FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The chu  (Read 35538 times)

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
Re: The chu
« Reply #315 on: May 21, 2018, 02:33 PM »
Nice fish either way :tipup:
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

CMD1987

« Reply #316 on: May 21, 2018, 06:36 PM »
Looked big enough to be 15 to me. Nice fish either way. The water is unseasonably cool and keeping them shallow. It was caught in ten feet of water while bass fishing.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2018, 08:23 PM »
i think the main reason more big ones are not caught is we are not using big enough baits. im going to try a 3oz savage on my canal rod. look at people up north they are using 12in plus baits and still catching 5lb lakers.

lowaccord66

« Reply #318 on: May 22, 2018, 02:22 PM »
i think the main reason more big ones are not caught is we are not using big enough baits. im going to try a 3oz savage on my canal rod. look at people up north they are using 12in plus baits and still catching 5lb lakers.

I caught a 14lber, 37" on a small spoon.  All of the 30"ers ive landed have been on baits shorter than 4".  Location and timing are more important I believe.  You have to get in big fish territory first, otherwise bait size is moot.

Bigger baits may help but only if you can determine where and when those larger lakers feed. 

Just like the canal.  Regulars know the holes the big bass frequent year after year.

If it were me stalker id trade the jig for a 12" dace.  Dead and on the bottom.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #319 on: May 22, 2018, 04:20 PM »
not saying smaller baits wont catch big fish because they do but a majority of the time a bigger fish will take a bigger bait. i used to talk to a dcr ranger who used to assist on the laker surveys and he told me that the large lakers they netted (20lbs or so) showed signs of cannibalizing smaller foot long lakers. some of the big fish are just accustomed to big bait. a fresh dead 12 in sucker sounds like a morsal though. location is a huge part of it though and there is a lot of luck as well but there are variables that can be altered to put more of a chance on your side.

I wonder if they would frown on using those rat lakers for bait.

taxid

« Reply #320 on: May 22, 2018, 04:59 PM »
If you were allowed to use a boat it would get you to some unexploited areas don't you think? And trolling would cover more water more efficiently.

So what is the logic behind not allowing boats when they are allowed on Quabbin?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #321 on: May 22, 2018, 05:50 PM »
not saying smaller baits wont catch big fish because they do but a majority of the time a bigger fish will take a bigger bait. i used to talk to a dcr ranger who used to assist on the laker surveys and he told me that the large lakers they netted (20lbs or so) showed signs of cannibalizing smaller foot long lakers. some of the big fish are just accustomed to big bait. a fresh dead 12 in sucker sounds like a morsal though. location is a huge part of it though and there is a lot of luck as well but there are variables that can be altered to put more of a chance on your side.

I wonder if they would frown on using those rat lakers for bait.

Hmm thats intetesting info on them eating each other.  I agree about considering all the variables and then planning an approach.  It definetly helps. 

CMD1987

« Reply #322 on: May 22, 2018, 06:35 PM »
If you were allowed to use a boat it would get you to some unexploited areas don't you think? And trolling would cover more water more efficiently.

So what is the logic behind not allowing boats when they are allowed on Quabbin?

The logic is that it’s closer to the consumer. Thus tighter restrictions. I’m not defending the logic - but that’s what I’ve been told. Even if that is the case - I personally see no reason it couldn’t at least be open to kayak/cartop boat/electric motors.

trophyhntr

« Reply #323 on: May 22, 2018, 07:00 PM »
funny this topic came up. last week I seen the small river down the street from me get stocked with trout. mixed in with the trout I caught a half dozen dace that I kept. rigged up my rods to sling them out at the chu. regrettably didn't make it out last weekend. hopefully this weekend I will. going to try and catch some big goldens as well this week...always wanted to try big baits at the chu and told myself this is the year I have to give it a few tries! we'll see what happens...

lowaccord66

« Reply #324 on: May 22, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Good luck.  I know the guy who nails all the giant lakers at quabbin and that is exactly what he does.  Big baits dead on the bottom.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #325 on: May 22, 2018, 09:05 PM »
Big baits at the chu is slow but that's fishing. You get a run though on a dead 12in bait you will be s****** yourself. ;D

taxid

« Reply #326 on: May 22, 2018, 09:43 PM »
The logic is that it’s closer to the consumer. Thus tighter restrictions. I’m not defending the logic - but that’s what I’ve been told. Even if that is the case - I personally see no reason it couldn’t at least be open to kayak/cartop boat/electric motors.

Thanks for the response but isn't the Chu the back up and Quabbin the main water supply? And if something happened to the water at Quabbin it would still be just as bad would't it?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #327 on: May 23, 2018, 12:18 AM »
Quabin feeds into wachusett. Then water from wachusett is used to drink

CMD1987

« Reply #328 on: May 23, 2018, 09:13 AM »
Thanks for the response but isn't the Chu the back up and Quabbin the main water supply? And if something happened to the water at Quabbin it would still be just as bad would't it?

Quabbin feeds into chu - chu feeds into Sudbury - and distributed further from there. And yes, if something were to happen in quabbin it would theoretically affect the whole water system - though they can close down the pipeline in several spots

taxid

« Reply #329 on: May 23, 2018, 01:55 PM »
Quabin feeds into wachusett. Then water from wachusett is used to drink

I see. Still don't buy the state's logic. If Quabbin allows boats than the others should too.

There are many other water supply reservoirs in the country that don't consider it an issue. I'm sure the water is treated before consumption anyway.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.