FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Banjo Minnows  (Read 2865 times)

Mackdaddy21

Banjo Minnows
« on: Mar 29, 2004, 07:48 PM »
I have some banjo minnows. I don't use them much anymore because I have found that other soft jerkbaits perform better.
I caught a good amount of bass, walleye, trout, crappie, and pike on them. They triggered strikes and are lifelike lures. My gripe with them was the casting distance was bad, they were too buoyant, and the hookup percentage was very low. The flukes and sluggos have better hookup percentage and are every bit as weedless when rigged tex-posed.
So anyone else tried or have used them? I know they do work well at times, but the weaknesses they have are just too great.

Tyler

icefishnh

Re: Banjo Minnows
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2004, 08:33 PM »
i like the 3in sluggo's on 1/0 hooks...many bass, pickeral and even crappie on em!
I like big fish and I cannot lie!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2004, 10:47 AM »
I have never used them, but I like the concept of how they are hooked and have tried that with sluggos and Zoom Super Flukesand it works pretty well.  It adds a bit more action than if you rig them Texas or Texposed style.  However, using circle hooks and nose hooking flukes and sluggos works almost as well...

Invicta

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2004, 07:57 PM »
I used to use banjos all the time with amazing success. Fish will often hit a banjo several times and still be willing to bite if not hooked. I used the smallest size for trout and bass. Truly one of the best all time lures. Only problem with them is if the body is bent even a little bit it won't have the right action in the water and won't work. Also you hook a lot of fish near their eye or deep in their throat and this one of the reasons i don't use them anymore (the other reason is that husky jerks work better).

borntofish

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2004, 08:02 AM »
I bit on their sales pitch when this lure first came out.  I use them mostly for bass with so-so results.  It seems to have a good concept but I had other lures that were more reliable on fish.  Other lures that have come out are better producers than the banjo.  For bass my most consistant lure is The Worm with about 3 or 4 other lures a close second.

bud

• never put off what you can catch today to tomorrow
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2004, 07:14 PM »
better off with a senko!  by far!
the fishin pug is my favorite fishing partner!
favorite place the conneticut river from walpole to the thetford area.

Invicta

« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2004, 07:23 PM »
when i first started using banjo's they worked so good that almost everytime i went fishing people would see how many fish i was catching and offer to buy banjo minnows from me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.