FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628044 times)

geo315

• My favorite place.
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3135 on: Mar 12, 2017, 07:17 PM »
most of my fly fishing is for panfish but last year and probably this year will be fishing for trout in pa both north central and south central part of state. so wouldn't mind if possible the recipes.
icejohn

Here you go.

]March Brown
 Start with a # 12 Nymph hook.  Tie in four barbed wood duck feathers as a tail.  Add gold tinsle as ribbing.  Dub in the body using Hares mask. Use Turkey feather barbes as the wing sac.  The thorax is dubbed in black flasabou. The wings are Wood Duck barbed under wing fibers.   Lead can be used as weight

or
Start with a #12 Nymph hook.  Black 6/0 tread. Tie in three Turkey wing fibers as a tail.  Add gold tinsle for ribbing. Body is dubbed Beaver fur in tan, black or yellow.  Thorax is same.  Wing case is Turkey wing fibers. Spent wings are Wood Duck under wing barred side feathers, tied in from in front of the wing sac.  Lead can be added to weight it

Bk nose dace
>Start with a # 6 streamer hook.  Tie a red tail using 6/0 red tread. Tie in silver tinsle for the body and wrap it forward.  Died calf tail is used for the "flash"  Tie in the white then the black last the brown.  Black tread is used #6/0.  paint on yellow eyes.  Lead can be used to weight the streamer

I have done the M.B.  both ways.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #3136 on: Mar 12, 2017, 07:29 PM »
Here you go.

]March Brown
 Start with a # 12 Nymph hook.  Tie in four barbed wood duck feathers as a tail.  Add gold tinsle as ribbing.  Dub in the body using Hares mask. Use Turkey feather barbes as the wing sac.  The thorax is dubbed in black flasabou. The wings are Wood Duck barbed under wing fibers.   Lead can be used as weight

or
Start with a #12 Nymph hook.  Black 6/0 tread. Tie in three Turkey wing fibers as a tail.  Add gold tinsle for ribbing. Body is dubbed Beaver fur in tan, black or yellow.  Thorax is same.  Wing case is Turkey wing fibers. Spent wings are Wood Duck under wing barred side feathers, tied in from in front of the wing sac.  Lead can be added to weight it

Bk nose dace
>Start with a # 6 streamer hook.  Tie a red tail using 6/0 red tread. Tie in silver tinsle for the body and wrap it forward.  Died calf tail is used for the "flash"  Tie in the white then the black last the brown.  Black tread is used #6/0.  paint on yellow eyes.  Lead can be used to weight the streamer

I have done the M.B.  both ways.
sounds good...will have to find some of the material most of my material is more simple for panfish....then will attempt to tie them...will let you know how the turn out.
icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3137 on: Mar 12, 2017, 08:51 PM »
very nice work geo :thumbup_smilie:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3138 on: Mar 13, 2017, 12:58 PM »
sounds good...will have to find some of the material most of my material is more simple for panfish....then will attempt to tie them...will let you know how the turn out.
icejohn
So simple. Use what you have.  I have known to use dog hair , if it was the right color.   Believe me its ez to find stuff.  I found stuff to tie with in a craft isle of Walmart.   The idea is to just do it.    The presentation is where its at. lol. G.

PS   thanks Trapper.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3139 on: Mar 13, 2017, 01:58 PM »
craft stores hobby shops foam used in shipping ,local lakesand ponds  goose feathers  farm fields where you see turkeys  ROAD KILL .....I even have  striped old wire  for copper rib  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3140 on: Mar 13, 2017, 03:28 PM »
craft stores hobby shops foam used in shipping ,local lakesand ponds  goose feathers  farm fields where you see turkeys  ROAD KILL .....I even have  striped old wire  for copper rib  ;D
Heres a couple I made from
1. a flip flop -  the popper
2. a green bug - craft foam.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #3141 on: Mar 13, 2017, 05:35 PM »
oh yea i've used all kinds material for flies, bugs, poppers and jigs as well...if it doesn't have to be that exact, i probaly have some of the stuff on hand....i ordered the hooks yesterday. thanks for the ideas and pictures.
icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

O

« Reply #3142 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:25 PM »
Hey fly tiers, let me ask a question......I have a lot of material from twenty or so years ago, thread, hackles, hooks, pretty much everything I need to tie again.  Besides the head cement, will these materials still be OK to use?  Im sure most of it is, but I wonder about all the chicken feathers I have? 

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3143 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:39 PM »
Hey fly tiers, let me ask a question......I have a lot of material from twenty or so years ago, thread, hackles, hooks, pretty much everything I need to tie again.  Besides the head cement, will these materials still be OK to use?  Im sure most of it is, but I wonder about all the chicken feathers I have?  
If you kept the moths out they should be good.  I, pack mine with moth flakes in a plastic boxes. Dont worry about the head cement, raid the Mrs. clear nail polish,  Some of my necks are as old as my kids  (45).  The best way to see if they hold up is to get busy and Tie, Tie Tie. lol. Geo.

SPN

« Reply #3144 on: Mar 13, 2017, 08:34 PM »
yeah most stuff stays well if you can keep the bugs out....I use moth balls in my bins.....not in the actual packages and find it works well.
Kids Who  Grow up Fishing Hunting and Trapping won't rob little old ladies!!

SPN

« Reply #3145 on: Mar 13, 2017, 08:35 PM »
Just booked a trip the Key West in May.......going to get going on tying the local patterns there.....I have clousers and the like but the guide has some favorites he is going to send me! 

I cannot wait!!!
Kids Who  Grow up Fishing Hunting and Trapping won't rob little old ladies!!

catfisher

• Born to fish
« Reply #3146 on: Mar 15, 2017, 05:16 PM »
  FREE -  I have 22 grey squirrel tails and 1 pheasant skin, few other feathers. Mepps does not pay enough to cover shipping. If anyone wants them the shipping is around  $8.00. Contact me if interested.

perch-hound

« Reply #3147 on: Mar 17, 2017, 08:30 AM »
Ok, I was going to try and post some pics of a crayfish pattern I have started tying, photobucket really is misbehaving,
anybody have any other sites to use for attaching pics?

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3148 on: Mar 17, 2017, 08:51 AM »
Try imgur.   Much ez'er.

Be sure you d/l the instructions .  I keep a copy handy because I dont post pics that often.  So,, I need to refresh myself. Geo.

devo

« Reply #3149 on: Mar 17, 2017, 09:28 AM »
The cat was laying next to me while tying some jigs a few years ago so I said "why not"?... I snipped off a few black and white pieces of fur and they worked/looked real good.
Try anything you have laying around, so to speak.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.