FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628108 times)

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2280 on: Jun 01, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Nice job on the "Double Martini" Rg...

It's cool recreating old stuff like that. I like your description of the pattern, seems quite simple. I notice you used red hen hackle for the tail but I'm sure a snippet of red yarn would be fine as well, kinda like the tag on a Black Nose Dace streamer (I say this because I don't have any red hen hackle  ;D). Speaking of old fly fishing/tying stuff... not long ago my Mrs. brought me home a small box of stuff from her Mom's that she thought I'd be interested in. Her Dad was collector of all kinds of outdoorsy stuff and in this box were some odds and ends fishing related items. There were several fly fishing leaders marked "Selected Gut Leader"...Queen City Brand, Elmira Arms Co., Elmira, NY. (which is about 7 miles from my home). These came from the original Elmira Arms Company back in the 30's... NOT the same name company that sold guns and ammo in the area in recent years. They're still on their original cardboard template and the directions read "Soak well before using".

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2281 on: Jun 01, 2015, 04:37 PM »
Great find. I've never seen a gut leader. Is it tied in sections?

A good friend of mine has gifted me with a bunch of different stuff including some 1950's and 60's  vintage Cortland Fly Line Cleaner tins. Cool stuff for the shelf.

I'm guessing anything red would do for the tail. The original looks to me to be marabou. I'm hoping to try one tomorrow morning.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2282 on: Jun 01, 2015, 04:52 PM »
I know this isn't some old pattern brought back to life, but I found it interesting and I think I'm going to tie a few up. Not so much for trout, although I'm sure it's a great one for that, but I want to get some streamers tied for Smallmouths which I'll be pursuing soon enough if the rivers don't get dirty from storms. I happened across an old issue of "Fly Fisherman" magazine from May 1996 while looking for something else so I started flipping pages and found a pattern for a "Matukabou" streamer. Now I'm sure most of you know what a Matuka streamer is so I'm not going into that, but this variation just flipped a switch for me. Sorry I can't post the pics and info from the magazine article, but here's a link to a version of it...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/fotw/2012/fotw20120827.php

Now mind you... I'm not dissing the guy's version in the link I posted, but It's not as nicely done as the photos in the magazine and I think he kinda skimped on the Marabou and he's tied it kinda sparse. You all know how quick Marabou can get beat up. Several differences are that the tier in the magazine (Mike Martinek Jr. from Franklin Mass.) ties in some Krystal flash after tying the tail tuft in and he doesn't tie in a hackle feather after his last tuft is tied in... he uses either a short tuft of red Marabou or webby hen hackle as a throat.

He (Martinek) suggests tying it on #2-10 streamer hooks, or a #10 wet fly for panfish and trout, but also mentions that he's had the best success with sizes #8 through #2 streamer hooks with black and purple being his favorite colors and yellow and white as alternate colors.

Just something I thought I'd share...

WK

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2283 on: Jun 01, 2015, 05:00 PM »
Great find. I've never seen a gut leader. Is it tied in sections?

A good friend of mine has gifted me with a bunch of different stuff including some 1950's and 60's  vintage Cortland Fly Line Cleaner tins. Cool stuff for the shelf.

I'm guessing anything red would do for the tail. The original looks to me to be marabou. I'm hoping to try one tomorrow morning.

Rg

Yes Rg,... it's tied in sections and I must say the knots look butter smooth. I'm not sure of the length, I don't really wanna take one off it's template and unravel it (I don't know how fragile they are) but they have loops tied in at both ends much like many furled leaders have.

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2284 on: Jun 01, 2015, 05:08 PM »
Cool stuff for the collection.

Love Flyanglersonline! What a great resource.

I've tied some similar in olive and tan. No neck hackle. A dubbed head instead.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2285 on: Jun 01, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Cool stuff for the collection.

Love Flyanglersonline! What a great resource.

I've tied some similar in olive and tan. No neck hackle. A dubbed head instead.

