FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 515174 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2820 on: May 01, 2019, 03:02 PM »
I was gonna comment on the 10-10-10, but, everyone gardens differently. What I've learned is that chemical fertilizers actually weaken the plant by causing artificial growth. Nutrients don't stay in the soil, nature never has a chance to build its own system.

Only my annual flowers get the man made stuff. Nothing but organic stuff and compost on the veggies.

I can thank Dom for that.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishinjohn

« Reply #2821 on: May 01, 2019, 07:25 PM »
John why would you ruin perfectly good compost by adding chemical fertilizers to it?
There's not a plant on earth that uses
10-10-10 fertilizers.
10% nitrogen
10% phosphorus
10% potassium
All you need is organic compost and some perlite...
By a couple bags...
I'm always willing to try something new... I'll skip the 10-10-10 and try perlite and see what happens

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2822 on: May 02, 2019, 07:28 AM »
I use perlite and vermiculite along with organically certified compost and manure. Since my soil has a lot of clay I also add sand and peat moss.  I don't make compost as well as I should. Probably ought to work at it a little harder.

For anti fungal and pest control, I've had good success with Neem oil and diatomaceous earth. Japanese beetles are the exception. They pretty much leave my garden alone, but they go after my full grown asparagus with a vengeance. They get a malathion bath.

Won't be too much longer and I'll be putting pickles, tomatoes and peppers in the ground.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2823 on: May 05, 2019, 12:23 PM »
Things are coming alive in my.yard finally..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2824 on: May 05, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Looks nice Dom. My Bleeding heart is blossoming along with the tulips and daffodils. On a great note, I harvested a nice pile of fat radishes from the hot box. Also transplanted the zucchini plant to the garden.

Rg

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #2825 on: May 05, 2019, 08:42 PM »
Looks nice Dom. My Bleeding heart is blossoming along with the tulips and daffodils. On a great note, I harvested a nice pile of fat radishes from the hot box. Also transplanted the zucchini plant to the garden.

Rg
You already harvested radish? I'm super Jelly as the Kid's say these days  ;D

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #2826 on: May 05, 2019, 08:43 PM »
Things are coming alive in my.yard finally..

Man I love your place Dom, Such beautiful Scaping.  8)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2827 on: May 06, 2019, 05:52 AM »
Nice job on the radishes Bob..
Thanks Ed but I bet your tiles in your house look better then mine ,you can do it also at your new homestead.
I was just lucky to have a backhoe at the time and got most of the stone off my property.... I just wanted it to fit into the woods and not have square paving stones....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2828 on: May 06, 2019, 06:00 AM »
My bleeding hearts are about a foot tall. In a week or so I should have a wall of them....

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2829 on: May 06, 2019, 02:14 PM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2830 on: May 06, 2019, 04:16 PM »
Looks like you're ready for Mothers Day Dom.

Hey, what would you recommend for a good ground cover vining plant? Partial shade. 2-4 hours of morning sun.

I want to train something for a boarder around a planting in my front yard.

Bob

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2831 on: May 06, 2019, 04:36 PM »
Perennial or annual?
Vinca vine is a good annual.  Would have to check on perennials..

zwiggles

« Reply #2832 on: May 06, 2019, 04:55 PM »
Hey, what would you recommend for a good ground cover vining plant? Partial shade. 2-4 hours of morning sun.

I want to train something for a boarder around a planting in my front yard.

Bob

Pachysandra is another option we used to use in landscaping in addition to vinca. Hostas are another great filler for more shady areas. You can get some smaller variants like “mouse ears” for hostas which would eventually spread like a ground cover.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2833 on: May 06, 2019, 06:58 PM »
Perennial or annual?
Vinca vine is a good annual.  Would have to check on perennials..

I'm trying hard to go perennial for the most part. Annuals are the colorful fillers in my gardens.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2834 on: May 07, 2019, 05:27 AM »
Pachysandra is nice but make sure you plant it inside a weed barrier because the roots will spread all over the place...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.