FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628184 times)

westernmas

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3435 on: Apr 11, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Well the MA board doesn’t seem to have many fly fisherman. I’ve been following this thread for a bit and love how this thread can spurn new ideas. Figured I’d contribute with a few patterns I’ve tied recently.

Experimenting w different color variations on buggers and using peacock herl instead of chenille for the body.

This one isn’t exactly a bugger but similar. Used squirrel  zonker instead marabou.

Small midge pattern w a peacock herl collar. Be a nice dropper.

Pretty new to tying so haven’t tied to many dries but got some loon uv resin and tied up a stimulator w a tinsel body cover w a thin coat of uv and added a cdc underwing below the elk hair. Should be tying more this week. Thanks to all for the tips and ideas.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3436 on: Apr 11, 2018, 03:22 PM »
Welcome over nice ties the more you tie the better you get..I've seen a quite a few different patterns this yr...

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3437 on: Apr 11, 2018, 03:37 PM »
Well the MA board doesn’t seem to have many fly fisherman. I’ve been following this thread for a bit and love how this thread can spurn new ideas. Figured I’d contribute with a few patterns I’ve tied recently.
Welcome over westernmas, the more the merrier ;) Nice ties!

lowaccord66

« Reply #3438 on: Apr 11, 2018, 03:54 PM »
Those look like fish catchers to me Pat.  Nice work.

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3439 on: Apr 11, 2018, 03:56 PM »
Mrs. Swamprat is a huge knitter......She has accumulated a large amount of leftover yarn from the many things she's made over the years. I've been itching to dig through it to see if there was anything I could use. I found some nice off white to light gray variegated that I thought might work.  The result is below, a nice sz.16 fly larvae with 8-10 wraps of .020 lead free wire under the yarn, I like 'em.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3440 on: Apr 11, 2018, 05:33 PM »
Nice .they look like a spike did u ever think of putting a gold rib on a few of them

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3441 on: Apr 11, 2018, 05:39 PM »
I started this thread back in 2011. It's been a lot of fun, but this year seems especially interesting to me. Really great to see so many new fly tiers experimenting with new patterns.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #3442 on: Apr 11, 2018, 06:27 PM »

Experimenting w different color variations on buggers and using peacock herl instead of chenille for the body.

This one isn’t exactly a bugger but similar. Used squirrel  zonker instead marabou.

Small midge pattern w a peacock herl collar. Be a nice dropper.

Pretty new to tying so haven’t tied to many dries but got some loon uv resin and tied up a stimulator w a tinsel body cover w a thin coat of uv and added a cdc underwing below the elk hair. Should be tying more this week. Thanks to all for the tips and ideas.

Welcome. Some good fishing in western Mass. My son lives in the Pittsfield area so I'm over  there often casting some flies with him.  Nice ties, I like the last one especially.     

Bartman44

« Reply #3443 on: Apr 11, 2018, 06:33 PM »
I started this thread back in 2011. It's been a lot of fun, but this year seems especially interesting to me. Really great to see so many new fly tiers experimenting with new patterns.

Rg

Good stuff indeed.  Fly tying is creative and has no limits. It's great to be able to share so thanks for starting.

I was at a family members house the other day and they have a blue merle collie.  Great fur, thinking about bringing scissors next time over.  ;D

Bartman44

« Reply #3444 on: Apr 11, 2018, 06:34 PM »
Mrs. Swamprat is a huge knitter......She has accumulated a large amount of leftover yarn from the many things she's made over the years. I've been itching to dig through it to see if there was anything I could use. I found some nice off white to light gray variegated that I thought might work.  The result is below, a nice sz.16 fly larvae with 8-10 wraps of .020 lead free wire under the yarn, I like 'em.

Very nice SR.

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3445 on: Apr 11, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Nice .they look like a spike did u ever think of putting a gold rib on a few of them

Thanks big_guy Lmao When I took the first one out of the vise I said "wow that looks just like a spike" be great to try on the ice next season, hope the trout like them this season. I did think of putting a gold rib but the yarn makes a nice segment by itself I didn't do it.

@Bartman44 Thanks!

lowaccord66

« Reply #3446 on: Apr 11, 2018, 07:15 PM »
Those are nice Swamp Rat.  They slam larva flies like that in the west branch of the farmington out my way.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3447 on: Apr 11, 2018, 07:40 PM »
RG it is great to see  so many rekindling the  fly tying bug or to see new folks getting into it ......
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3448 on: Apr 11, 2018, 08:19 PM »
This thread is pretty active this yr.im enjoying it..maybe it will keep up through the winter months a little bit also but I dought that silly me...I wanna see a mulberry fly maybe rg would be kind and post a few...CARP ON

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3449 on: Apr 12, 2018, 02:24 AM »
Did somebody say Mulberry Fly?

I tie these in #4, #2 and 1/0

Hook: 1/0 2x strong red beak hook ( mustard I think)
Thread: I use 210 Kevlar. You could substitute Chartreuse Danville 210
Body:Blue or purple thin craft foam (Walmart sells huge packages without the self adhesives)
Tail: Chartreuse rubber leg
Super Glue........lots of super glue!
Red, purple and blue Sharpies

Tie in the tail and 3-4 pieces of the heaviest lead wire you have on the top of the hook and wrap a smooth body to the eye. Whip finish and leave the thread attached.
I weight it this way because You want a good bit of weight opposite the hook point so the fly lands on bottom point up. Coat the wraps with a liberal amount of super glue.

Cut a tapered piece of craft foam around 4" long. The widest end will be the length of the hook shank the narrowest about half that width.

***SPECIAL NOTE***
Keep some acetone nail polish remover handy. You'll probably need it to  un-stick your fingers after you glue them together ;D

Glue the strip to the body and let it get firmly attached before proceeding.

Gradually wrap the strip using super glue to bond it in place.

Once wrapped, use scissors to create a rough shape. The little bumps and divots are ok. They help form the berry.

Take open overlapping wraps from eye to tail to form the berry. Kind of looks like a hand grenade. Whip finish at the eye.

Use the sharpies to color it up. Give it a light coat of head cement or hard as nails. .....or not!

I test mine in a dish of water to adjust the rate of sink. I'll use a bodkin to make a hole Lenghtwise on the top of the hookand insert lead wire with a dab of superglue as needed to get them to sink slowly and some more quickly. They're all a little different, but so are Mulberries.

As much as anything, the "Kerr-plunk" sound they make when they hit the water entices a strike.

Now, go find yourself a Mulberry drop and hang on!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.