FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Just had an osprey tangled in my trout pond  (Read 2074 times)

taxid

Just had an osprey tangled in my trout pond
« on: Sep 09, 2018, 02:28 PM »
Was able to free it unharmed jiggling the lines that criss cross the pond that were hoped to keep it out and away from my trout. It flew off once it got up to the bank.  I hope it learned a lesson and won't be back.

Sorry no picture as I didn't know how long the bird had been in the water and time was of essence.

Pretty cool bird up close! (Although safe distance).

This is the first year I've had one around except a fly by last year during the solar eclipse.

The lines criss cross the pond with red duct tape tabs that I hoped would make the lines more visible.  Up until now the bird has preferred to dive bomb my other unprotected ponds with less valuable fish.

Here's the pond with criss crossed lines. Looks like next year if I can afford it a shade cloth or net staked above the pond will be in order. 

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

Re: Just had an osprey tangled in my trout pond
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2018, 02:35 PM »

Glad it went well , I’ve seen them on the river grab up smaller salmon and steelhead very cool

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2018, 02:42 PM »
I sell my trout which includes shipping for a minimum of $50.00 each whole frozen to taxidermists and replica makers from coast to coast depending on the species and size. It would make me cringe to see them carry even just one off. It did carry off a few as the bird first became a problem when I went on vacation this year. My dad was taking care of the property, and he said the bird was showing up up to 3 X per day! I didn't get the lines up until I got back. I'm glad I didn't witness it!

Just never had to. The only bird I've had to deal in the past were Great Blue Herons. And lines around the perimeter usually takes care of that although I do have a federal permit to take the herons out if need be. They are quite common here. The ospreys are reintroduced and spreading.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2018, 03:09 PM »
If I was raising fish I’d be psssd

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2018, 03:27 PM »
If I was raising fish I’d be psssd

I've been their done that but have to take a deep breath and realize an animal has no concept of profit and loss, property ownership etc. and is just looking for something to eat. And they were on the scene long before I was.

Now if the two legged variety with pants on was stealing from me that's a whole different story unless they were starving or something. Hasn't happened ... yet.

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2018, 03:36 PM »
I've been their done that but have to take a deep breath...

Now if the two legged variety with pants on was stealing from me that's a whole different story unless they were starving or something. Hasn't happened ... yet.

So no pants = go time at taxi’s trout emporium. I can deal, I hear the fishing is great!

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2018, 04:13 PM »
 :o  :police:

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2018, 08:21 AM »
you can substitute osprey in blue heron recipes, just so you know.  ;D

:wacko:  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.