FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628152 times)

DANMAN

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3405 on: Apr 08, 2018, 06:28 PM »
Geo. That's the Ollie's where I got mine. Auto department.  :laugh:

Big Al  how about a photo of the mop fly you tie      I may just have to get out the old Thompson Model B vise from the closet 
Newark valley isnt far from Ollies JC

:-)

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3406 on: Apr 08, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Got some time on the bench, tried my hand at dry flies for the first time, just a sz14 hook, grizzly hackle tail, stripped peacock quill body and grizzly cape hackle. I also tied some more sz16 wood duck scuds. Thanks for looking.

boondox

« Reply #3407 on: Apr 08, 2018, 09:52 PM »
@Swamp rat quick question do You got a hackle gauge any ware?? If not get one..  then use a size 16 hackle on a size 14 hook.. you will thank me in long run for telling you this..  cause the thread build up etc on any  body and ribbing used to tie the fly leaves a build up were the hackle goes some times.. a smaller size hackle ties a better dry in a traditional catskill style dries...  now a parachute style  dry you use a size bigger hackle.. .  Just to ballance the fly better ..  you can tell ballance by tossing fly in air and letting it land on a table the hook bend makes it keel wing up right if tied right.. just a tip..  by the way good start swamp rat.. the tail look correct length wings are gape to a gape and a half .. for proportions.. for catskill style dries same with parachute style.. any how hope these details help you..

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3408 on: Apr 08, 2018, 11:10 PM »
Great ties..you did a good job..my flies are far from perfect ...my saying goes I tie flies to catch fish not fishermen ..the buggier looking the better they seem to work for me..I'm tying a few flies called lightening bugs I'll post when I get a few more colors done..

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3409 on: Apr 09, 2018, 01:11 AM »

....these are my lightening bugs I was told they really don't represent a bug but the flash from the mylar should trigger a hit..and I believe that's true I will find out this weekend.im thinking the panfish will eat them to but trying for trout first

boondox

« Reply #3410 on: Apr 09, 2018, 01:12 AM »
Sorry I hope know one took the advise the wrong way not trying to be a jerk.. the advise me and rg gave early seemed to help get you to the benc to tie??  it not about being perfect it about catching fish and pleasing your self.. if that's all that matters then that's all that should matter.. 

boondox

« Reply #3411 on: Apr 09, 2018, 01:14 AM »
....these are my lightening bugs I was told they really don't represent a bug but the flash from the mylar should trigger a hit..and I believe that's true I will find out this weekend.im thinking the panfish will eat them to but trying for trout first

I tie stone flies in red and blue so I am sure fish will gobble those up.. for sure nice ties by the way..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3412 on: Apr 09, 2018, 03:32 AM »
I like those Bigguy! Colors are good. Most fish see in color. I favor red tails in my panfish flies. For some reason red is a trigger.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3413 on: Apr 09, 2018, 04:08 AM »

Everyone ties Wooly Buggers. If you don't, you certainly should. I bumped into this video from Tightlines, one of my very favorite sources for new techniques. Watch how he ties his Buggers. Just plain opposite of how I've always tied them.

wooly bugger

Very creative!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

gotagetm

« Reply #3414 on: Apr 09, 2018, 06:50 AM »
that was interesting , ive tied many of those but never seen it done like that !

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3415 on: Apr 09, 2018, 07:07 AM »
That's to funny I seen that video last night I'm gonna have to try one that way ..I'll be all messed up lol..looks like it mite hold really good that way..

Gump

« Reply #3416 on: Apr 09, 2018, 11:41 AM »
Nice flies everyone.  Seems like Spring is at the tying benches (certainly not outside yet, good grief!)   

All my buggers are hackleless.  I got some 'MS BUGGER' dubbing from Fly Tying Dungeon and will never look back.  It is a dubbing with fine rubber 'legs' in it to give it that pulsing leggy action the hackle typically would.

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

bigal409

« Reply #3417 on: Apr 09, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Big Al  how about a photo of the mop fly you tie      I may just have to get out the old Thompson Model B vise from the closet 
Newark valley isnt far from Ollies JC

:-)
I don't know how to post pictures so if you pm me we can go from there. There's also an Ollie's in Ithaca too.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3418 on: Apr 09, 2018, 01:30 PM »

....here ya go DanMan mop jigs

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3419 on: Apr 09, 2018, 02:05 PM »
Nice ties everyone, wow....Nice mix! I tied a half dozen sz14 hackleless peacock caddis today....Thanks for looking 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.