FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Giving back...  (Read 4587 times)

Cider

Giving back...
« on: Apr 02, 2004, 02:17 PM »
There have been a number of really good posts throughout this site about catch & release, setting personal daily/seasonal limits, fishing ethics, stewardship, etc.

I am wondering how many of you "give back"?  Do you volunteer to help out with state run programs such as stocking and education?  Do you get politically active in your state or province on behalf of the outdoor sports?  What organizations and clubs do you belong to?  How active are you in those clubs?  Do you hold an office or are you a board member?  Anyone involved with charitable organizations for the needy or homeless (ie - donating to soup kitchens or hides for humanity).

It takes just a few individuals to give the sport of fishing and hunting a bad name.  It seems to me that when negative things happen everyone hears of it and our name as a whole gets tarnished.  But, you never really hear about all the good that comes out of our sport.  That usually gets swept under the carpet on the nightly news.  Only active sportsmen hear about these things through our fishing and hunting publications and social circles.  I thought maybe if people were to post briefly on the things they are actively involved with to help sustain our sport maybe some of the "antis" and non-sportsmen out there would realize that fishing and hunting isn't as horrible as they think.

I belong to two different county (Grafton and Sullivan) rod and gun clubs in NH, the NRA, and Gun Owners of NH.  I don't currently hold an office in any of these organizations, but I am not opposed to the idea.  I have been a member of Ducks Unlimited and Trout Unlimited on and off throughout the years as well.  I am currently considering joining the Ruffed Grouse Society.

I am also looking into becoming certified sometime this spring or summer to become an educator for the state's general hunter education and bowhunter education courses.  We also have a volunteer fishing instructor program where you can teach kids how to fish.

I haven't helped with any restocking programs yet, but our state usually recruits volunteers to help with restocking of fish fry (mainly trout and salmon) into remote areas.  This is something that I will be adding to my list of things to do.

Let's hear about some of the things that you do.  Maybe it will give us ideas of what we can add to our own lists and it might also help to motivate those that aren't quite certain about getting involved.

icefishnh

Re: Giving back...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2004, 02:36 PM »
i am a member at pointer fish and game...help setup/takedown the archery shoots..while hunting/fishing and there is some garbage on the ground, ill pick it up and throw it in my pocket...dang slubs that leave stuff all on the banks or even worse, in the water!!  however, when im fishing, ill find lures and hooks right on the ground, still in perfect condition! 
I like big fish and I cannot lie!

Browntrout08

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2004, 03:21 PM »
I used to be a member of trout unlimited a few years ago.  Thats about it for me.

raleigh

« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2004, 03:44 PM »
The Colorado DOW has a program that takes kids 13 and under out to local lakes after the have stocked it, and teaches them how to fish. I helped out a few times last summer. It was great to teach the kids how to fish and it was the first time for some of them catching trout. It is great to go and help  share the things I haved learned. The Colorado DOW gives the kids a pole and reel, jar of power bait,fishing line,clear bubble and a few flys. The kids always catch lot's of fish.

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2004, 03:44 PM »
I'm a member of the NRA and Ducks Unlimited.  I was a member of the Southtowns Walleye Assoc. (WNY) back when they first started.  My father and uncle were on the board of directors and I used to sell the club merchandise at the monthly meetings and work at the booths at the local outdoor show and county fair but I haven't been a member for years now.  I've also been a member of various other hunting and fishing groups on and off.

I like slipbob's idea of picking up a bag of garbage everytime I go out, I never really thought of that before but I think I'm going to start now.
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

Jigwiggler

« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2004, 05:19 PM »
   My father has held a kids fishing derby for as long as I can remember.  I always help him with this.  We used to rope off a section of stream and stock it with several hundred trout.  He has a friend at a local fish hatchery that gives us a good price ( he always throws in some extra too).  In the last few years the local American legion has gotten invlovled and built 2 small ponds just for this reason.  It's great to see all the kids out catching fish and having a blast.  We always throw in a few big cats also to add to the excitment  ;D .  Every kid gets a prize.  Fishing poles, lures and other things, it's a really good time.  I would like to see more programs in place to get kids involved in fishing.  They are the future of this sport.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2004, 05:38 PM »
i live in western ny, nearby lake ontario is a host of oppertunities! every year in a town called point breeze, i help out with the pen rearing project, and i also help with the major clean up projects that they hold!
i also carry garbage bags with me when i go fishing, used to keep them incase needed for fish... but they are always used now to pick up trash. yesterday, i was at a place here thats called cranberry pond. people leave everything from food containers to soda bottles, styrofoam worm containers, line... you name it! and the sad thing is that the county has some trash cans out there! guess its too much for them to walk to it! so yesterday, i spent a good amount of my time walking the shore and cleaning it up. and people wonder why they have stopped allowing you to park there! eventually you wont be able to fish anywhere if we all dont take a little time to clean up our messes(or others!)
also, my buddy belongs to a church and once a month during the warm season we take out as many kids that want to go. some of them have never fished and some of them have, but they all love it!
this is a great topic, there are so many ways out there to "GIVE BACK"... alot of people think its gonna cost them to give something back. the only thing its gonna cost you is your right to fish anywhere if not taken care of and appreciated proplerly! take the time to see what you can do in your area, there are many organization that are always looking for extra hands... or just do your own part by carrying that garbage bag and using it when you get to your spot. 15 minute of time lost fishing, could just ensure a lifetime of it!

