FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628108 times)

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2985 on: Aug 15, 2016, 09:37 PM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with that! I'm still waiting on that Cabela's CGR 7' 4/5wt glass rod I ordered in June. They said it would be on backorder til August... gonna do some pond fishin' with that when it finally gets here.

WK

Still waiting on the rod...they contacted me by email a week ago and wanted to know if I want to keep the backorder active, of course I said yes. I recentely purchased what I think will be the perfect reel for that rod... a Langely "Riffle" in excellent condition for under $30.  ;D

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2986 on: Aug 16, 2016, 06:34 PM »
Hell......I could have built you one faster that this.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2987 on: Aug 18, 2016, 11:27 AM »
Hell......I could have built you one faster that this.

Rg

I'm sure you could have Rg...

Actually it arrived Wednesday afternoon and what a sweet looking little rod it is. It's as light as a feather and built with PacBay components. It also came with an attractive Cordura rod tube to boot! The regular price on these rods is $129.95 and when I ordered it in June they were on sale for $69.95. Nothing personal Rg, but I don't think you could have built me anything comparable for that price, even if you did you wouldn't make a nickel on it for yourself. My only regret now is that I didn't buy a second, different weight rod while they were on sale.  :(

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2988 on: Aug 18, 2016, 06:58 PM »
As long as you're happy with it, what's the difference.

Go catch some fish!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2989 on: Sep 10, 2016, 07:12 AM »
I found this fellow in a hanging basket of flowers he's been hanging in that basket for a couple weeks  I think he is my inspiration for a new fly  ;D

you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2990 on: Sep 10, 2016, 03:34 PM »
This guy has been keeping fed in my front flower boxes. Found him on my screen one day last week.

BIG FLY trapper ;D

Rg

trapper2000

« Reply #2991 on: Sep 10, 2016, 09:50 PM »
I already have materials running threw my head  and I enjoy watching this guy , oh big fly ,but I'm sure mr bass would like him

oatkasut

« Reply #2992 on: Sep 10, 2016, 10:59 PM »
A guy gave me a bow of flies that belonged to his  father and said I should try them. Curious I checked them out and discovered a bumble bee pattern, a fly I never saw before. Well, it's caught 3 9-12 inch browns the last two times out . Also catching minnows on it as well.Go figure; you never know what might work. can't wait to see your creation and a report on how it works! ;D ;D ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2993 on: Sep 11, 2016, 04:59 AM »
This time of year especially, I keep a few bumble bee patterns in the box. Bass love them too. Foam bees are easy to tie. Use a paper punch and punch out craft foam circles in yellow and black. Then glue them up into body sized sections.

The hardest part is not gluing your fingers to your thumbs ;D

Rg

trapper2000

« Reply #2994 on: Sep 11, 2016, 05:44 AM »
lot of yellew jackets out this time of year which means I have to carry my 600 dollar epi pen with me but it also is a great  terrestrial patteren ....trout bass and  bluegills  love them ...easy patteren  try a  yellow foam  spider ,grab the secret black sharpie marker and add a few strips ...I do some realistic yellow jacket flies  but it takes so long to do its not worth it for the box

trapper2000

« Reply #2995 on: Sep 11, 2016, 11:19 AM »
after 50 years of tying flies I finally got a whip finishing tool and learned to use it! I have always been able to whip finish with my fingers but after age and abuse my fingers  don't always like to respond lol ,the whip finisher is good just going to take a little getting use too

KingPerch

« Reply #2996 on: Sep 11, 2016, 12:56 PM »
after 50 years of tying flies I finally got a whip finishing tool and learned to use it! I have always been able to whip finish with my fingers but after age and abuse my fingers  don't always like to respond lol ,the whip finisher is good just going to take a little getting use too
when an ol buzzard figures that tool out....you can teach a Jr. Buzzard! Lol!
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

trapper2000

« Reply #2997 on: Sep 11, 2016, 01:13 PM »
kp it's very easy really  I'm just use to whip finishing with my hands .....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2998 on: Sep 11, 2016, 01:40 PM »
You kids and you're new fangled inventions.  ;D

I've tried using my fingers to whip finish. I think the fly would need to be slightly larger than a football for me to be successful. My 2xl hands just don't cooperate.

The Matarelli style is the easiest in my opinion. I have a couple sizes but use the medium one for almost everything no matter the size. Heck, if I can figure it out, I'm sure you two can.

Rg

trapper2000

« Reply #2999 on: Sep 11, 2016, 01:43 PM »
well when your fingers stop working you'll find new ways , I even use a empty big pen to load my glo bugs now lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.