FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: best brand of monofilament line?  (Read 41818 times)

TightLinesMaine

best brand of monofilament line?
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:47 AM »
looking for a new 6 lb test mono line to replace my Stren 6 lb for exclusively spinning reels, have loved Stren for a while with its 8 lb test but ever since i switched to 6 ive had a few problems, mainly when i snag bottom and i have no choice but to break my line it 90% of the time breaks right near the tip of the pole causing me to lose up to hundreds of feet at a time which is annoying for me and annoying for the fish/other anglers hooking my line...

i just bought some Spiderwire ultracast ultimate Mono 6 lb hoping this is better (havent spooled my reel yet),  almost went with Sufix Elite but the Spiderwire ultimate had a thinner diameter..

i'd like to hear some opinions on your favorite brand of mono and why, and if anyone has had my problem with line breaking at inconvenient places let me know

FWCanoeFisher

Re: best brand of monofilament line?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 11:20 AM »
I love the Berkeley Trilene XL Smooth Casting line.  This has always been a good line to me due to the fact that it doesn't give me any troubles on the spool and coming off.  It has a good amount of stretch so it can be extremely forgiving to a larger fish (I sometimes catch really large bass and catfish on 6 lb. test).  Visibility isn't an issue for me (How can you tell if the fish sees it or not?  ???).  It's just a great overall line.

t_fish969

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 11:26 AM »
You might look in to some Berkley Sensation. Its some pretty good stuff.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 11:28 AM »
Trilene XL...I use it for almost all my light mono applications, even ice fishing...

and if I want a tougher line, I go with trilene XT.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 11:32 AM »
ive used trilene and i wasn't a huge fan of it i had 2-3 lb largemouths break 8 lb trilene  (not sure if it was the XL or XT kind tho...)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:33 AM »
  if you can find gamma ultra clear, its hands down the strongest clear limp line I've ever fished, maxima ultra clear is the strongest, but its hard and not user friendly for casting, more of a river line... If I'm not using gamma ultra clear, trilene xt clear is nice line.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 10:17 AM »
I think trilene has way to much memory. I like sunline

mr tip up

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 01:39 PM »
I like the bass pro excel,has very low mem,cast good,and plenty of strength to it and you get a good amount of yards for the price
a bad day of fishing is better then a good day of work

gundogwanted

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 03:46 AM »
For mono, I like to use Sufix Elite or Sufix Siege. Also I like ANDE Tournament monofilament. For a fluorocarbon, I like to use Berkley Vanish Transition. a little highe priced, but I have great results with it.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 11:15 AM »
For mono, I like to use Sufix Elite or Sufix Siege. Also I like ANDE Tournament monofilament. For a fluorocarbon, I like to use Berkley Vanish Transition. a little highe priced, but I have great results with it.

I ALMOST got the Sufix Elite, but it had a little thicker diameter than SPiderwire ultracast ultimate mono, and i read a few poor reviews on the Sufix saying the knots dont hold well??

anyways after trying the new Spiderwire ultracast ultimate, i have mixed feelings:  it outcasts any other mono ive tried, tosses the lightest of spoons (1/32 1/16s ozs) very very far BUT... it seems to get knicked REALLY easily... have had it break off fairly easily after a while of using bottom bouncing tactics like jigs/tubes etc... whereas the stren 6 lb ive been using seems a bit more tough..

still havent found a perfect line yet... tho i gotta love casting across to the other bank of a 200 ft wide river with the spiderwire ultracast ultimate mono

anyone else use the Sufix Elite? id like to hear more opinions on this i might try it soon... the thicker diameter might make it tougher than most lines?

william berger

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 01:45 PM »
I'm going to go with the guys who say trilene xl. I fish a lot with ultralight rods and i do very well with trilene xl. Don't get trilene xt (unless you dont mind a lot of memory)

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 02:39 PM »
guess i bought 3 junk spools of trilene because i hated it just my opinion..

keep up the opinions i wanna hear em thx

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 12:31 PM »
Looks like you want to try something different, try McCoy Mean Green...

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 12:50 PM »

x2 on Ande tournament green.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 05:59 PM »
guess i bought 3 junk spools of trilene because i hated it just my opinion..

keep up the opinions i wanna hear em thx
I don't think it's just you, all the trilene I bought is really weak with terrible knot strength and terrible memory.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.