FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The chu  (Read 35554 times)

CMD1987

Re: The chu
« Reply #300 on: May 18, 2018, 01:41 PM »
I don’t know what is in that lake, but what you described sounds a lot like the white perch schools I have seen finning/boiling water in the middle of a lake. We would often see alewives jumping out of the water as you described as well on on lakes that had them.

They were jumping - easily seen - no more than 3-5 inches long, slender, and silver. And literally hundreds of thousands or more of them. I’m pretty convinced right now they were smelt. Looked somewhat like alewives jumping on Chauncey - but no alewives in the chu - the prominent baitfish is supposedly smelt.

CMD1987

« Reply #301 on: May 18, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Plenty of White Perch in there and big ones too. I saw the news last night on the tick problem. 26 to 30 on him in that short of a time :o :o Yikes. Make sure you check good. Iv'e only gotten 2 so far this year. Feel lucky after seeing that story.

I’ve only gotten one.

He almost certainly walked through a nest - you can end up with dozens when that happens! One of my worst nightmares! Gives me the willies!

zwiggles

« Reply #302 on: May 18, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Plenty of White Perch in there and big ones too. I saw the news last night on the tick problem. 26 to 30 on him in that short of a time :o :o Yikes. Make sure you check good. Iv'e only gotten 2 so far this year. Feel lucky after seeing that story.

I have been getting 5-10 ticks each night I go for a walk in the field/woods behind my house in the seacoast of NH. I always have gotten a few, but I pulled 15 off of me after one walk when I went looking for lady slippers. They’re brutal this year. Can’t be good for the moose or the deer, and I know I hate em!

zwiggles

« Reply #303 on: May 18, 2018, 02:05 PM »
They were jumping - easily seen - no more than 3-5 inches long, slender, and silver. And literally hundreds of thousands or more of them. I’m pretty convinced right now they were smelt. Looked somewhat like alewives jumping on Chauncey - but no alewives in the chu - the prominent baitfish is supposedly smelt.

That’s cool. Never seen the smelt jump out of the water, but I don’t doubt your instincts.

Maybe some bigger fish were swooping in and causing the aerial evasion maneuvers you saw.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #304 on: May 18, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Crappie?
not crappie. they were only in 3 ft of water and i couldnt see them so they had to be small and slender or something. it was getting dark too so that didnt help. they were dimpling all over and the school would get scared from side to side when i threw really small jigs at them to investigate.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #305 on: May 18, 2018, 08:25 PM »
i pulled around 50 ticks off me a couple weeks ago in one of the basins at wachusett. they were crawling all over me. none of them latched on though they were just crawling on my clothes and arms. i only seem to get them in the rivers and the basins. as soon as im past the causeway and on the main rez i dont get any.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #306 on: May 18, 2018, 10:24 PM »
never heard of so many ticks. must be  a huge collonie locked in around the chu.
Wicked Wec

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #307 on: May 18, 2018, 11:46 PM »
never heard of so many ticks. must be  a huge collonie locked in around the chu.
i was also trudging through knee high brush so it was kinda expected i would get a few but i never had any clue it would be that many

taxid

« Reply #308 on: May 19, 2018, 01:50 PM »
Do you guys tuck your pant legs in your socks and spray permethrin from your shoes up your pant legs? Permethrin is supposed to kill ticks within 5 to 30 seconds.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

manitron

« Reply #309 on: May 19, 2018, 03:00 PM »
Do you guys tuck your pant legs in your socks and spray permethrin from your shoes up your pant legs? Permethrin is supposed to kill ticks within 5 to 30 seconds.

I have ever since Will suggested that years ago.It really does work.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #310 on: May 19, 2018, 04:00 PM »
I would but I hear it's harmful to cats and we have 2 cats

taxid

« Reply #311 on: May 19, 2018, 09:20 PM »
I would but I hear it's harmful to cats and we have 2 cats

Change your socks and pants when you come in the house?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #312 on: May 19, 2018, 09:49 PM »
i could try that

CMD1987

« Reply #313 on: May 21, 2018, 08:49 AM »
15.3 lb laker - confirmed - caught and released yesterday - wish I caught it

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #314 on: May 21, 2018, 12:58 PM »
I thought it was caught last week. I saw the post on Facebook. Looked no where near 15lbs imo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.