FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hudson Valley/Catskills Fishing  (Read 1605 times)

TheCrayfish

Hudson Valley/Catskills Fishing
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Hi everyone; I'm moving from Buffalo to downstate NY near the Hudson Valley.  I'll be TOTALLY unfamiliar with the territory, and wanted to know if there are any tips/hotspots that could get my summer fishing underway sooner than later!

I generally like to fish freshwater lakes for bass, perch, crappie and other panfish.  Not too big into the stripers, trout and the likes.  I know the entire catskills region is littered with little lakes and ponds that are buried in the mountains, which would be perfect for me.  How is it accessing these places, and how is the fishing?  I'll have a 16' aluminum boat on a small trailer, and I am looking into getting a canoe.

Also, I can't seem to get the NY "Lakes" page to come up - just the general NY State threads...whats up with that?  Thanks in advance.

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
Re: Hudson Valley/Catskills Fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Welcome to MFF! 5 posts are required to view the Lakes/Rivers reports boards.  ;) Depending on where exactly you're moving, lots of lakes/ponds/rivers in the area to fish. I'm not too familiar with that area, but a lot of guys are. You should definitely get some quick responses here!

-Zach

celt6

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Welcome, hey the Hudson Valley is a big place, need a little more specific area info, like you I moved from one place (22 Years) to another, lost all my spots both Hunting and fishing..... 5 Years later, still catching up!

TheCrayfish

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 12:11 PM »
Very cool.  I figured you had to have some minimum # of posts to get the rest of the threads.  I used to be on Ice Shanty a lot, but with Lake Erie in my backyard, I never needed any help finding fish on the open water!  But this summer will likely be quite the transition, but still a lot of fun.  So I'm givin' MFF a shot to expedite the process.  For what it's worth, I'll be moving to Sleepy Hollow, NY (near Tarrytown) sometime in mid-June.

celt6

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 01:15 PM »
Tarrytown? heck you are around the best Trout water reservoirs in NY State.... NYC watershed.  Kensico, is nearest ( very good) . However if you like more bass fishing, you can fish the reservoirs as well.

icedriller

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 08:14 PM »
welcome to the hv

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.