FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bluebirds  (Read 15682 times)

zwiggles

Re: Bluebirds
« Reply #150 on: Jun 07, 2021, 10:09 PM »
I’ve been meaning to add a perch atop the bluebird house. Great idea.

Rg

X2!

yankmyline

« Reply #151 on: Jun 17, 2021, 02:25 PM »
I have a pair nesting now. They got a late start. I checked the nest last weekend and she has laid four eggs but they aren't blue. She laid white ones.

yankmyline

« Reply #152 on: Jun 17, 2021, 02:33 PM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #153 on: Jun 17, 2021, 03:00 PM »
Awesome. We’re waiting to see if our pair will nest again. They’re still tending the first clutch, but I saw the male chase one of the chicks the other day and he’s been defending the nest box every day.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

zwiggles

« Reply #154 on: Jun 17, 2021, 10:00 PM »
Nice! I think ours have moved nest boxes, but are starting their second clutch of the year. We also have a Carolina wren nesting in an impatient we have hanging on the front porch. They are neat birds to watch as well. Hopefully they can successfully hatch out theirs as well.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #155 on: Jun 18, 2021, 08:10 AM »
Watch those wrens my friend. They’re nasty little birds and will kill the bluebird chicks if they don’t destroy the eggs first. When we had wren houses up ( all gone now) one pair killed 5 of the other pair’s chicks.

Pretty sure they were responsible for the demise of one clutch of bluebird eggs as well. Found them on the ground and in the nest box with little holes pecked in them.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

yankmyline

« Reply #156 on: Jun 19, 2021, 07:10 AM »
Bad news this morning. Went to check the nestbox and I tapped on the side but the female didn't move. I opened the box and the female was dead and two chicks dead. The other two eggs didn't hatch. I don't know what happened, there was no signs of injury. The female did have some kind of slime on her belly. That is the first time there's been a problem.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #157 on: Jun 19, 2021, 08:17 AM »
That’s a shame. Personally I’d replace the box with a new one. Hard to say what kind of contamination might be in there.

Rg

taxid

« Reply #158 on: Jun 21, 2021, 08:00 PM »
I cleaned up the Purple Martin house my dad built 5 years ago and made the openings smaller to keep out the sparrows and starlings that have been nesting in it. My dad just didn't have the time to deal with it due to the health issues of my mother and the constant supervision she needs.

Starling and English Sparrows have lost interest but a bluebird keeps checking it out. (No PM's yet). I believe the openings are too small for the bluebird also. The openings are now crescent shaped and only 1 3/16th inches high at the highest point.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

« Reply #159 on: Jun 21, 2021, 08:23 PM »
Watch those wrens my friend. They’re nasty little birds and will kill the bluebird chicks if they don’t destroy the eggs first. When we had wren houses up ( all gone now) one pair killed 5 of the other pair’s chicks.

Pretty sure they were responsible for the demise of one clutch of bluebird eggs as well. Found them on the ground and in the nest box with little holes pecked in them.

Rg

Hmm, I would be surprised if the Carolina wrens would mess with the bluebirds. I know house wrens do, but Carolina wrens are extremely poor fliers, and they actually seem to avoid the bluebirds overall.

zwiggles

« Reply #160 on: Jun 28, 2021, 07:28 PM »
So the Carolina wrens have hatched out of our hanging flower pot in our farmers porch, and these might be my favorite encounter yet with birds. All 3 of the eggs/chicks turned into fledglings today in the heat and took out from the hanging flower plant we had on our farmers porch. 3 cute little fluff balls bombed around the porch all afternoon and I spent quite a bit of time watching them. Once I sat in a chair for a bit they didn’t even notice me.

The parents seemed to rip open the nest today (maybe because if the excessive afternoon heat?) and forced them out I would assume. I got out of work, and the little buggers were under my feet as I stepped out the door. They are really awful flying birds, and the chicks were incredibly entertaining to watch as they figured out how to fly. Eventually this evening mom and dad corralled them into the top of our hanging Katsura tree and I think they may survive day one, and hopefully continue the momentum.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #161 on: Oct 10, 2021, 10:41 AM »
So a couple months ago after our bluebirds hatched out, the sparrows were trying to take over the house. The bluebirds were too busy with their little ones and couldn’t spend the time to defend their home.

So I took the front off the house. Put it back on yesterday and this morning, not only were they in the house, but defending it against a bunch of sparrows. Less than 24 hours since I put the front back on.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #162 on: Nov 07, 2021, 06:39 AM »
Bluebirds are hanging around.

They like that mealworm block.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.