FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tough Fish!  (Read 3189 times)

taxid

Tough Fish!
« on: Mar 23, 2020, 07:06 AM »
As sensitive as they can be to handling etc. once in a while we see how really tough a fish can be.

I seine up this female yellow perch every year and release her back into the pond. It's not as dramatic looking as when she was smaller (at first looked like a person had actually taken a big bite out of it), but something took a clean bite out of her just behind the head at some point. She healed up and as you can see is otherwise healthy. I think I've seined this fish up for four or five years in a row. I figure if she survived that she deserves to live a long life.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Tough Fish!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2020, 09:13 AM »
Wow, that's a big girl too!

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Lake Erie strain that are feed trained, which means I feed them just about every day except in the winter.

It's amazing what a fish can do if they get all the groceries they want e.g. Great Lakes salmonids vs. stream fish.

I did grow one that was 5 ounces bigger than the state record just over 16 inches 15 years ago, but haven't seen one that big since. So something else is involved with record size fish. Obviously genetics. These fish top out in the 15 inch range.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2020, 02:57 PM »
Maybe you can get some of the ones from cascade lake?
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2020, 03:16 PM »
Maybe you can get some of the ones from cascade lake?

For Broodstock?

The truth be told I recently saw a picture of one that looks like it was 16 inches from Cascade. The angler confided in me it was only 13 1/2 inches. It was one of those push into the camera deals. I'm seeing a lot of pictures of fish these days that for some reason the fish look much bigger than they are. Special lense?

I remember all the hype about Devil's Lake North Dakota years ago. Nice perch but I had bigger ones in my pond.

seamonkey84

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2020, 11:01 PM »
Yes for broodstock. I hate the pose of pushing the fish out towards the camera, but I’ve seen videos of them being caught and measured at 16-17”, and the guy was still waiting for the big ones.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2020, 12:58 PM »
Yes for broodstock. I hate the pose of pushing the fish out towards the camera, but I’ve seen videos of them being caught and measured at 16-17”, and the guy was still waiting for the big ones.

I still contend some are using a special lense that makes them look bigger without pushing them into the camera.

I have to actually see a 16 to 17 inch perch on a measuring board to believe it. Sorry but I've seen a lot of fakes or that camera was left at home only for the 16 to 18 inch fish. Seems suspicious to me.

tomturkey

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2020, 05:14 PM »
Taxid

I have an honest 17 inch perch on the wall. Sorry with the mess that I have on this computer I am not able to send you a picture. The edition of windows I have does not allow me to copy and paste.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2020, 09:40 PM »
Taxid

I have an honest 17 inch perch on the wall. Sorry with the mess that I have on this computer I am not able to send you a picture. The edition of windows I have does not allow me to copy and paste.

If you email it to me I can post it for you. [email protected]

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2020, 09:42 PM »
Taxid

I once kept 200 bluegill in Massachusetts where most people, but not all, consider them trash fish. It was my honeymoon and I filleted fish until 1 A.M. Never kept that many again. Takes the fun out of it

tomturkey

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2020, 11:15 AM »
Taxid I have tried to send you the picture. with windows 10 on this computer you can not copy and paste. I will see if I can find the picture on a thumb drive of the pictures off of my old computer. If I can find it I will put the thumb drive in the wife's computer and print it. Then I can snail mail it to you.
Tom

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2020, 12:28 PM »
Taxid I have tried to send you the picture. with windows 10 on this computer you can not copy and paste. I will see if I can find the picture on a thumb drive of the pictures off of my old computer. If I can find it I will put the thumb drive in the wife's computer and print it. Then I can snail mail it to you.
Tom

Just remember I don't do texting. I am probably the last person on earth without a cell phone!

tomturkey

« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2020, 06:24 PM »
Taxid Though I have a cell phone I do not text. I have enough trouble hitting the right keys typing on my computer. On a phones small keys it would be pure gibberish. I am about to stick the thumb drive in my computer. There a hundreds of pictures to go through on the thumb drive so it is going to take a while.

Tom

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2020, 07:24 PM »
Taxid, there are two of us. We don't have cell service here...h2l

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2020, 09:01 PM »
Taxid, there are two of us. We don't have cell service here...h2l

The last two on earth!  :rotflol:

Actually I got a hand me down iPhone from the wife before going on vacation in Mass a few years ago. When I fell out of the kayak into the water getting out of the kayak to take whiz -- it got wet in my pocket, and did a sizzle -- and that was the end of that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.