FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 627966 times)

bigal409

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3570 on: May 09, 2018, 06:37 AM »
And you leave those tail feathers alone Big Guy   :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3571 on: May 09, 2018, 07:04 AM »
Dom will probably send you some if you ask :whistling: :whistling:

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3572 on: May 09, 2018, 04:44 PM »
Yes Dom sent me some feathers not long ago :whistling: :whistling:

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3573 on: May 09, 2018, 05:38 PM »
You guys are silly and theres a lot to go around. But what parts are you interested in?  The eyes mostly?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3574 on: May 09, 2018, 05:44 PM »
The eyes are ok, but most flies requiring peacock herl use the long strands lower on the feather......of which you've already sent me a lifetime supply.

And...I thank you Sir....and your Mom and.......her bird ( can't remember it's name)

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Dug1898

« Reply #3575 on: May 09, 2018, 06:01 PM »
Here's how I use peacock herl...on The Dog Fly, patterned after my Alaskan Malamute O'nee   

There's never been a better time to Stand Up for your First and Second Ammendment Rights than right now. 
Please join the NRA. They're my political voice.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3576 on: May 09, 2018, 06:32 PM »
Cool I learned something new today..
Learned those herls have some cool tyedie colors...... ;D

Oh yeah and learned what you guys  used them  for.... 8)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3577 on: May 09, 2018, 08:18 PM »
I use the hurles for collars on my flies and jigs..something about the color in them catches the fishes eye .I even made nymph boddies out of the hurles..amazing color. :whistling: :whistling:

MattyP123

« Reply #3578 on: May 10, 2018, 07:52 AM »
Nice one dug

Dug1898

« Reply #3579 on: May 10, 2018, 08:59 AM »
Thanks Matt, anyone tie the Royal Coachman? Post a picture if you do.
Peacock herl and red floss body, really kool dry fly...
I always wanted to tie them, tried years ago and never mastered it. I'm not good with little flies.
There's never been a better time to Stand Up for your First and Second Ammendment Rights than right now. 
Please join the NRA. They're my political voice.

MattyP123

« Reply #3580 on: May 10, 2018, 02:40 PM »
Any Pike fly tiers out there?

seamonkey84

« Reply #3581 on: May 10, 2018, 04:53 PM »
Any Pike fly tiers out there?

Here’s a post I made a month back, I’ll have to take an updated pic as I’ve added some bunny leaches and more colors of the “well-fed” fly

Here are some stuff I’ve been tying lately, I just started targeting pike with a fly last year. In memory of the legendary Lefty Kreh, here is my first batch of Lefty deceivers, along with some sea-ducers 

Here’s a pattern I found called the Well-fed (baitfish) tied on a wide gap offset worm hook to give it a broader profile.

My diy pike box.

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3582 on: May 10, 2018, 05:16 PM »
My rule of thumb for tying pike flies is simple. Add a bunch of stuff, then double it ......then triple it. When it looks like you've tied a dead chicken and two rabbit skins and an entire buck tail on a couple of hooks......you've got almost anough stuff on there. I used to fly fish them in Canada quite a while ago.

Rg

MattyP123

« Reply #3583 on: May 10, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Thanks seamonkey and well done! I figured I'd get a pike line for my 8 weight and give it hell. Bob, Thats Freaking hilarious!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3584 on: May 10, 2018, 05:58 PM »
The guy I learned from owned a bait shop locally. He was a pretty good fisherman. I'd bring in flies I tied for his advice. For pike flies he always told me ......"BIGGER" .

I built my 10' 9/10 wt for pike. Turned out it was equally matched for carp. You have to try some carp on the fly Matt. They're just too much fun.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.