FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628138 times)

Bluegillonafly

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2805 on: Mar 23, 2016, 06:21 PM »
Rg...What kind of hook/leadhead is that? Never seen that curved hook style.

choo choo

« Reply #2806 on: Mar 23, 2016, 06:43 PM »
Don't change now Trapper. You're to old to tempt more confusion. ;D I've tied on a few different vises from a Herter's and Thompson AA to my present Dyna King. My indexer is the best thing hats ever sat on my bench for tying. Before that my Danvise was the best thing that ever sat on my bench and before that....the vise I had was the best.

If I ever run across a Law vise, I'll mortgage the farm.

Thanks Choo Choo. I'm doing well for a senior citizen. Thing is, I'm not sure how I became a senior citizen over night. Seems like yesterday I was a young buck full of pee and vinegar.

Rg
I hear ya RG....tough getting old and not being able to do all the stuff we used to do. But fishing and the outdoor life helps keep us older guy's a little more active and in better shape than some of our relatives and friends who don't get out of their houses very often.

Keep on fishin" RG...it's good for your health!
I started out with a non-adjustable Thompson vise , then graduated up to an adjustable Thompson. About 25 years I bought a Regal vise and have grown to really like it....still using the Regal.... a real workhorse.

perchgypsy- I checked out that Nor Vise, looks pretty amazing.

nice looking jig flies / crossovers in those tins

BTW RG, I am going to try for a carp this year on the fly rod...when the time gets close I will ask you a few questions, if it's ok,  to speed up my learning curve.
I'm fishing my way through life .

KingPerch

« Reply #2807 on: Mar 23, 2016, 07:53 PM »
Crossover jigs.

Rg
Hmmm....I see perch and panfish going in that aluminum pan Bob!  ;D Nice job my friend!
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2808 on: Mar 24, 2016, 03:03 AM »
Choo Choo, happy you help you where I can. It's an addiction, so beware ;D  More like hunting the flats for permit that NY warm water fly fishing. Start  with tying some fluffy looking crayfish patterns in olive, rust and black. #10<#6. Bead eyes, hook up ( Clouser style). I'll post some of my other favorite patterns.

Bluegill,
The jig head style is designed by rpdog. He makes awesome ice and open water jigs. The hook style is just me not being able to leave  well enough alone. 

Nor vise......I've had a couple opportunities to use a nor vise. It's certainly well made and in the good old USA.  Maybe even over engineered. Norm makes it look easy for sure. I thought about buying one and chose the Dyna King Ultimate Indexer instead. Price was near the same. Around $600. Although you can drop another $300-$500 on accessories for the nor vise very easily.

What I liked:
Very smooth operating
Held hooks very well
Super fast production capabilities (if you're in to that)
Compact
Nice array of accessories.
Impressive fit and finish.

What I didn't like:
Seemed that getting the hook on a true center axis was tricky. It required a poor hook position in the jaws. That is, the hook was held way up the bend making it awkward to work around the tail of the fly.
Not handy for small flies
Cannot tilt head up
Near impossible to use without the auto bobbin setup
Requires many different accessories for different styles of tying adding significantly to the investment

The Dyna King required I addition. A set of fine jaws for tiny stuff. I tie pretty slowly by production standards. Not more than  a dozen of any one fly at a time. Speed is not particularly important to me. I'm in no hurry at the bench. All I can say is the Dyna King is a joy to have on the bench. It just feels and looks right. I use the rotary function all the time. If only to look at all sides of a fly while tying. I can turn the jaws straight up in the air to get a #22 in the fine jaws just behind the hook point leaving me all the room I can get to tie. It adjusts very easily to get any hook on a true center axis for rotary tying. There's even an attachment to align the hook, although I haven't needed it.

The only alterations I've made were to polish the jaw barrels. They felt a little sticky to me. Having worked as a gunsmith, it felt like a factory trigger. Now it feels custom. I also inlaid several heavy magnets to my vise board to hold the vise in place. I wasn't used to tying on a platform vise. Lastly, the brass thumb screw that fixes the vise shaft to the pedestal base just didn't seem to hold the vise in place well enough. I tend to exert some force when tying bigger flies. So I drilled an indent into the shaft and dropped a detent ball into the seat for the thumb screw. Works like a charm.

The alterations are 99% my own fussy nature, 1% necessity.

No fly tier needs  to spend that kind of cash on a vise. But then, need has little to do with it.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

IFF

« Reply #2809 on: Mar 24, 2016, 04:00 AM »
 :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: RG enjoyed reading this post this morning.  I too, worked gun Smithing so know where your coming from  ;D
*¿*  Bud

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2810 on: Mar 24, 2016, 04:33 AM »
Hard to settle when you know how to make things work better.

Now I'm starting on re-doing my powder paint setup :-\

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2811 on: Mar 24, 2016, 07:20 AM »
flashback pheasant tails  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

big_guy_13021

« Reply #2812 on: Mar 24, 2016, 08:34 AM »
I'm tying pheasant tail nymphs to when I'm not fishing..hairs ear to..they both work very well and larvea fly fun for gills and trout.my nymphs are no where's near perfect but they work and that's all that matters

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #2813 on: Mar 24, 2016, 08:51 AM »
I'm tying pheasant tail nymphs to when I'm not fishing..hairs ear to..they both work very well and larvea fly fun for gills and trout.my nymphs are no where's near perfect but they work and that's all that matters

Hares ear.... my fav. works ALL the time.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #2814 on: Mar 24, 2016, 09:43 AM »
I've even had luck swinging a hare's ear wet to landlocked salmon and trout.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2815 on: Mar 24, 2016, 12:42 PM »

when the rod bends froma fish you tied  them perfect

if you have some small hares ears   in the box you can pick the  dubding loose on the bottom and if they are on scuds  like 9 mile creek and otisco  the fish love them I even  tie a  few on  scud hooks  just so I can use them as a either or pattern .....I also like to tie a few in olive and black
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2816 on: Mar 24, 2016, 01:49 PM »
Changed my fluid bed setup for powder painting the crossover jigs.

Now I can dip multiple colors ;D

Rg

big_guy_13021

« Reply #2817 on: Mar 24, 2016, 02:14 PM »
Very nice rg

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #2818 on: Mar 24, 2016, 03:38 PM »
Very impressive, rg.  I take it you regulate the air flow with the 3 yellow knobs.

rp dog

« Reply #2819 on: Mar 24, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Rg I've heard there's a fine line between genius and crazy. O C D ? Just saying.........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.