fulltmedad

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Massachusetts Goatboys
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2004, 08:32 PM »
I am a fishing merit badge counselor for the Boy Scouts, as well as run the fishing program at one of the summer camps. I also teach primitive firestarting...flint and steel, fire by friction (rubbing sticks together), orienteering (compass), tracking and maps. My club, the Downriver Walleye Federation also has kids fishing tournaments which are free for the kids, river clean up days and is part of the MUCC (Michigan United Conservation Club).
FTD

DIRTBALL2

« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2004, 05:50 AM »
Odd that you should bring this up just as I was battling with my conscience. At my advanced age, I'm 66, I have been feeling that I am long overdue giving something back for a lifetime of enjoying the outdoors. Both fishing and hunting. It is entirely up to us as sportsmen, that we take necessary steps and actions so that future generations will be able to enjoy the same things we have had the privilege to enjoy. I have for a long time, carried an empty trash bag with me. Got into that habit about age 20 when I started going up to the BWCA here in Minnesota. Years ago, before they instituted the ban on bottles and can's, it was easy to fill the bag on every trip. Now there is a lot less trash but I can still hardly believe people that don't give it a moments concern about what they are doing to a beautiful, unspoiled wilderness area. To me it's a sacrilege, like leaving a bunch of trash in your church. One other thing I intend to do, first thing next Monday morning, is to volunteer for our local Mentor program. For a long time I have wished my legs were long enough so I could kick myself in the a** and get started in this program.  If memory serves me right you simply volunteer to be a buddy for kids from single parent families. You just hang out with them, maybe take them to a movie or out for some pizza, that sort of thing. And what an excellent chance to introduce them to the joys of fishing! If there is anything I like to do almost as much as going fishing, it is to talk about it. Sooooooooo, I have gone on long enough! May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead, and may the next fish you catch be HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2004, 06:37 AM »
I am a member of the Rockville MD chapter of the Isaac Walton League.  I had planned to volunteer in several areas from conservation to youth archery, but I'm moving so I'll look for similar opportunities in Mississippi.  I am a club swimming coach, and I coach kids from 6-18.  I try to introduce them to the outdoors whenever I can.  Our future in the outdoors depends on the younger generations getting involved.  I truly appreciate the opportunities I had when I was young.  My brother Kevin (Fat Boy) took me fishing when I was a kid and that introduced me to our wonderful outdoor world.  Thank you Kevin! 

bigdave1018

« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2004, 07:21 AM »
i use to fish the cut at henderson harbor. it was an incredible fishery  for all fish but mostly bass. it was a 90 min drive 1 way for me just to get there. the last time i went there there was a gate and a guard there locked up real tight. i asked the guard why and he told me the reason.new people bought the spot and were totally appalled by what was found . in the channel alone divers filled a dump truck with just trash and 3-- 55 gals of bottles and cans not to mention numerous trash bags full from the shore. another great shoreline place lost to slobs.

bigdave1018

« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2004, 07:28 AM »
the i-81 bridge on oneida lk and jamesville dam were always two spots to go can deposit and picking up trash after the 4th of july holiday. both places were always good for at least 10$ or more in cans and bottle returnables and at least 3 or 4 bags of trash. makes you wonder how these people leave their own property?

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2004, 09:44 AM »
Cider, this is a terrific topic.  Thanks for putting it out there.  It's stuff like this that will bring our site to the top in a real hurry.  I've been chomping at the bit to post on it since I saw it there but I've been much to busy to put the time in this post.  This is one where I'll get timed out for sure  ;D

Slipbob, like Cider, I think that I will get my buddies together and pick up trash at the end of every trip too.  I'll supply the trash bags.  A couple of bucks well spent that the grocery store will come in handy for this.  I'll keep them in my fishing tackle.

