FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anyone gearing up for the Spring Crappie Spawn ?  (Read 10815 times)

surflizard

Anyone gearing up for the Spring Crappie Spawn ?
« on: May 01, 2011, 06:06 AM »
Normally as soon as the tree buds start to pop, our spring Crappie spawn get under way here ! Due to Health issues this spring, I can't put the boat in. Oh well, we'll get em next year. On our local lake, the bridge abutments are the main Crappie spawn staging area. I usually go out at night and cast Pin Shiners under a bobber into the bridge light shadow line. It gets pretty crazy out there sometimes, looks alot like a Piranha feeding frenzy ! I have seen them actually hit the bobber hard enough to send it flying thru the air ! :w00t:  Any Spring Spawn Crappie chasers out there ??

frost

Re: Anyone gearing up for the Spring Crappie Spawn ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:44 PM »
Here's a few for me from Monday...All over 11" with most being 13"...road runners tipped with minnows

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 05:54 AM »
Welcome to the site Frost, glad to have ya aboard ! Mighty fine collection of Slabs right there !  :thumbup_smilie:

whtmtntroller

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Im planning on hitting up crappies tomorrow, as this weather has rained on my MA turkey hunting trip plans. Anyway, they obviously are spawning and Im excited to get out there. never have fished for them in spring. will the same stuff i use in winter work?

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Welcome to the site whtmtntroller, glad to have ya aboard ! From what I've seen they are feeding pretty aggressively during the spawn, so whatever your used to using on them should work ! Good luck out there !

John-boat

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 09:51 AM »
Got a few the last couple days in southern Mi.  Don't think there quite there but there close.  Never really tried for them during spawn but from what I have read its usually when the water temp hits 60* ?  Water in most lakes around here is mid 50's.  So should be soon.

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 11:21 AM »
All the recent rain is holding the water temps down here also. I'll bet the Crappies are about ready to pop !!

kb

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2012, 05:47 AM »
I try to here in NY, but always seem to miss it
Life isn't about just surviving a storm, but learning to dance in the rain.

fontona19

« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2012, 12:39 PM »
I try to here in NY, but always seem to miss it

They haven't quite started in my local crappie fisheries. Should be any day now. I can't wait. I can almost taste those crappie sandwiches.  ;)

pole-ska

« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2012, 02:59 PM »
Hopefully hitting Chautauqua this week.  Anybody having any luck out there?

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2012, 03:56 PM »
We have had cold temps and wind right on the tail of that warm weather 2 weeks ago and the water temp is still below 42* !  :'(

masoneddie

• Happiness is a bent rod....Doh!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2012, 06:27 AM »
Going out for the first trip in about an hour or so. Can't wait to try a few new tactics, but just the thought of fishing instead of working already makes my day a good one. Wishing everyone a great season, and a Happy Easter.

fontona19

« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2012, 10:08 PM »
Got into a few slabs today, but the water temp is still a little low in my neck of the woods. Hopefully it heats up here a bit.

BoutTime

« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2012, 08:51 AM »
The time is fast approaching here in central Maine.

Hooked 1 huge one yesterday in a large backwater off the river. The weather looks like they will be piling up behind the bridge pilings in the river soon!

fishfins

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 08:35 PM »
Our spawn is just about over. We had VERY warm weather in late March and early April and then it got cold again(freezing nights). The only way to get in on the best of the action was to get out often. I caught  lots of 10"-13" crappies and these two were the biggest.
14 1/2"

171/4"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.