FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628263 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2055 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:52 AM »
I prefer the super glue gel  in the  blue squeeze bottles ,get mine at Wal-Mart  3 bucks a bottle I think ...... the  foam like  RG  says  any craft store  micheals  has a lot of  earthy colors !  and I use  the cutters  I can punch  out 100  bodys while I have a coffee ....bart foam opens a  new world to you and is a lot of fun

RG the  hackle pliar burner  is away anyone can burn a matching set in a  few seconds , get yourself a  set of may fly wing burners! you'll be  very  pleased you did .....

bart I love classic catskill style  I like the classic streamers also but I  just like  to work at the bench and  fly fish ....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

boondox

« Reply #2056 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:03 AM »
Played with a Tricos spinner pattern today. I started at # 20 tmc 100s. I'm working my way down. A good test for the old eyes and new bench setup. So far....so good.

I did Palmer a few but my capes aren't really suitable for these tiny flies. I'll have to go looking :-\ wasn't really sure what length to make the wings so I kinda varied them.

Rg

very nice trico's i tie mine with just thread no dubbing when i get past 18's  the dubbin builds up to much and is a pain to tie them... i use all white trico thread 17/0 thread and hit the thread with a sharpe black of course...  i also use micro fibetts  for tail and  white poly for the wing... i will have to do some tieing sooner or later any ways great job so far...   keep the pictures coming

boondox

« Reply #2057 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:12 AM »
here is some pic's of the trico i just tied..yep that three wings on a size 20 hook the second set curved in a tad sorry.. and i took the picture on my favorite hat to give it some scale...lol's   

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2058 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Nice double on a size 20.

Did  someone say Adams?

I save hackle tips for wings. The ones on the left are 14's and obviously traditional style. The others are my style. 10's float better with deer hair wings and tail. Like Trapper, I trim the bottom hackle to make them sit right.

What kind of  knot do you guys use with the Tricos? They always give me fits.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #2059 on: Mar 24, 2015, 11:25 AM »
what kind of knots you talking about on the trico's rg ? also i dont clip the hackle below by the hook point and mine rides fine...  reason being i met a guy at a fly tieing show in michigan from the catskill mountains. his tip to me was to tie it true your going to need one size hackle smaller then the hook size... this is  cause of build up it come out the same size as a 14 with a 16 hackle  the 16 hackle is the right size for a 14 hook... by build up i am talking thread like that and the wing like if you use calf tail for a parachute  posted wing etc the thread on top of the calf builds up so to tie it true to style you need to use one size hackle smaller like a size 16 hackle on a size 14 dry fly...    this make the proportion's right for that fly and they will sit right on the hook point just like yours with the hackle trimmed underneath...  here is another thing i check is that the hook right the fly by tossing it in the air if it land hook bend  down it a good fly to me... cause when casting the hook bend acts as a keel to the fly  like that of a sail boat and rights it self if done to true proportions... any ways nice tie o nthsoe adam's!   

zjlooney

« Reply #2060 on: Mar 24, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Its time for ice out pike in my neck of the woods.  Here is a little bit of what I've been working on!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2061 on: Mar 24, 2015, 01:10 PM »
Holy moly! Those are substantial flies. Great stuff!

Boon, I was talking about the knot to attach the trico to your leader.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

zjlooney

« Reply #2062 on: Mar 24, 2015, 01:45 PM »

Rg

Substantial flies for substantial fish!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2063 on: Mar 24, 2015, 02:27 PM »
It was so blastedly cold out Sunday afternoon that I stayed inside, watched some basketball, and played at the vise for a while.

One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2064 on: Mar 24, 2015, 03:10 PM »
Nice stones!

Found my wing burners Trapper.

Spose I should use them ::)

Rg

boondox

« Reply #2065 on: Mar 24, 2015, 03:14 PM »

Rg

clinch  knot or uni knot for the trico is what i have used..  but i use 7x or 8x leader tippets which is like 2 or 1 pound test in that order..

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2066 on: Mar 24, 2015, 04:11 PM »
zjlooney  your  flies  would  work in the  surf  i'll  tell you that 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2067 on: Mar 24, 2015, 04:54 PM »
Nice job guys...      :clapping: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2068 on: Mar 24, 2015, 04:58 PM »
This has been a fun topic from the start. Always something new and creative.

Thanks everyone for contributing .

Rg

zjlooney

« Reply #2069 on: Mar 24, 2015, 05:05 PM »
zjlooney  your  flies  would  work in the  surf  i'll  tell you that 

Well I'm a long ways from the surf...unless the wind is really howling! The pike sure seem to enjoy them!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.