I volunteer on a regular basis for the MNCCPS Black Hills Regional Park for various outdoor and environmental programs, many of them are fishing programs.  My friend Glenn Cummings a park naturalist there who is committed to promote fishing for kids as well as other nature topics.  I am proud to work with him in this area and volunteer as much as my work schedule will permit.  In fact, we have a trout fishing clinic/derby for kids this coming Wednesday.  It's a real thrill to give something back to the community.  Some of these kids that will show up will be catching their first fish ever and the look on their faces is simply amazing.  I love it.  We also have various fishing clinics and events throughout the year for both children and adults.

I also belong to the Rockville, MD Chapter of the Izaak Walton League, a national conservation organization that promotes hunting, fishing, and many conservation programs.  We volunteer for many of their efforts.  One of my favorites is on National Hunting and Fishing day in September when the IWL holds an open house to the public.  We open up all of our shooting ranges and our pond (always well stocked with trout) to the public, have various conservation, hunting and fishing booths and activities, an outdoors raffle, and a turkey shoot competition open to the public at the end of the day.  The year before last I worked on the kids fishing derby at the pond that day, then after the derby opened a smallmouth bass fishing booth at the chapter house displaying everything that I could pass on about smallie fishing in our area.  Last year, I was co-chair of the event.  It was hectic getting everything to go well, but worth it.  Personally, I get more satisfaction out of hands on helping out (helping kids fish and running the booth) than coordinating the entire event.  All in all, it's a great organization that has lots to offer me but at the same time gives me much opportunity to "give back".  Oh, and I will be teaching both hunter education and bowhunter education courses through the IWL for the first time here.  Otter is a new member here, just joining a couple months ago, so he hasn't had much time to get in on helping others as I have.  He has helped the chapter out, such as spending 1/2 a day digging a trench right beside me to install electrical to one of our shooting ranges (that was a rough day), which frees up time for others to help out in giving back indirectly.  I think he will remain a member, but being a long distance away he will have to represent and help us a number of ways from afar, but he will, I'm sure of that.

I've been a member of Trout Unlimited in the past as well.  I haven't joined that in a few years, although it's a worthwhile organization, simply because most of my time and energy goes to the other organizations above.

Again, great post Cider, I love reading this stuff.  I'm sure that this may inspire others to do the same.  Although I've picked up others trash, cans, and line before, it was only what I could carry in my fishing vest or pockets.  I really like the trash bag idea, compact until you fill it, and will adopt that policy in the future.  See, this thread inspired me, how could it not inspire others!!!

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2004, 10:58 AM »
im really glad to see that the garbage bag idea is catching on for some here!... i started doing this a few years back at a place here in WNY called burt dam, one of the worst places i have every seen for tossed garbage and line and etc. etc.... i have a lay down tackle box, when you open the bottom part there is a spot where you put 6 of those clear plastic trays for like your rapalas or whatever... well, i put the garbage bags under these trays. its conveient because it doesnt take up any space, you never know they are there!
any little bit of trash pick up that is done by us, whether it is our own trash or someone elses... will only benefit us in the long run. i have noticed over the years that certain places have lost access to parking, or closed completely, this happens mainly from nearby property owners seeing the influx of trash and mistreatment of their property. they get together with the community and then the town board or what have you and the next thing you know... no fishing for us!
if we all take 10 or 15 minutes out of our time to fill a bag and toss it in our trunk till we get home, we would be doing all of ourselves a great benefit in the long run, and our kids future for fishing as well!
the thing that aggrevates me the most is the cities that put garbage cans out for us to use. this is great but what i see is bad.....
a.) people are too lazy to take the walk to the can... this one is a given!
b.) (this one makes me mad the most) the city puts the cans out there, but they dont empty them regularly so they become full and the people just start throwing the garbage on the ground by the can... which sux too because then it ends up blowing around, into the water or onto peoples property!
in my opinion, it should be "carry in, carry out" just like alot of parks are! they dont put out cans and this eliminates the problem... seems to work, maybe not 100% but better than it used to be! if only littering could be more enforced!
ok, i am done ranting about this subject... i just feel that it is a very important way to "give back"!
like i said, glad to hear there are others that do this as well and i hope that others pick up on the idea too!

Polar

« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2004, 01:27 PM »
I help out with the Boy scouts and Girl scouts. Plus I've taken many kids fishing just to show them the fun of the sport, from Parents that don't fish. One thing I can say from experince is Eagle Claw has been a great help in this area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.