FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628116 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2370 on: Jul 10, 2015, 05:42 PM »
bob  try tying a few  Montana stoneflys and  braid the  thorax ....fun  fly  ...this  one  looks  fun as well ;D  mmmmm I  have room in a  box
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2371 on: Jul 10, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Try some bead head nymphs with his technique Trapper. Crochet and darning threads work great.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2372 on: Jul 11, 2015, 04:29 AM »
Like these Trapper?

Or did you have something else in mind?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2373 on: Jul 11, 2015, 03:02 PM »
Re-tied those crappie flies I lost.

Seems to be the color combination they like in the stained water I'm fishing. I'll find out tomorrow.

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #2374 on: Jul 12, 2015, 07:12 AM »
Like these Trapper?

Or did you have something else in mind?

Rg

Nice, always do well on the Battenkill with those.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2375 on: Jul 12, 2015, 10:33 AM »
Rg...

Have you ever tried the "B***h Creek" weave? It's a very simple technique to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbMEG4g91wI

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

trapper2000

« Reply #2376 on: Jul 12, 2015, 10:37 AM »
RG   they look good    only  thing I  do  different  is  sometimes  I  add rubber legs ....or  and   go brown instead  of  black....nice  flies

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2377 on: Jul 12, 2015, 12:14 PM »
Rg...

Have you ever tried the "B***h Creek" weave? It's a very simple technique to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbMEG4g91wI

WK

Sure. In fact I was thinking of doing some bumble bees with that weave. Maybe later after I replenish my supply. Saw a guy in a kayak tossing flies and got to talking with him. Passed on some flies, a furled leader for him to try and some advice.

I lost 5 of the "Bumble Weave" flies to large, unknowns today. My guess is bass or small carp.  They hit it hard. The 3wt with 5x was no match. I should have switched to the 5 wt, but I was having too much fun.

Brown sounds good Trap. I was thinking of using Swiss straw for the wing case. I never got to trying them on the canal today. Maybe tomorrow.

Rg

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2378 on: Jul 13, 2015, 02:50 PM »
Rg...

The old fella who taught the fly tying classes that I took many moons ago taught us a simple weave technique that comes out as a "striped" effect much like a Barber pole. I still have some of the practice flies I tied back then with that weave, but for the life of me I don't remember how we did it. Several of them are black and yellow like a Bumblebee (I believe it's called a McGinty) and one in particular I tied using red and white chenille which makes it look like a peppermint candy stick with wings!!... Maybe I'll have to cut one apart at the head and unwind it to see if I can bring it back to memory.

Would you happen to know the technique I mention?

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2379 on: Jul 13, 2015, 03:37 PM »
Post a pic of the fly. I'm pretty sure I can figure it out. I know 3 weave styles, but, I'm sure there's more. I like the overhand knot weave for chenille. It really stays in place and adds a stripe down the side of the fly. Great bluegill stuff. The b***h creek fly is done with a polish nymph weave. I like that weave for ribbed plastic and wire nymphs.

The McGinty is a bumble bee pattern, but the body is  just a spiral wrap with black and yellow chenille. 

Here's some I tied up for tomorrow. Lost a few to some big fish yesterday :-\  I'll be ready for them tomorrow :flex:

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #2380 on: Jul 13, 2015, 03:46 PM »
I've played with the weave many times but never perfected it.  But guess what ?, my crappy attempts caught plenty of nice fish. Beauty is in the eye of the fish.

Nice ties RG.   

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2381 on: Jul 13, 2015, 04:07 PM »
They sure catch fishermen though ;D

Rg

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2382 on: Jul 13, 2015, 05:30 PM »
Post a pic of the fly. I'm pretty sure I can figure it out. I know 3 weave styles, but, I'm sure there's more.

The McGinty is a bumble bee pattern, but the body is  just a spiral wrap with black and yellow chenille.  

Rg

Well... my Dig camera shot craps and I haven't replaced it yet and my old flip phone that I still carry takes HORRIBLE pictures so I can't promise a picture. There was more to the pattern he taught us than just a spiral wrap of the two chenilles, there was some crossing of the material and when done properly, you can't tell where one stops and the other begins... they just look like complete rings around the hook. I looked on YouTube and couldn't find anything. I'm going to talk to a few friends who tie A LOT and see what they've got to say. One of them ties about 1500 dozen a year to supply several fly shops.

BTW... I had some yellow stoneflies crawling around on my truck's windshield this morning... must have been an early morning hatch  ;D

WK

trapper2000

« Reply #2383 on: Jul 13, 2015, 06:15 PM »
walking  along I noticed  mr grasshopper   ;D  ohhhh  now were talking

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2384 on: Jul 13, 2015, 06:40 PM »
walking  along I noticed  mr grasshopper   ;D  ohhhh  now were talking

Yes trapper...

I just finished mowing a small section of ground where the weeds and grass were kinda high off my main yard area and had several hoppers land on me while mowing.... I was probably thinking the same thing you were!

WK

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.