FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628188 times)

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2265 on: May 30, 2015, 08:17 PM »
Hey...does anybody have a recipe for an old fly.....called double martini. Great blue gill fly, purchased a couple many moons ago from 'Dickey's ice fishing catalog. They had all kinds of bugs,flies etc. I then used to tie my own copy that worked quite well but haven't used one or tied one in a long time...I kind of remember a n orange short yarn tail, black chenile body, rubber legs and black hackle. Would like a picture of one. Am planning a little more fly fishing blue gills.
Thanks n advance,
icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2266 on: May 31, 2015, 01:28 AM »
Found this.

Kinda looks like a "whatchagot fly". Tied with all the leftovers on the bench. ;D

I'll take a whack at it later. Stupid storm woke me up. Pretty wild out there.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2267 on: May 31, 2015, 04:35 AM »
when it hit ,it hit fast yesterday not even enough time to get inside! we have wind damage  gluider swing blew off the deck ans concreted mail boxes ripped out .least it will be cooler now
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2268 on: May 31, 2015, 04:42 AM »
No damage here that I can see yet. USGS reads my creek up 7 inches so far. Rain today, heavy rain predicted tonight and rain tomorrow. Gonna be a washout for the stream.

Glad I spent 6 hours wading yesterday morning.

Hey........let's see your favorite rubber spider patterns everyone. I'm looking for ideas.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

icejohn

« Reply #2269 on: May 31, 2015, 12:34 PM »
Found this.

Kinda looks like a "whatchagot fly". Tied with all the leftovers on the bench. ;D

I'll take a whack at it later. Stupid storm woke me up. Pretty wild out there.
Rg

You are awesome Bob.....I've been looking for this for years and years and you found it thanks so much....it's a little bulkier than I remembered but this is it.
I will be trying to tie it today.
Thanks again,
John
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2270 on: May 31, 2015, 12:45 PM »
No problem John. Love the old patterns. That's the only picture I could dig up.,there was another similar but not as much stuff on it.

Rg

icejohn

« Reply #2271 on: May 31, 2015, 08:32 PM »
well i tied a few "double martini's" as you can see i need a little help and practice to getting it to look better....it seemed i did much better than this years ago when i was younger and more nimble.[/URL][/img]

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2272 on: Jun 01, 2015, 02:06 AM »
Looks pretty doggone good to me. Toss them at some gills and see how it looks to them ;D

Actually, that's a complicated little bug to tie. Lots of stuff going on there. If I get my truck done later I'll take a whirl at a couple. I know I have enough stuff around to make one.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2273 on: Jun 01, 2015, 04:20 AM »
So....here's my first attempt.

Not so bad. I kinda like it ;D

Rg

icejohn

« Reply #2274 on: Jun 01, 2015, 06:40 AM »
rg...that looks great, i had trouble after i laid down the black chenille then i tied the yellow down but trying to leave the thread in the middle.
yours looks like the yellow was tied in later? and also the rubber legs, i just tied them to the side but yours and the original looks like they're kinda point forward and the hackle, i probably don't have the right material, i'll have to try to get some ....hopefully i'll get it eventually. i'm sure the gills wouldn't care so much but i would like to make it look a little better.
thanks again bob,
john

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #2275 on: Jun 01, 2015, 06:48 AM »
I don't want to give away any of RG's secrets, but he may have "tried a double before he tied a double"....h2l

myemmy

« Reply #2276 on: Jun 01, 2015, 06:57 AM »
Hey, rg where,s those pictures of the deer hair bass bugs ,mouses, etc ???  thanks.

boondox

« Reply #2277 on: Jun 01, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Hey, rg where,s those pictures of the deer hair bass bugs ,mouses, etc ???  thanks.

try pgs 147-149 has some bass bugs  if need be i can tie some up rat mice i love tieing them...

if looking to tie deer hair start poking around white tail fly ting supplies  i think there in ohio there close friends of chis helms he recommend them...  also if want to get in to deer hair pick up his ""chris helms""  video collection  most the one with him looking over his shoulder with a mirror show every thing need to get started thread etc etc  how to stack pack etc... any how it is worth the video price i did his seminars $400 and it hard to remember what he did.. with a dvd you can play back till you got it several times and a lot has to do with the break strength of the thread so keep it in mind of what thread he is using...   

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2278 on: Jun 01, 2015, 03:18 PM »
I don't want to give away any of RG's secrets, but he may have "tried a double before he tied a double"....h2l

Nope....honest first try. Did it at about 4:30 or so this morning.

Here's what I did John.
Start the thread at the eye and lay down a base to the tail.
Tie in the tail. I used a bunch of red hen hackle fibers then trimmed them short like the sample.
Tie in the black chenille at the mid point and secure it back to the tail.
Bring the thread forward to the mid point.
Wrap the black chenille to the midpoint and tie it down with several good wraps.
Tie in a black hen saddle hackle about halfway back on the hackle and by the tip.
Trim the excess hackle and take three or four wraps with the hackle.
Tie down the hackle and trim the butt end away. Tie in a pair of legs on each side and end with your thread in front of the legs.
At this point I took a couple of half hitches to secure the thread.
Tie in the yellow chenille and carry the thread to the eye.
Take one wrap with the chenille between the rubber legs then wrap to the eye and tie it off.

I can do a gopro for it if needed.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2279 on: Jun 01, 2015, 03:24 PM »

Trapper is way better at spinning deer hair than I am. He's the one we need to trap.  ;D

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.