FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: dog fish  (Read 6586 times)

broken rod

• CPR
Re: dog fish
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2004, 03:55 PM »
cider this fish were talking about is not a mud puppy ive caught alot of those and thats another slimey creature that i would pay see some one eat  ;D
heres a link to the fish im talking about http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/conn.river/bowfin.html
tight lines, chuck

Cider

« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2004, 04:23 PM »
cider this fish were talking about is not a mud puppy

I am well aware of what a bowfin is.  We studied them in first year ichthyology.  Someone, a few posts back in this thread, mentioned that people often confuse them with a mudpuppy.  Presumably because one's moniker is dogfish and the other's is waterdog!  I was simply adding to his clarification.

Some people confuse them with mudpuppies, which are 5 inch long salamanders.

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2004, 04:39 PM »
cider my mistake ;D
tight lines, chuck

Cider

« Reply #18 on: Mar 30, 2004, 05:03 PM »
Actually, a bowfin is a very cool fish.  They are a primative species of fish that dates back to the triassic (230 million years ago; well before the first birds or mammals).

Bowfin are the only living representative of their order and are found ONLY in freshwater.  They are closely related to garfishes and teleosteans.  Bowfins are members of the ray-finned fishes which is the largest group of living fishes.

Bowfins are one of the few species of fish that aestivate, or spend their summers (when water temperature is high and dissolved oxygen is very low) in torpor (suspended animation - decreased body temp and greatly reduced metabolism).  This is a type of hibernation.  Most fish that aestivate do so buried in the mud or make mucous cocoons.  For this reason, they must be able to maintain homeostasis by breathing air.  During periods of regular or sustained activity they respire through their gills and absorb oxygen through the skin just like most modern fishes.

The functions of the gas bladder in fishes include hydrostatic balancing/neutral buoyancy, sound production, sound reception, and respiration.  Bowfins have a specialized gas bladder that provide the latter function.  If you ever catch one and keep it, look at the gas bladder.  You will see that it is compartmentalized (divided by septa) and highly vascular to allow for exchange of air and the passage of oxygen into the blood stream.

chrisfrank

« Reply #19 on: Mar 30, 2004, 10:13 PM »
At pearl harbor, the submarine they have set up for tours is a WWII sub, the USS Bowfin.

Dihardfisher

• Wisc. Goats
« Reply #20 on: Mar 31, 2004, 12:05 AM »
This past past summer my dad caught a dogfish for the 1st time.  We we bass fishing so we thought it was a large mouth bass, and man did it ever fight.  When we got it in the boat we both looked at each other and were like -what the heck is this thing?  The weird part was the long fin on the top of the fish was lime green colored.  It measured out to be 22 inches long.   The darn thing was making a weird hissing sound.  The fish was cought in Southeastern Wisconsin.  If I remember correctly it was a warm summer day in July. 
Fishing, Beer, and Women.  What else could a Goatboy ask for?

FishDaddy09

« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:21 AM »
I don't know about dogfish that hibernate in the summer. Here in the midwest we catch them year round.   Sometimes when you get them in the bottom of the boat they make a barking sound, dog-fish.

Cider

« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2004, 10:05 AM »
You will catch them year round.  I didn't say that they hibernate.  I said they aestivate.  It is similar to hibernation but more like suspended animation.  They are more sluggish, but they still feed!

This hissing was the fish breathing air as well as the "barking".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.