FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 627762 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2940 on: Jun 10, 2016, 09:03 PM »
 got a bunch of foam yellow jackets for the gills in the morning :)

you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

IFF

« Reply #2941 on: Jun 11, 2016, 06:09 AM »
Kept one eye open and spotted a free Toaster oven.  Get over my plumbing problems, and just need some PVC for the powder paints  ;D  Ganders Store Closing Sale is going to burn a hole in some of my over time money got my eye on a jig mold too ;D :blink: :whistling:
*¿*  Bud

St.Croix.Boy

• Just one more cast...
« Reply #2942 on: Jun 13, 2016, 11:26 AM »

at st.croix.boy that is one good looking jig for I am guessing steel head maybe carp "mulberry's"??   I don't think I would change the body if I had the extra time I would add dots to the head with some rod finish and auto air color pigment paint that's not thinned for air brush use. or even  nail polish "I mean male polish sorry"  like a blue or even a lavender type color that matches the body.. all you need to do the dots is a match stick or tooth pick real simple... looks good no matter if you don't like the white head or not it still looks real dang good!!! 

boondox, thanks a million for the encouragement and advice. This style of jig is VERY effective, but I like playing with color patterns as much as possible. I've got a buddy who has an air brush and uses it a lot. It's probably my next addition once cash flow opens up a bit. I think I'm going to try a dark blue on my next batch. If you can, could you PM me where I can get the air color paint not for air brush use? I did a quick google search and only came up with the stuff that's thinned for air brush.

Tight lines,

SCB
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

St.Croix.Boy

• Just one more cast...
« Reply #2943 on: Jun 13, 2016, 11:31 AM »
I'm betting finger lakes smallies would like that jig drug around as well. Lookin' good St Croix

Thanks! I twitched a couple patterns down at the Susquehanna River in NY about 2 weeks ago and caught all catfish!! Ha! No complaints. I hooked 6 and landed 3, all on the centerpin. The cats absolutely LOVED them. The one's I've been tying have been 1/16 oz, but I want to go bigger and work them without the float in heavier flows...particularly when the river is up over 4K cfs. Any suggestions, advice? I'm all ears bro.

Thx,

SCB

perchgypsy

« Reply #2944 on: Jun 13, 2016, 07:32 PM »
St croix boy,you are looking for paint but not airbrush,have you tried powder,no smell ,alot of colors available and I think a nice finish as well
powder is the way to go for jig heads ,curing them in a toaster oven @275 for 20 minutes

boondox

« Reply #2945 on: Jun 13, 2016, 08:28 PM »
boondox, thanks a million for the encouragement and advice. This style of jig is VERY effective, but I like playing with color patterns as much as possible. I've got a buddy who has an air brush and uses it a lot. It's probably my next addition once cash flow opens up a bit. I think I'm going to try a dark blue on my next batch. If you can, could you PM me where I can get the air color paint not for air brush use? I did a quick google search and only came up with the stuff that's thinned for air brush.

Tight lines,

SCB

I thin k nail polish would work best but if you need it tcpglobal.com has "auto air colors"  any thing over 4 ounce is not thinned is why I say this it is for air brushes  heck you could even use nail polish in the air brush if need be just get lacquer thinner to thin nail polish  and some acetone to clean the air brush when all is done...any ways let me know if you need any thing else you could try bear air or even Chicago air brush those are dot com sites that carry the auto air colors brand of paint if it say 2 to 4 ounce thinned for air brushes I think they thin the create they sell at jannsnetcraft.com cause every time I mix with epoxy its to thin and runny just a heads up... could get "blue" powder paint they make a ton of color for powder paint and it is way easier to use then most think... if looking for powder paint try tjstackle.com any how let me know and other know if you need any thing else...   

St.Croix.Boy

• Just one more cast...
« Reply #2946 on: Jun 13, 2016, 08:59 PM »
St croix boy,you are looking for paint but not airbrush,have you tried powder,no smell ,alot of colors available and I think a nice finish as well
powder is the way to go for jig heads ,curing them in a toaster oven @275 for 20 minutes

Yep I use lots of pro-tec powder...have about 15 on hand now...was curious about this non airbrush stuff

boondox

« Reply #2947 on: Jun 14, 2016, 12:23 AM »
Yep I use lots of pro-tec powder...have about 15 on hand now...was curious about this non airbrush stuff

Ya its air brush paint but I mix it with lite formula rod finish and add dots to my jigs it is strong like powder paint when mixed with epoxy so when you do a lot of bridge shooting or flipping under docks the paint don't chip off...same with well baked powder paint it won't chip either  but try putting dots on with powder paint it's not easy...hope this clarifies what's said about the paint...

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2948 on: Jul 26, 2016, 05:11 PM »
Do any of you use "Craft fur" for any of your ties? My Mrs. was going to a local craft store recentley so I asked her to check on that for me. She said they had a small selection of colors of craft fur in strips... (of course she didn't have any detailed info on width, length, price, etc.) but, she also told me they had genuine rabbit skins (hides) in both natural and white for around $10 a skin. Is that too much or reasonable?

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

boondox

« Reply #2949 on: Jul 26, 2016, 05:17 PM »
I don't know about the rabbit  pelts price... but if you buy them in white you can use rite dye found in the laundry soap isle some stores  and will take the dye the rabbit pelts will.. any how I do use craft fur in my minnows and other streamers patterns...  if you fish in Florida if you can get pink or tan that work well as a shrimp patterns like the borskis bone fish slider and crazy Charlie's etc...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2950 on: Jul 27, 2016, 05:16 AM »
I use craft fur in a number of different minnow patterns.,I suggest you buy some from Janns or Feathercraft rather than a craft store. There's a world of difference between the two products. Pelts are pelts. If they're good looking, have at it. I get my bulk furs and feathered skins off eBay. Although, friends have supplied me with muskrat skins.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2951 on: Jul 28, 2016, 04:32 PM »
I am a  trapper  so I have a  good  supply of  furs   for  those of  you that  don't I suggest  you   !  befriend a  trapper! 2 look  for  fresh road kill .....that  sounds  nasty  but if it's  fresh why let it  just rott  a  few  minutes  with a  case knife and  you have   a years  worth of  fur! 3.  find  someone  buying furs  close  to you  ,he'll have  some  poor  quality  goods  as  far as  selling  but  would  make  excellent  fly tying  material .....you'll find  it  surprising how  many  people will  give  you  materials if  you  share   flies! .... fly tying  and  fly  fishing  isn't  just the  fun in seeing a  trout rise  for  a  18 olive  ....it's  the  whole  experiance   of  fishing tying  finding materials  and all the people we  meet on the  journey .......  it's  not  a  hobby rather a  life  style  of  sharing learning and lots of  laughing  ....have  fun 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2952 on: Jul 28, 2016, 05:21 PM »
Materials are everywhere.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

IFF

« Reply #2953 on: Jul 28, 2016, 05:45 PM »
Materials are everywhere.

Rg

You been peaking  at my desk ??  ;D
*¿*  Bud

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2954 on: Jul 28, 2016, 05:52 PM »
Ha! The exploding bench eh ;D

Mine gets that way when I'm in the throws of creation. Thank heavens for My wall hung shop vac.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.