FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing by Yourself vs. Having a Buddy  (Read 4690 times)

Woodburner

Fishing by Yourself vs. Having a Buddy
« on: Apr 19, 2005, 01:52 PM »
I know its a lot more fun to have a fishing “buddy” but I was wondering who out there fishes more often by themselves.  I’ve noticed that as life goes by so do different friends, by that I mean I’ve had friends that I’ve hunted and fished with and due to certain circumstances whether it be jobs, family or what-have-you we wouldn’t find the time to get together then before long I would have another fishing partner and the same.  Now I know what you’re thinking and no I’m not “losing” my friends, yes they’re still friends we just don’t get out like we used to.  Now I have my son and we spend time fishing but I know the time will come when he too will have “other” activities to tend to.  I feel that I will be fishing alone in the future and I would like to hear what others think about fishing by themselves.   Thanks  :o :o :o

beerman

• mmmm..........Beer!!
Re: Fishing by Yourself vs. Having a Buddy
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2005, 02:13 PM »
I usually fish with someone while i am at school. But when i go home i tend to be more by myself because i dont know too many people who go fishing almost everyday.  I also seem to catch bigger fish when i am by myself. I have to say i like fishing better with someone else but there is no way being alone is going to stop me from fishing. i guess the biggest problem is that it is harder to get drunk when you are by yourself b/c you know no matter what you have to drive.
I'll have a double Jack and Coke!!

mongo

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2005, 02:19 PM »
90% of the time it is just me along with my dog out in the boat, he never complains nor does he complain.

Master-Baiter

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2005, 02:50 PM »
50% of the time it's just me in the boat or out on the stream.  The other 50% is spent fishing with friends and family.  I seem to be more productive fishing by myself, but  the better memories have come from fishing with others.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2005, 03:15 PM »
60% of the time I am with friends and family, 40% I am alone.
Mastr -B8r is defiantly right there are many good times, and memories when you fish with others. It is so cool to see the reaction of others who have never fished before when they get their first fish. :thumbup_smilie:
 It is also safer to have someone around to help out if you get into trouble. :P

P.S It is also harder to land a big fish with out a net partner. :laugh:
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Big Zig

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2005, 03:50 PM »
I catch more fish when I'm by myself.  ::) ;D

Seriously, I do. I have more boat control when I only have to worry about one zone. That allows a more stealthy approach/technique when fishing structure, breaklines, weed edges, etc.
When you add one or more anglers to the boat, you now have two zones to keep tract of, and are limited to how you approach/fish structure. Unless, of course, your boat partner doesn't mind watching you fish.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2005, 04:27 PM »
My fishing buddy is my dad. Usually, we go together, but oftentimes split up quite a ways away. But we always take radios to stay in contact!

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2005, 04:41 PM »
I'm going to split this up...while fishing in a boat/canoe I really like to have a buddy, its nice to have the conversation and a helping hand landing the big boys (he/she can also take the photo)

On the other hand, when wadding or walking the shore line. I perfer to be alone. I tend to wonder off and try different areas. I dont like having to wait or worry about someone else as I move around.

PGKris

• Master of the micro leech
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2005, 04:44 PM »
Not much beats a weekend out at the lake/river catching a few trout and drinking a few brewskis with the boys. Mostly I fish on my own.....I find I get more fishing done that way and can actually focus on my fishing.......not what the guys around me are doing. And when you're alone in the BC backwoods......you're ALONE!
KRIS

Sailing team

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Bigfish57

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2005, 04:48 PM »
I fish alone 8o% of the time. When my freinds family or girl freind comes along it ushually just turns into a boat ride.
Anthony

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2005, 05:25 PM »
Woodburner, What you describe is part of life that we can all identify with. I probably fish with a partner 90% of the time, but there are times that I want to be by myself. Not because the fishing is easier, or better boat control, or the lack of anyone complaining. I JUST WANT TO BE ALONE!!!!! Is there anything wrong with that?
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2005, 05:36 PM »
I would probably prefer fishing with someone, seems to make the day that much more enjoyable.  But on the other hand, I have no problems going at it alone either.  Fishing is great both ways!!

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

Polar

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2005, 05:37 PM »
Woodburner, What you describe is part of life that we can all identify with. I probably fish with a partner 90% of the time, but there are times that I want to be by myself. Not because the fishing is easier, or better boat control, or the lack of anyone complaining. I JUST WANT TO BE ALONE!!!!! Is there anything wrong with that?

Hey thats what I was going to say. My split would be 70% with a fishing partner 30% solo.

archbishop

« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2005, 05:51 PM »
it depends on your meaning of fishing with somebody? 90% of the time i go with other people but then we all go our seperate ways meet up for lunch and head out again to our seperate ways of that 90% i fish with somebody half of the time working different holes or different shores and the last 10% of the time i go and fish all alone but thats open water on the ice i prefer partners

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2005, 05:53 PM »
For me it's about 50/50. I am either fishing alone or with one of my friends or my father. I really enoy fishing either way, company is great for talking and enjoying eachother but it doesn't make fighting a fish any more exiting. The only big advantage when fishing with others is it's a heck of a lot easier to take nice pictures!
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.