FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628099 times)

geo315

• My favorite place.
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3120 on: Mar 10, 2017, 09:58 AM »
pictures? would be interested in that.
icejohn
Yea, I give it a try.

The throat and the wings is what makes it  3D.   Kinda wet flyish but I work it either way.  It works like a charm.  It is my goto fly. Geo.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3121 on: Mar 10, 2017, 04:34 PM »
I've been busy filling the crossover jig box.

I still need to tie some in my favorite patterns and make a few more.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

oatkasut

« Reply #3122 on: Mar 10, 2017, 05:45 PM »
That March Brown nymph is a beauty! That  has got to be a catcher!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3123 on: Mar 10, 2017, 05:53 PM »
Oh.......you trouts guys....... ;D ;D ;D

Nice tie.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3124 on: Mar 10, 2017, 06:09 PM »
That March Brown nymph is a beauty! That  has got to be a catcher!
Yes it is.  Its one of the three flies that I use.  

1. March br. nymph
2. bk nose dace streamer.
3. elk hair caddis dry.

and that it.  Oh yea, once in a while a yellow matuka streamer.    I carry the
full magilla of flies but rarely if ever use any others.  I Trout fish only  for rainbow, brown and brookies.
Bass and Pike is another story.   We are talking zonkers and poppers.  To soon to tie them yet. Geo.

oatkasut

« Reply #3125 on: Mar 10, 2017, 07:20 PM »
WOW! you've been looking in my vest. I have used those exact same flies now for quite awhile after I discovered that there is more to fly fishing then an Adams.I also like an October or orange caddis size 12  for late summer, early fall stream fishing. It's a killer for big trout. 

boondox

« Reply #3126 on: Mar 10, 2017, 09:59 PM »
Basic flies I aways carry..

1)Alexandria style steamer. In size 4
2) hears ear nymph size 14 and 12these mimic short fat nymphs I carry cream, black, and natural hares mask to mimic lots of may flies stone flies etc..
3) pheasant tail nymph in 12 and 14 these mimic  long skinny nymphs like stone flies and etc in different colors like olive ,black,  and brown
4)Elk hair caddis size 14 and 16 I also tie a cdc version that mimics a early spring hatch that's real prolific around here.. all it is is dun gray cdc and a dun gray hackle on adams gray dry fly dubing cdc instead of elk hair tied same as elk hair caddis fished down and across  that mimic's  the chirmrra caddis from the order of tricoptera  usally 16 and 18's they start around 4/15-and end around 8/30 they like rocky gravelly run were trout lerk I find it best about 4 /15.
5) caddis larva in size 20 and 16.chartreuse green thread and silver wire with a few turn of peacock hear do a lot to mimic caddis larva..
6)Dries adams  size 14 and 16

If I carry extras I carry wooly bugger and streamers like black nosed dace, etc standard stuff

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3127 on: Mar 11, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Oh yea,  this thread is back in business.  Fly talk, there is no substitute. Geo.

oatkasut

« Reply #3128 on: Mar 11, 2017, 01:09 PM »
I find the tricos around  late July20-Oct 15. When they first start it is early in the AM, 6AM and later and later as the months go on so that by Sept they come off even as late as noon. I use 18, 20  and 22 sizes . I start with the female duns and end with the spinner fall later in the morning. It really is a ball to fish such small flies but you'll get the drift if you do it a few times. IT can be frustrating however, when your surrounded by rising fish everywhere but none hit the artificial! :'( :'( :'(

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3129 on: Mar 11, 2017, 03:09 PM »
Has any of you guys seen any of  Kelly Galloup videos on the you tube?
I found his thread there and I have got to say that some of his stuff is quite good. Geo.

MattyP123

« Reply #3130 on: Mar 11, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Has any of you guys seen any of  Kelly Galloup videos on the you tube?
I found his thread there and I have got to say that some of his stuff is quite good. Geo.
Been using dubbing loops a lot more because of his videos. He sure seems to like his nymphs extra "picky".

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3131 on: Mar 11, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Been using dubbing loops a lot more because of his videos. He sure seems to like his nymphs extra "picky".
Picked up a couple of tip from the videos.  Like that gsp 50 thread.  Gots to get some of that.
 Also remembered some stuff  that I forgot over the years.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #3132 on: Mar 11, 2017, 08:05 PM »
Yea, I give it a try.

The throat and the wings is what makes it  3D.   Kinda wet flyish but I work it either way.  It works like a charm.  It is my goto fly. Geo.
nice tie....don't know if i can do that nice of a job.
icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3133 on: Mar 12, 2017, 02:39 PM »
nice tie....don't know if i can do that nice of a job.
icejohn
Thanks ice.    I have been tying that on for about 52 or so years. It is really an ez tie.  I tie it in 12's, 14's and 16's.  In about four or so shades from hares ear to yellow thorax. They all have their place. Geo.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #3134 on: Mar 12, 2017, 05:26 PM »
Thanks ice.    I have been tying that on for about 52 or so years. It is really an ez tie.  I tie it in 12's, 14's and 16's.  In about four or so shades from hares ear to yellow thorax. They all have their place. Geo.
most of my fly fishing is for panfish but last year and probably this year will be fishing for trout in pa both north central and south central part of state. so wouldn't mind if possible the recipes.
icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.