FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628195 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #4245 on: May 03, 2023, 06:12 AM »
i actually  got to see fran bitters  tie  the  fly! I  also love the ausable wulff ....... classic patterens  ....fran also  did a  fly of the  month just  before  his  passing ...... really  well worth looking at  his patterens
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Bartman44

« Reply #4246 on: May 03, 2023, 09:30 AM »
RG, you are on a mission for sure, nice work.

Fran Betters also tied the "Usual" made from snowshoe rabbit which has floating qualities.

Haven't been up to the Ausable in some time but used to fish it regularly when I was younger. Enjoyed stopping in his shop. Fished the Saranac as well.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4247 on: May 03, 2023, 09:45 AM »
Yeah…a little time on my hands with this crappy weather. I just keep looking for different patterns to tie. It was supposed to clear for a while today but this system is just anchored right on top of us.

Can’t even mow the golf course it’s so wet. We’d do more damage than good. But there’s some light at the end of the tunnel.

Think I’m gonna do some more stimulators in different colors. The bigger gills inhaled those last time I got to fish.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #4248 on: May 03, 2023, 09:52 AM »
This weather has been good for ducks and grass seed.

I have a 4-day Catskill trip planned with my son for late next week and the West Branch is flowing about 5,000cfs this morning. I like to fish it when it's below 800cfs.   :P

STOP RAINING already.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4249 on: May 03, 2023, 12:37 PM »
It’s finally stopped for a bit here. Gonna need a combine to mow my lawn.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ECobb91

« Reply #4250 on: May 03, 2023, 05:50 PM »
I remember going Frans shop when I was a kid and having him sign my hat. This was probably back in the early 2000s when his shop was across from the Wilderness inn. We’d rent a cabin every year and I’d walk across the street to the shop to just sit and watch him make flies. He gave me a few for free that I still have today.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4251 on: May 04, 2023, 01:19 PM »
Hope they’re framed. They’re a treasure.

I was playing with this idea while I was waiting for the rain to stop this morning.

I think it’s got potential. It’s shaggy, ugly and should float like a cork. I’m betting fish will like it.

I like the proportions on the yellow one better than the orange, but, I doubt the fish will care much.

Bartman44

« Reply #4252 on: May 04, 2023, 05:50 PM »
Cool stuff RG, could represent a stone or caddis, maybe even a hopper.

I started tying a bit in preparation for our trip next week. Trying some different color combos for the old Hendrickson hatch.  When everyone else is throwing the old vanilla pattern, I'm going to try some orange sherbet.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4253 on: May 05, 2023, 06:20 AM »
This weather has been good for ducks and grass seed.

I have a 4-day Catskill trip planned with my son for late next week and the West Branch is flowing about 5,000cfs this morning. I like to fish it when it's below 800cfs.   :P

STOP RAINING already.

All the flows here are unfavorable.  Its been tough.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4254 on: May 05, 2023, 02:14 PM »
Very nice ties Bart.
Personally I like orange Sherbet way better than vanilla. No self respecting trout could possibly disagree.

Had a chance to test out the new fly pattern this afternoon. They  don’t float as well as I had hoped. Had to drop them very gently to get them to float…even with Payette paste. But the gills loved them.

I was thinking maybe  an Antron tail material. Maybe a foam indicator on top. Don’t really want to add any hackle if I don’t have to.

I love tying old patterns, but coming up with something new is really fun.

Bartman44

« Reply #4255 on: May 05, 2023, 03:59 PM »
Necessity is the mother of invention. You'll figure it out. Maybe some tiny rubber legs as a stabilizer.

I'm always fishing the evening hatch into the darkness. The fish are still there but I can't see my fly. Was thinking about getting some glow in the dark yarn and using it as post on a parachute fly. Not sure if it will glow enough but worth a try.

Tied some simple crappie jigs for the upcoming spring bite.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4256 on: May 05, 2023, 04:19 PM »
You guys are all artists.  Love following this but have no clue about it.. 8)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4257 on: May 05, 2023, 04:39 PM »
Necessity is the mother of invention. You'll figure it out. Maybe some tiny rubber legs as a stabilizer.

I'm always fishing the evening hatch into the darkness. The fish are still there but I can't see my fly. Was thinking about getting some glow in the dark yarn and using it as post on a parachute fly. Not sure if it will glow enough but worth a try.

They’ll work. I like a bit of fluff on my crappie jigs.

Not artists Dom…addicts.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4258 on: May 05, 2023, 08:55 PM »

I have some scientific anglers glow in the dark 5w line.  Was going to use it then was turned on to these mouse patterns with a glow tab on the head, helps tremendously because you can see the mouse on the cast. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4259 on: May 06, 2023, 12:59 PM »
Tried to test a few flies this morning. Baro pressure went from 29.83 to 30.32 with bluebird skies.

The fish were dozing in deep water I guess. Gave up and went to buy a new car instead. At least I was successful there…..much to my surprise.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.