FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Driving a boat and trailer into Canada...  (Read 3333 times)

taxid

Driving a boat and trailer into Canada...
« on: Nov 22, 2021, 01:16 PM »
What are your experiences? I'm presently researching that for a potential trip up next summer, but would like to know what your experiences are. Didn't see anything about installed marine plywood carpeted floors yet. I've seen at least one reservoir in the U.S. where that they are forbidden in worries about exotic hitchhikers, and are more difficult to steam clean. It would seem Canada should be concerned about that?  And I would think border guards want easy access to all areas of a boat too?

My boat is a 14 1/2 deep v aluminum where I took out the aluminum bench seats, and installed a carpeted floor and swivel seats. It's not easy to lift up the floor but I could make it easier if necessary.

Thanks in advance!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rivereddy

Re: Driving a boat and trailer into Canada...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2021, 02:17 PM »
I can't speak to the cleaning aspect of a border crossing, but I do remember the need to have all of the insurance documents and title for both
boat and trailer.  We made the trip with a scout troup and one of the dads, whose family owned the lake cabin in Ontario, made sure that each
boat had its own folder with originals and copies of each document.  It really sped things up.

fish on,

rivereddy

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2021, 03:23 PM »
I have taken my boats to Canada, both into Ontario and Quebec, for many years and have never had any problems.
Make sure your worms are in bedding and/or cut up newspaper and NOT dirt.
On the way back make sure you aren’t over the fish limits and there’s a pc of skin on each filet for identification.
Have you boat and trailer registrations and proof of insurance.  And make sure you have your passport or an enhanced driver license, and you’re good to go.
No live minnows!!

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2021, 04:18 PM »
Be prepared for secondary.  Also dont be surprised when its harder to get back into the US vs leaving.  It takes a lot of border crossers by surprise.  Im sure this doesnt apply to anyone here but if you have an existing record for virtually anything they will turn you around.  Especially DUI. 

Right now a ton of Ontario is still in a severe lockdown.  I had thoughts of Simcoe this January but am finding it very difficult to find lodging that will have me.

Hardwater2

« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2021, 06:22 PM »
Nippissing and Simcoe have been on my radar the past few seasons. Been reluctant to go for these same reasons. Hope to get up there one day. Preferably if things calm down….

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2021, 08:05 PM »
I'm surprised they would't be concerned about bringing some exotic on our boats to their pristine waters.

Thank you for the responses.

Yeah I hear you Iowaccord66 on the DUI thing. A friend went up on a Bear hunting trip and one of their party had a DUI decades before. The border agents have all of that stuff on a computer apparently. He had to come up with some cold hard cash or they would not let him in. I think it was a couple of hundred dollars. Almost sounds corrupt if you ask me, but was told it's standard procedure.

On a funny note I went across decades ago to he Canadian side of Lake St. Clair, and the border agent was asking me questions. His accent was so heavy (I don't know where in Canada he was from but it wasn't a French accent) I couldn't understand a word he was saying. He was getting seriously upset at me when I said, "Sir I'm sorry I can't understand you."  Finally the wife jumped in and was my translator!  :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2021, 06:06 AM »
I am very fond of that lake Cecil.  Giant musky and #2 smallie lake in the world (Erie is #1) 

Let me know if you figure out where you are headed. 

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2021, 09:30 AM »
Believe it or not we went up after monster bluegills in the Chetogon Indian reservation area. We did O.K. but unbeknowst to us I found out later people were bringing back a few thousand at a time, and the Native Americans had a commercial gill net fishery going for them in the area, which probably reduced the numbers.

If I can find it I have a picture of a 55 inch musky in he mid 30 lb. range I mounted for a local caught in the Detroit River connected to St. Clair. Obviously sacrilegious to musky puritans, but it was what it was. Both the trip and the musky were at least 20 years ago probably more.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2021, 02:06 PM »
Some puritans forget fish die...

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2021, 03:03 PM »
Some puritans forget fish die...

Yup!

I have a 52 inch musky pedestal skin mount I'm finishing up that will go into a coffee table. No seam visible. Really rough presently with more fins to be added, apoxy modeling, and painting. Was caught through the ice of all things! Was caught locally.

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2021, 04:37 PM »
I love it.  Id love a replica of this tiger musky:

Stonecat

« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2021, 07:27 PM »
  Several weeks ago my friend and wife took a weekend trip to Niagra. Passports, covid vacs documentation in hand they tried to visit the Canadian side but were told they needed to pay 240ish each for fast covid tests before they could cross-over.They also weren't sure what it would take to come back. Soooo...they spent their money on the US side.
 I know your post was about boat and gear issues but things are fluid and changing on border crossings.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2021, 08:17 AM »
I love it.  Id love a replica of this tiger musky:

That was a nice tiger! What was the length?

Our state of Indiana had a tiger musky program for a while but stopped citing poor returns.

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2021, 09:01 AM »
That was a nice tiger! What was the length?

Our state of Indiana had a tiger musky program for a while but stopped citing poor returns.

42 on the dot.  3.5 short of the ice fishing world record.  Im tempted to chase that fish in the hope that its 45.5 now!

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2021, 04:01 PM »
42 on the dot.  3.5 short of the ice fishing world record.  Im tempted to chase that fish in the hope that its 45.5 now!

Yeah that's a big one. I always liked painting the skin mount tigers as they retain the striking bars -- just need to highlight them and a chromish background between them. The regular strain vary a lot and the markings fade out in the dried skin before painting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.