FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Shimano Curado Rods  (Read 1572 times)

slipperybob

Shimano Curado Rods
« on: Aug 08, 2022, 03:54 PM »
CDC610MLA

New models for the 2022 starting at $159, and this particular model was just recently added around July.  So it pique my interest some as I've been constantly searching for just those lighter casting models.  These Curado rods now feature the Hi-Power X blanks, which is an X shape carbon tape wrapped around the blank.  This is also a feature that the higher end rods have and it use to be on the Zodias rods for the low end.  What's more is these Curado rods are basically reproduction of the 1'st generation Zodias rods.  The rods have obtained the Ci4 reel seats with aluminum locking fore nut, Fuji Tangle-Free K guides with Fazlite inserts with Alconite tip, and split grip EVA Foam handles.  The prior models actually had the better Alconite inserts, full cork handles, and rubberized reel seats.

The 6'10" Medium Light power rod has 8 line guides plus tip.  Only the bottom blank from the stripper guide has a flex coat on it.  The other portion of the rod blank is an exposed raw blank.  The touch on it feels a bit rough, so no smoothing sanding finishing of the blank.  In a way I worry that the rough feeling will eventually wear out any line rubbing on contact.  Even one coating of flex coat would do the rod justice in my opinion.  Well that's in the long run, so it hasn't happen yet.  Perhaps it never will.

So on this rod currently is the Curado BFS reel with YGK SS112 10# braid.  As so far with casting 1/4 oz. practice plug it has been wonderful.  On the very first cast it was like in harmony.  Subsequent casts were confirming how wonderful this rod is.  It is performing almost like it's higher end models.  On my rather ease of casting I was averaging about 30 handle cranks to retrieve the practice plug.  With a little bit more force in the cast it was getting me about 34 handle cranks.  The rod rating is 3/16th oz to 1/2 oz lures.  Upon flexing the rod for a hand load test, it does appear the rod has a bit more backbone to it.  So in other words when the big ones bite, there will definitely be some power to hoist the fish.  Since I had just obtained an Expride A 6'10" ML spinning rod, I had to check the load curve side by side.  As it appears the Expride has a slightly slower load and bends a bit more into the rod.  I also have a Phenix M1 6'9" ML casting rod and the Phenix has a slower load curve in comparison as well.

As so far for my preliminary assessment, I am totally impressed with this rod.  This is a rod perfect of the example to never judge a book by it's cover.  Yes, there were a lot about it that seemed to not be worth a looking more into.  Even the made in Indonesia caught me by surprise as most of the other rod makes are produced in China.  Putting all judgment aside and giving the rod it's merits where it deserves, I like this rod far more than the Phenix M1.  Furthermore this rod is gonna move up into the first string round.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Mac Attack

Re: Shimano Curado Rods
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2022, 05:01 PM »
Nice report.
Thanks.

One comment - you should consider building your own.

Again, thanks.

slipperybob

« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2022, 09:15 PM »
Kind of always wanted to learn how to build rods.  Perhaps in the future.  Am still just learning how different rods are and then just learning what suits me best.

slipperybob

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2022, 05:18 AM »
Had given some more backyard practice runs with the rod and swapping out different reels with different lines.  Once again as soon as I put the Scorpion BFS reel on, it seems like the casting was improved.  That's mostly in part having to do with the reel.  So I decided to swap back to the other Curado BFS reel with the YGK G-Soul upgrade X-8 line in 14# listed.  This line is much thinner so I decided to practice with some lighter weights.  First up with a 3/16th oz. brass bullet weight.   To my surprise I was achieving the same casting distance with my 1/4 oz. practice plug.  I was still easily getting back just little over 30 handle cranks of line retrieval.  The rod tip still loaded perfectly fine with the lighter weight. 

Now I had to test the 1/8th oz. brass bullet weight.  I was prepared to deal with disaster.  Then on the very first practice cast, I was totally overjoyed at how amazing this set up was performing.  The 1/8th oz. weight was flying amazing far.  It was just a little shy of 30 handle cranks of line retrieval.  I kept that up for several more subsequent casts.  With an eased up side cast I was constantly getting 25 plus handle cranks of line retrieval.  That is just simply amazing.

Still overall the rod handling feel is just right for me.  Has a very familiar feel of a typical short rod but very good casting distance.  There is something about how this rod of 6'10" feels so much different from a rod of 7" feels.  One thing is for sure is that the feel of the rod weight and length must be factored into this.  This particular model has a weight of 3.79 oz. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.