FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628097 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2415 on: Jul 24, 2015, 04:12 AM »
I steal Bic pens from anywhere I see one unattended :evil:

Those plastic tubes have a thousand uses. I use one when I'm finishing rods in the lathe. If I get a little bubble in the epoxy, I can remove it by blowing some air through the tube onto the wraps. Works like a charm.

Here's another one......everyone uses Q-Tips for something or other.  I use them on the bench for cleaning reels , guns etc. Buy the ones with the plastic shaft. After use, cut the ends off, cut the shaft in half and tie on some heavy thread in a 6-8 wrap nail knot leaving tag ends a couple of inches long.

Instant slip bobber stop.  ;D

Feed the mono through the plastic tube, slide the knot off onto the mono, pull the two tag ends as tight as needed and clip off the tag ends. A sliding, adjustable slip knot.

Been doing that ever since I bought the first package of those little Lindy slip knots for some ungodly price back 40 or so years ago. Great for crappie fishing.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2416 on: Jul 24, 2015, 04:18 AM »
Also, I forgot to mention that you can make any size bullet head tool you want with a leather hole punch and a plastic bottle cap. I have some of those around too.  ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rp dog

« Reply #2417 on: Jul 24, 2015, 07:33 AM »
I can't throw away Popsicle sticks there easy to split and can be used to mix epoxies, paint in small jars etc etc.
Rp

MattyP123

« Reply #2418 on: Jul 24, 2015, 08:28 AM »
Here's another one......everyone uses Q-Tips for something or other.  I use them on the bench for cleaning reels , guns etc. Buy the ones with the plastic shaft. After use, cut the ends off, cut the shaft in half and tie on some heavy thread in a 6-8 wrap nail knot leaving tag ends a couple of inches long.

GENIOUS!

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2419 on: Jul 24, 2015, 05:02 PM »
I steal Bic pens from anywhere I see one unattended :evil:

Those plastic tubes have a thousand uses.

Feed the mono through the plastic tube, slide the knot off onto the mono, pull the two tag ends as tight as needed and clip off the tag ends. A sliding, adjustable slip knot.

Been doing that ever since I bought the first package of those little Lindy slip knots for some ungodly price back 40 or so years ago. Great for crappie fishing.

Rg

I'm on the same page with that Rg... got a stack of spent ball point cartridges for whenever I need them!  ;D

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2420 on: Jul 24, 2015, 06:21 PM »
I can't throw away Popsicle sticks there easy to split and can be used to mix epoxies, paint in small jars etc etc.
Rp

One thing I learned from the gunsmith I apprenticed with was to mix most epoxies on a flat surface with a knife. Very few bubbles. I have a ceramic tile I use for that.  Cleans up with isopropyl alcohol.

I made a 12 rpm mixer for rod finish. Holds a glass tea candle cup at a 30 degree angle. I measure the epoxy into the cup, stick it on the mixer and place a large ball bearing in the mixture. 3 or 4 minutes and it's mixed with virtually no bubbles.

Pour it out on to a tin foil covered paper plate and it extends the pot life ten fold.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #2421 on: Jul 25, 2015, 01:58 AM »

Those plastic tubes have a thousand uses. I use one when I'm finishing rods in the lathe. If I get a little bubble in the epoxy, I can remove it by blowing some air through the tube onto the wraps. Works like a charm.
Rg

here is another one for the plastic q tip tubes when doing powder paint you can load them full of paint and paint dots with them...seen it done many.. many.. times. my favorite steely jig has a solid white head and pink dots and is tied with white and pink rabbit...

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2422 on: Jul 25, 2015, 12:28 PM »
I know you guys like seeing this guy this time of year..  Eating dinner yesterday at my moms and he decides to jump up and look in the window... ;D

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2423 on: Jul 25, 2015, 12:57 PM »
Handsome bird!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2424 on: Jul 25, 2015, 02:04 PM »
He looks more like a renewable resource to me :w00t:

What's his name Dom?

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2425 on: Jul 25, 2015, 02:48 PM »
Mom calls him "The Prince".... :laugh:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2426 on: Jul 25, 2015, 02:52 PM »
A fitting moniker ;D

Rg

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2427 on: Jul 26, 2015, 06:37 AM »
I  have  used a  ball point  pen  or  a coffee  straw  but   most the  time I half hitch  with  my  finger  and  I  can whip fish  with  my hands  too, I  do like  the  half hitch bobkin  tool it  has a lot  of uses .....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2428 on: Jul 26, 2015, 08:20 AM »
Wish I could whip finish with my hands, but they're so doggone big I have troubles with it. I can half hitch with my bobbin with a couple underhand loops. Other than that I use a Matarelli.

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #2429 on: Jul 26, 2015, 08:36 AM »
Mom calls him "The Prince".... :laugh:

Perfect because I recently tied up some "Prince" nymphs for the fall with the herl you gave me from that bird. 

I also am using some of the stuff you sent me to tie up some mouse patterns.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.