FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628027 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2820 on: Mar 24, 2016, 06:30 PM »
Oh...the line was erased long ago in my life. Not sure I'd label it OCD. More like CTD.....Cronic Tinkerer's Disorder :-\

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2821 on: Mar 24, 2016, 06:43 PM »
Very impressive, rg.  I take it you regulate the air flow with the 3 yellow knobs.
Not that impressive really. Just a cheap cutting board from Wally World, an aquarium valve from the garden center and some PVC. Yeah, I can get all three bubbling at the same time. Makes short work of base, top and accent colors. Seems the quicker you get the paint on, the less it accumulates. Too heavy and it runs in the oven.

It's a learning curve. I might be approaching the downhill slide of the curve.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

perchgypsy

« Reply #2822 on: Mar 24, 2016, 08:20 PM »
I've noticed certain colors seem to "drip" more than others...thinner if you will
I know black seems to be fine but as you go to Florecent and glows they run more that I've noticed...white glow being worst
so far..

MattyP123

« Reply #2823 on: Mar 24, 2016, 09:15 PM »
A bit off topic here, but you guys who spin hair (trapper? Bob? ::)). What size hook do you like spinning your smaller trout mice on? Tried spinning up a mouse tonight and couldn't believe how easy the tying bit was, then its pretty much imagination from there.. Love it!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2824 on: Mar 24, 2016, 09:31 PM »
A bit off topic here, but you guys who spin hair (trapper? Bob? ::)). What size hook do you like spinning your smaller trout mice on? Tried spinning up a mouse tonight and couldn't believe how easy the tying bit was, then its pretty much imagination from there.. Love it!

I use a Mustad 9672 size  2/0  to 10
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2825 on: Mar 25, 2016, 03:54 AM »
Trapper' way better at that than I am. I can do it, but I need to do it more often.

Perchgypsy, I picked up a little toaster oven at Goodwill for $5 to cure my powder painted jigs. The first batch I put in at 350 ( by the dial)  as the manufacturers instructed. The paint and even some of the lead head melted into a glob on the bottom of the oven.

I put an oven thermometer in the oven and let it run at 350 and it cycled up to almost 475 at one point. Eventually I found that if I set it at around the 260 mark, it maintains a nice 300 or so. At 300. Nothing runs unless I over coat the jig head. Even at the lower temps, they come out hard as nails.

Colors definitely have different curing properties and apply differently. White and chartreuse seem very thin, orange seems perfect, black seems the most difficult  to apply. I have some other colors coming. We'll see how they are.

Rg

trapper2000

« Reply #2826 on: Mar 25, 2016, 04:45 AM »
matty if you have any problem spinning hair  just PM me buddy glad to help you advice only cost a cup of coffee  ;D

perchgypsy

« Reply #2827 on: Mar 25, 2016, 08:23 AM »
I use pro tec powder....I painted 80 jigs 3/32 oz
20 chartruese green,20 chart yellow,20 Flo pink and 20 white glow....
3 glow pretty much ruined after cure in my oven from dripping and that's with a fluid bed all the rest seem very even on paint...before this I dipped in the cup and would have more issues with lighter  colors..
very neat fluid bed RG...one I been messing with is green chart.and glow looks good for panfish size jigs
One tip I've learned .I use  hemostats and clip it to the eye of the jig while heating and painting haven't had paint in the eye since doi g this

trapper2000

« Reply #2828 on: Mar 25, 2016, 12:42 PM »
I been using powder paint for  years  so I guess i'm a little  bewildered  whats a  fluid bed and  exactly what does it  do????

big_guy_13021

« Reply #2829 on: Mar 25, 2016, 01:23 PM »
I'm with you trapper fluid bed for powder paint I'm lost..I'm being honest here all I do with my powder paint is heat the jig head up with a lighter dip it in pro tech powder paint and tie my jig..very seldom do I put them in the oven.sometimes I use a hair dryer paint hardens just fine..I'm all ears...eyes...

big_guy_13021

« Reply #2830 on: Mar 25, 2016, 01:33 PM »
Trapper you fishing nine mile Friday I'm gonna hit it up.I tie alot of hares ear on a Scud hook some in olive also  my favorite fly they catch everything..

perch-hound

« Reply #2831 on: Mar 25, 2016, 02:27 PM »
The fluid bed is simply a container(pvc cap and 2" of pipe) that has an air (aquarium pump) inlet into the bottom of the chamber,
the air keeps the powder nice and fluffy, easier to get an even dip.
RG's pic down the thread shows all the parts well.

perchgypsy

« Reply #2832 on: Mar 25, 2016, 03:09 PM »
Yup it just introducing air to the powder which makes the powder look like boiling water...fluff for a more even paint job
it's the filter that makes most of the difference....thin plastic works best

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2833 on: Mar 25, 2016, 03:17 PM »
With the right cups and membrane, the powder floats around in the cup and looks like it's a fluid not a powder. It results in a thinner, more consistent coat. I've tried it with and without and it definitely works better in the fluid bed. I've found it makes it much easier to add glitter and mix colors as well. All the material boils in the cup making it easy to keep mixed and apply.

Speaking of the membrane, I tried 20 or so different things off the shelf and nothing compares to the cups I bought from TJ tackle. At $5 a piece, they are well worth it.....and.....you all know how I like to build my own stuff.

At least that's my limited experience.my whole setup cost around $25 + the cost of paint ( of which I just orderd another 6 colors ::) )

Rg

trapper2000

« Reply #2834 on: Mar 25, 2016, 04:38 PM »
guess i'd have to see them  done, to be  honest I  don't  think I  ever have .I  just  shake  the  can up good before I  start  dip a few  and  shake  it again  then into the oven to cure...I  never experanced  any paint running  in the  oven curing perhaps RG  could  do a go pro  video   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.