Rg

Yea... another little diddy that I thought was cool in with this stuff were two small boxes marked "Perfection Minnow Gang... Pequea Tribe, All American Labor... Minnow Gang No.1" which appear to be tied on gut as well. I say gut because it doesn't look like mono, it looks more like sinew. Whether it was just a regional marketing ploy or not, I don't know but the Pequea were connected to (from what I can find) the Susquehannock people of Pennsylvania. Its a simple rig tied on gut leader consisting of two treble hooks tied about 1" apart and one single hook an inch or so above those followed by a short length leading to a common barrel swivel. I know it's a heck of a lot older than I am!

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2286 on: Jun 01, 2015, 06:32 PM »
Kinda sounds like a Seneca Rig I used to make for fishing saw bellies. The single hook slid on the main line to adjust for the length of the baitfish.it was placed on the lower jaw of the bait, then the two small trebles were set at the dorsal fin and close to the tail.

Worked the nuts.

Rg

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #2287 on: Jun 01, 2015, 09:45 PM »
Nope....honest first try. Did it at about 4:30 or so this morning.

Here's what I did John.
Start the thread at the eye and lay down a base to the tail.
Tie in the tail. I used a bunch of red hen hackle fibers then trimmed them short like the sample.
Tie in the black chenille at the mid point and secure it back to the tail.
Bring the thread forward to the mid point.
Wrap the black chenille to the midpoint and tie it down with several good wraps.
Tie in a black hen saddle hackle about halfway back on the hackle and by the tip.
Trim the excess hackle and take three or four wraps with the hackle.
Tie down the hackle and trim the butt end away. Tie in a pair of legs on each side and end with your thread in front of the legs.
At this point I took a couple of half hitches to secure the thread.
Tie in the yellow chenille and carry the thread to the eye.
Take one wrap with the chenille between the rubber legs then wrap to the eye and tie it off.

I can do a gopro for it if needed.

Rg
Bob, thanks.....I think I can follow your directions pretty well at least I'll try. I need to get some more hackle material all I have some is some mixed  loose hackle but I'll tie a few and see how it goes...hopefully I'll put them to use later this week.
Thanks again,
John
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2288 on: Jun 02, 2015, 02:28 AM »
No problem John. Holler if you get stuck. Like I said, I can do a gopro video if you like. I should probably start making use of that thing anyway.

Better yet you can stop by the house and I'll show you first hand ;D

Rg

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #2289 on: Jun 02, 2015, 12:56 PM »
No problem John. Holler if you get stuck. Like I said, I can do a gopro video if you like. I should probably start making use of that thing anyway.

Better yet you can stop by the house and I'll show you first hand ;D

Rg
Sounds good....I wouldn't be opposed to seeing your video instruction on this but also maybe we can check out  one of your fishing holes around Macedon watch the master tying a double martini.
John  :bowdown: :bowdown: :whistling:
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2290 on: Jun 02, 2015, 01:07 PM »
the double martini is a nice  fly!  I tied about  6 and will give them a  try . nice ant pattern ,I bet  they would  make a great search pattern  for trout as well
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2291 on: Jun 02, 2015, 02:46 PM »
I was thinking it might just make a crappie fly.

The top two are on #10 TMC 100 and looked a little bulky to me with the ultra chenille. SoI tried a couple on  2x long #10 N-Curve and they look better to me. Tomorrow I'll find out if the fish think they look like anything.

;D

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2292 on: Jun 07, 2015, 02:54 PM »
I've had this hopper pattern on my head for a week or so. Finally decided to try a couple.

Parachute, indicator foam hopper.

I think it's got possibilities.

Rg

big_guy_13021

« Reply #2293 on: Jun 08, 2015, 01:07 PM »
...hes got something going on in there its his favorite pink jig hes learning how to tie jigs they seem to work for him :thumbup_smilie:

rp dog

« Reply #2294 on: Jun 08, 2015, 03:34 PM »
He's pretty lucky Big guy when I tie stuff I've got my glasses on and have to use a lighted magnifying lens. Looks like he's off to a good start . It's going to get expensive for a while but well worth every penny.

Rp

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.