07:21 AM »
You cant because its a NY city water source.
The reg on the motor is ridiculous how can a trolling motor contaminate the water.
In perspective there is probably more surface area to my sethgreen rigs than trolling motor in the water.

yarn em in

« Reply #28 on: Apr 12, 2013, 07:27 AM »
You can't tow this boat home with you at the end of the day? That is really odd. What if you want to fish somewhere else the following weekend? Or after work some night?
Its a New York City res, the boats have to be steam cleaned before the are put on so when you take it off  your supposed to get it cleaned again. Same will apply to the motor. Also where my boats are there no ramps it's down over the gardrails then steep bank, so taking the boat off dosent happen. Thinking about hideing the motor.

filetandrelease

« Reply #29 on: Apr 12, 2013, 08:06 AM »

yarn em in, do they charge for the cleaning ? A bud of mine that has now passed away told me of a lot of the rules to fish the res's down there , I think maybe LG is heading toward the cleaning thing before launching it was rumored , even at Oneida i had people from Cornell check my boat twice last year stem to Stearn for invasive species , we had quite a interesting visit , nice kids

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.