FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 627758 times)

Swamp Rat

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3420 on: Apr 09, 2018, 02:22 PM »
Nice flies everyone.  Seems like Spring is at the tying benches (certainly not outside yet, good grief!)   

All my buggers are hackleless.  I got some 'MS BUGGER' dubbing from Fly Tying Dungeon and will never look back.  It is a dubbing with fine rubber 'legs' in it to give it that pulsing leggy action the hackle typically would.

Nice ties Gump.....What size hook are you using for them? Also, that Ms Bugger dubbing is crazy....do you just twist it on the thread like regular dubbing or dubbing loop?

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3421 on: Apr 09, 2018, 02:33 PM »
@Swamp rat quick question do You got a hackle gauge any ware?? If not get one..  then use a size 16 hackle on a size 14 hook.. you will thank me in long run for telling you this..  cause the thread build up etc on any  body and ribbing used to tie the fly leaves a build up were the hackle goes some times.. a smaller size hackle ties a better dry in a traditional catskill style dries...  now a parachute style  dry you use a size bigger hackle.. .  Just to ballance the fly better ..  you can tell ballance by tossing fly in air and letting it land on a table the hook bend makes it keel wing up right if tied right.. just a tip..  by the way good start swamp rat.. the tail look correct length wings are gape to a gape and a half .. for proportions.. for catskill style dries same with parachute style.. any how hope these details help you..

Thanks for the tips boondox, always appreciate it. Yeah definitely need a hackle gauge before I tie anymore dry flies. I just wanted to tie those 3 to get a feel for wrapping and tying off hackle as well as hand stripping(with a pencil eraser) and wrapping my peacock herl. I noticed I need better quality, already stripped peacock herl too, the ones I have are okay to wrap as is but after taking the fuzz off the stems I don't see that nice two colored section you're supposed to have when you tie a classic dry.

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3422 on: Apr 09, 2018, 02:40 PM »
....these are my lightening bugs I was told they really don't represent a bug but the flash from the mylar should trigger a hit..and I believe that's true I will find out this weekend.im thinking the panfish will eat them to but trying for trout first

Nice ties big_guy, good luck with them, let us know how they work out.

boondox

« Reply #3423 on: Apr 09, 2018, 07:26 PM »
Nice ties everyone, wow....Nice mix! I tied a half dozen sz14 hackleless peacock caddis today....Thanks for looking 8)

Very nice tie just rember the thinner the amount of deer hair or elk hair you use also know as "sparce" the better they come out for sure is a good tie and a good one to have in box..

Bartman44

« Reply #3424 on: Apr 09, 2018, 07:33 PM »
Kudos all around.  Warm weather is right around the corner.

Tied up some of these for the Delaware.

boondox

« Reply #3425 on: Apr 09, 2018, 07:34 PM »
Very nice Bart man!

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3426 on: Apr 09, 2018, 09:02 PM »
Kudos all around.  Warm weather is right around the corner.

Tied up some of these for the Delaware.
Well done Bartman, good luck with them 8)

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3427 on: Apr 09, 2018, 11:12 PM »
Nice ties yep everyone's at the vice until this weekend .if the weatherman it rite it's gonna be Hi 50s I hope I tied up a few more flies 5 of each I'll post later on never tied them before but I think I did ok

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3428 on: Apr 10, 2018, 06:57 AM »

..🤔🤔 I think I can catch a fish with these

MattyP123

« Reply #3429 on: Apr 10, 2018, 07:21 AM »

..🤔🤔 I think I can catch a fish with these
I think your right. Nice ties fellas

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3430 on: Apr 10, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Power went out for a couple hours so I killed time fillin' the mop bucket.  Colored some jigs and tied a couple dozen.  Thanks again Big Guy!  Holding out for spring one of these days.

Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3431 on: Apr 10, 2018, 01:59 PM »
No problem they yours to win and you did ..real fast to lol I wanna see fish pics ...

Gump

« Reply #3432 on: Apr 10, 2018, 06:37 PM »
Nice ties Gump.....What size hook are you using for them? Also, that Ms Bugger dubbing is crazy....do you just twist it on the thread like regular dubbing or dubbing loop?

I either just twist on the thread or even simpler yet, tie in several individual pinches one at a time.  Then I tease out the rubber legs and coarse fibers with my pick.

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

Gump

« Reply #3433 on: Apr 10, 2018, 06:42 PM »
I catch some of the biggest inland browns of the season this time of year in the off color water swinging and stripping big streamer patterns.  Coming out of a cold winter and after a late Fall spawn, the big guys want a big meal.  I tied these guys up such occasions.  Also use them for drop back steelhead that are starting to eat aggressively too.

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3434 on: Apr 10, 2018, 11:05 PM »
Very well tied I like those..I'm enjoying all the different patterns nice to see everyone sharing..I'm gonna tie a different one up to at least I think it's a little different one ..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.