FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Best Fighting, non-saltwater Fish  (Read 9696 times)

TroutFishingBear

Best Fighting, non-saltwater Fish
« on: Mar 21, 2004, 11:24 PM »
This post is about non-saltwater fish.
I think that a big old rainbow trout in my colorado river fights way harder than any bass, pike, or catfish that I catch.

It may be that I use lighter gear, but they fight great and are acrobats!!

What are your guys'  favorite fighters and why???

suskymusky

Re: Best Fighting, non-saltwater Fish
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2004, 11:42 PM »
I'd have to say Carp.Most fish give up after a few tugs, but carp fight you right to the end.I had one on last year that had to be over 30 lbs.I fought it for 20 minutes until it broke me off. River smallmouth are great fighters for their size.Even the little ones put up a good fight.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2004, 04:42 AM »
Suskymuskey,
I'm with you on this one....Carp don't quit easy.  They're a handful on a  fllyrod in fast river water, or on spin tackle in open water.

My second choice would be freshwater drum. Very much like permit with their disc shaped body. Around here they get to 15 lbs pretty frequently and larger.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ice1or2

• HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2004, 05:59 AM »
1. big carp
2.big smallmouth
3.big kitties
4.I agree with drum also, talk about fighting till near death!!
5.In between  1,2,3,&4 still has to be steelies!!
What the h##l, any fight is a good fight! ::)

nehusker13

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:11 AM »
I'd have to say Carp.Most fish give up after a few tugs, but carp fight you right to the end.I had one on last year that had to be over 30 lbs.I fought it for 20 minutes until it broke me off. River smallmouth are great fighters for their size.Even the little ones put up a good fight.

Last year I was fishing below a dam near here and was catching some decent wipers, and small walleye when The guy across the bay yelled asking anyone for help. He was using a crappie rig with crawlers. He had 2 carp on that weighed at least 10 pounds each. He fought them for a long time. I would have to agree with you on the carp. I may not keep them, but they are fighters.

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:44 AM »
Well Id have to say Brooks On the FLy First most...Pound for Pound they are a heck of a fight...Jump well head shakes They run...Now if i Myself could catch em over 5 i would just Die...If they got as big as CArp man there wouldn't be any denying they would be King. For Overall Longevity on Fish fiights i would have to say Carp...Then Salmon...Then Bowfin..Then Bass Then Pike...Just my thoughts...TIght lines!
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:49 AM »
depending on your gear, i'd have to say #! carp, #2 channel cats #3 iceout lakers  grump

fishguts

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2004, 07:37 AM »
pound for pound id say its a tie between a smallmouth in 70 deg plus water or a big brown trout in the open lake about 40 foot down! they just dont want to come up!

fulltmedad

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Massachusetts Goatboys
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2004, 07:38 AM »
Smallmouth Bass for number one and river sturgeon have to be second, if I was to pick a third it would be carp.
FTD

seaweed01

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2004, 08:04 AM »
River smallmouth - pound for pound I don't beleive there is a freshwater fish that fights any more. They just never want to give up.

jigerjim

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2004, 08:10 AM »
I would also say the Smallmouth in the river, But I think the Drum would be a close second. I wish I could find Drum more often. 
All way's keep your line wet

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2004, 08:19 AM »
depending on your gear, i'd have to say #! carp, #2 channel cats #3 iceout lakers  grump

I'm with you grump. Except my third would have to be smallmouth. Never caught a laker.
Harold

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2004, 08:55 AM »
I've caught landlocked salmon from the Penobscot River in Maine and I think they are one of the strongest fighting and most acrobatic fish I've ever caught - pound for pound. Next would have to be river smallies. 
Those who are brave are free ..       

grumpymoe

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2004, 09:02 AM »
howey 1176  i like the scrappy smallies as well, but they dont roll and roll after you play out a spring lake trout...grump

mrlongbeard1

« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2004, 09:27 AM »
 Carp, Small Mouth bass, Pound for pound a Bluegill is pretty tough imagin what  a ten pounder might be like? And I bet sturgon have to be a real tug.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.