FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628193 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2610 on: Jan 16, 2016, 08:23 AM »
I'll look in the fly boxes.

One for sure pattern would be the "Hoppercator" . It's a hopper/indicator pattern where dropper is attached to a trailing loop. I stole it from a California trout guy and have used it around here for bass, gills and crappies to great success.

I also have some good looking crane fly patterns that should adapt well.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Centerpindrew

• "In the FACEEE!!"
« Reply #2611 on: Jan 16, 2016, 04:22 PM »
I am going to have to try that..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2612 on: Jan 16, 2016, 05:55 PM »
The key is to make it of all foam. I don't really think the wing flash is necessary. Brown/ tan is a great color combo too. The eye is a 1mm X 1mm strip .

You can rig it with the tippit run through both loops, front and back, and make it adjustable. But I prefer to position it on the tippit where it flies the best and add what's needed to get the dropper in the zone to the back loop.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #2613 on: Jan 17, 2016, 06:41 PM »
The key is to make it of all foam. I don't really think the wing flash is necessary. Brown/ tan is a great color combo too. The eye is a 1mm X 1mm strip .

You can rig it with the tippit run through both loops, front and back, and make it adjustable. But I prefer to position it on the tippit where it flies the best and add what's needed to get the dropper in the zone to the back loop.

Rg

I like it but may need some instruction on the tie as I'm not familiar with tying in the loop. You can always send me one and I'll dissect it  like a biology class student.  :laugh:

Here's a few I  tied from patterns I found on You Tube. Also tied the same patterns in green.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2614 on: Jan 18, 2016, 03:58 AM »
Looks great Bart. I've been wanting to get some foam out. I need to tie some up anyway. You could use the double loop for any of those good sized hoppers to turn them into an indicator.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2615 on: Jan 18, 2016, 06:31 AM »
Here you go Bart.
The stuff ( I didn't use any rubber legs on this one)
2 mm craft foam
Danville 210
Crystal flash
Heavy mono for loops.
Super glue is your best friend ;D
TMC 200R, #6

50 lb mono for the loops. You can see why I like a curved hook for this. The loops need to drop down. Wrap right  to the eye. You won't be using the hook eye.

Pick your favorite foam. This is about 2 mm craft foam from Wally World. I tie everything right on top of the hook. A little superglue on the thread helps and the sides fold right around the hook.seems to float more level that way.

Tie in some flash or whatever for an under wing. Fold everything over with the eye strip in the roll.

Trim the top wing close. Shape the bottom wing. Tie in an indicator  and legs. Let the legs splay out to the sides. Makes a nice little wake on the surface water.  Add a bit of flash to cover the thread.

Floats like a cork. Pretty good indicator and don't be surprised when something big swallows it up.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2616 on: Jan 18, 2016, 07:58 AM »
And.......don't forget your dragonflies  ;D

Fun with foam :w00t:

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #2617 on: Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 AM »
Thanks for the step-by-step. I was lucky with the 200Rs because I tie my favorite stonefly nymph pattern on a #6 so had plenty in stock. Made a few minor mistakes along the way (because I don't follow instructions) but here it is. The next few will get better. Going in my "WEST" box. 

Speaking of dragonflies, did you ever see this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjY0iNbbiEw

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2618 on: Jan 18, 2016, 02:09 PM »
Well, you got that one down. Do a few different sizes for smaller and larger droppers.

Love the video. That's why I tie dragonflies and damselflies. Bass think the same way. The might even interest a crappie ::)

Rg

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2619 on: Jan 19, 2016, 02:25 PM »
That was certainly an awesome video!  ;D

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2620 on: Jan 19, 2016, 04:35 PM »
Don't forget your nymphs boys and girls ;D

Rg

big_guy_13021

« Reply #2621 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:44 PM »
Nice nymphs rg...looks quiet over here :whistling:

big_guy_13021

« Reply #2622 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:47 PM »
I been playing around with ice flys I was snooping around on shanty found a nice thread on hooks with wire wraps its addicting but fun and they are easy to make...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2623 on: Jan 20, 2016, 02:04 PM »
I've made some of those. They do work and you're right, addicting ;D

Rg

big_guy_13021

« Reply #2624 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:04 PM »
I'm not buying anymore dots I made some on a 14 and 16 hook painted them I'm sure they will work really good..same size as a dot pretty much..I'll post some when I'm done painting them.. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.