FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628247 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1680 on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:57 PM »
Can anyone use some Elk hair?    I have some left over from this...    ;D
][
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1681 on: Feb 23, 2014, 02:56 PM »
nice, I like the post holder
About $6 if I don't count the hackle pliers I already had ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #1682 on: Feb 23, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Judging from that elk mount, you're right in there too Dom.

Very nice Gump. A classy build for sure. Enjoy your newest friend. 

Bart, Have you ever messed around with Loon UV coatings? Some of those ties are crying out for clear UV heads. Looks like you're in for some serious fun.

RG

No, but have been interested for some time on UV stuff like Clear Cure Goo, etc.  I need to make a move when the wife isn't paying attention to the check book.  :D    Fly tying has no boundaries.   

Nice Adams.

Nice elk.

BTW,  I cured cabin fever this afternoon and hit some special regulations waters with the fly rod and landed a donkey.  The fly? Good old black woolly bugger.   ;)

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1683 on: Feb 23, 2014, 07:31 PM »
My next tie:  maribou damsel

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1684 on: Feb 24, 2014, 01:44 AM »
Bart,

I'm jealous!

UV IS something you need to play with.

Clouser without UV

Clouser WITH uv

UV Bluegill fry

It needn't break the bank. I got my light on Ebay for less than $10. It just needs to be in the 400nm range to set the goo. The UV in 1/2oz is also around $10. More than enough to experiment. A 4 oz bottle has lasted me a couple of years with lots left. It's $25.

Once zapped with the light it hardens pretty well. I find that putting them in a sunny window will make them hard as a rock. Those clousers are indestructible. It's so quick you won't believe it.

I like that Damselfly pattern. I visit the Warm Water Fisherman quite often for patterns. Great site. Check out Flyanglersonline too. Super instruction there.

I might take a whack at that one too ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Gump

« Reply #1685 on: Feb 24, 2014, 06:45 AM »
That is very nice...   Some awesome talent on this thread...   Wish I had some... sad

Says the taxidermist with an elk mount... ::)

Nice ties guys keep them coming...

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

MBrown4

« Reply #1686 on: Feb 24, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Hey rg, ever think about making a free moving tail on those bluegill fry? Maybe a bead chain or tie in another hook with the point cut off like a wiggle stone?

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1687 on: Feb 24, 2014, 12:50 PM »
Says the taxidermist with an elk mount... ::)

:P :P :P     ;D ;D ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1688 on: Feb 24, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Hey Gump...Be nice to Dom. He's got a bunch of elk hair left over :w00t: Every time I see a nice mount I think, "Man that's a lot of flies!"

Can anyone say Elk Hair Caddis ;D

MBrown,
I don't tie many jointed flies. Post some pics and instructions. Love to try it.

RG

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1689 on: Feb 26, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Well, I couldn't wait for the recommended materials to come to tie the dragonfly nymph so I winged it.  Copper wire for the rib instead of V-rib, glass eyes melted on mono instead of plastic bead chain & peacock for the thorax instead of pheasant tail:

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1690 on: Feb 26, 2014, 11:22 AM »
Oops, I meant damselfly, not dragonfly.  I likey, hope the gills do ;D!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1691 on: Feb 26, 2014, 04:21 PM »
I like it :clapping: Nothing like "Winging it".

I scored an awesome cape on Ebay,

I needed some good quality brown hackle for some Adirondack style flies and found this for $40. Haven't seen the likes of it for less than a C-note ever since that douschebag Steven Tyler put feathers in his hair for TV 5 years ago.

Just a really good fiber count. It's gonna make a lot of pretty flies.

I also got a new UV laser for my Loon UV cure goo.

Man, it's 100 times more powerful and cures the stuff like a rock. Also from Ebay for less than $20.

MORE STUFF ;D

Sorry about the ugly thumb. I guess I bashed it somewhere.

RG

MBrown4

« Reply #1692 on: Feb 27, 2014, 01:11 PM »
I've o lyrics tied 2 segmented flies re and those are both stoneflies.found patterns online.one is bead chain where you lash it to the back of your hook after tying your biots onto the last link.you take the ball off of coarse.the other is just a cheap hook you tie your tail on, cut it at the bend of the hook and use a piece of mono to connect it to your main hook.ive only been tying for 12 Years on and off so I'm sure you guys with more vice time can whip something up.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1693 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:08 PM »
I've done some segmented stone flies as well. They work and are fun to tie, but I don't think the catch rate is that much better.

RG

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1694 on: Feb 27, 2014, 04:13 PM »
RG....I'm looking for a good clear coat for my small jig heads that will take the abuse & not yellow.  I really don't want to use 2 part epoxies.  I've been looking at CS Coating UV Blast Clear Seal Coat.  No mixing or measuring, according to their info.  I figured you make jigs, too.  If so, what do you use for clear coat?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.