FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1481335 times)

Perch-Pirate

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...
« Reply #9180 on: Apr 09, 2022, 01:28 PM »
I live a stone's throw from the Seneca nation....
A good portion of the allegany river runs through their land and 99% of kinzua reservoir (on the NY SIDE) is reservation....
When the spring is just right you can see piles and piles and piles of Seneca pounding the eyes in the river during the closed season... some absolute monster females caught....
NOBODY LIKES IT
LOTS of people get mad over it... however it's all done on their land soooo.. they are able to do whatever they want (and it doesnt bother me because that's just the way it is)
NOW.. WITH THAT BEING SAID......
The Seneca have had their own hatchery going for around 10 years now, and disbursed around 5 million fry (I believe that number is accurate) into the lake last year....
That most definitely helps keep the system going...
All hatchery fish are 100% cultivated from eggs and sperm from fish from kinzua....
Soooo... to me that is a compromise and a GREAT ONE AT THAT
After reading all the posts here I now completely see and understand what's going on here...
Definitely seems like these guys have possibly an alteriror motive but who knows
Senecas are doing it the right way. They know it pisses people off that they are spearing the spawning fish. So they found a compromise by opening a hatchery to show the people that they respect the fishery and want it to not only continue, but flourish.
They have a motive…..but they would have to be dumb as a box of rocks if they don’t understand what this means to our fisheries on Oneida. I guess they probably don’t care…didn’t care when they destroyed Black Lake either..

lowaccord66

« Reply #9181 on: Apr 09, 2022, 03:52 PM »
Most of the property along that creek is private. Most folks don’t appreciate trespassing. Hopefully, they call the law without confronting people. I’d make the call myself first in these times. I’m with Trap… lots of folks on here have native Indian heritage…..

Yup and it seems to me in reading some of these posts that some people really hate native americans...and all over some walleye.  Personally if they are spearing spawning fish that were previous hatchery plantings its like getting mad at a guy poaching pellet heads.  Call those walleye a natural resource if you want but if we have to stock them to keep a fishery healthy theres nothing natural about it at all.  Outside of that I think there's plenty of other things happening in the world to get fired up about.  Even funnier to read guys get bent about "rules for thee but not for me" in regards to native americans while the politicians we all vote for do the same...everyday.

cnypanfisher

« Reply #9182 on: Apr 09, 2022, 04:33 PM »
There is A protest going on tomorrow morning at 9 by the bridge adjacent to the hatchery.  8)

oneida1

« Reply #9183 on: Apr 09, 2022, 04:48 PM »
actually is my understanding very few walleyes are stocked in Oneida most walleyes from the hatchery go to other bodies of water to supply the whole state,,, I could be wrong any one else know for sure

Fishin-Mission

« Reply #9184 on: Apr 09, 2022, 04:56 PM »
It is my understanding that the Hatchery provides most of the Walleyes for state stocking. There are other tributaries that feed Oneida Lake where the Walleye spawn and replenish the lake naturally. It is not like Scriba Creek is the only area where the Walleye spawn on Oneida.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #9185 on: Apr 09, 2022, 05:03 PM »
While Oneida Lake is typically stocked with 150 million fry, the lake will not receive fry this year. The lack of stocking should not impact the Oneida Lake walleye fishery, as the adult population is abundant and at numbers higher than in more than three decades.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/119979.html
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

oneida1

« Reply #9186 on: Apr 09, 2022, 05:17 PM »
thks for info trap wasnt sure.....

trapper2000

« Reply #9187 on: Apr 09, 2022, 05:19 PM »
i didn't know either i just googled it ...interesting

Old Timer

« Reply #9188 on: Apr 09, 2022, 06:34 PM »
That's what I wondering what triggered this guy or group of people off to do this now?

What triggered Rachel May to write the law the Gov. vetoed ??   Remember her next election !!!!  Or should I say “forget her next election”.   By all means….

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #9189 on: Apr 09, 2022, 06:36 PM »
👍👍👍

Yotecatcher

« Reply #9190 on: Apr 09, 2022, 06:39 PM »
Exactly Old Timer there's more to this than a fish.
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #9191 on: Apr 10, 2022, 06:43 AM »
While Oneida Lake is typically stocked with 150 million fry, the lake will not receive fry this year. The lack of stocking should not impact the Oneida Lake walleye fishery, as the adult population is abundant and at numbers higher than in more than three decades.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/119979.html
That was from 2020…..

reeleyz

« Reply #9192 on: Apr 10, 2022, 06:47 AM »
That was from 2020…..

Correct. This year should be a normal stocking.

trapper2000

« Reply #9193 on: Apr 10, 2022, 07:14 AM »
that was the  latest  one i  could  find  the  idea  was  to answer  oneidas  question  how  many  walleyes are  normal stocked   on oneida  and the  answer  was " Oneida Lake is typically stocked with 150 million fry"..... i guess you could  call the  hatchery and  ask  about what they plan on releasing this  year

62 & Done

« Reply #9194 on: Apr 13, 2022, 11:39 AM »
Any info available on the Onieda shores launch ?  I know something was under construction there.  Is it reopened or will it be soon ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.