FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Best Fighting, non-saltwater Fish  (Read 9694 times)

jbstar19

Re: Best Fighting, non-saltwater Fish
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2004, 10:05 AM »
Allthough I'm a diehard trout fisherman, I'd have to say pound for pound river smallies are some of the best fighters, even the small ones fight like ther're monsters! But as far as pure, line breaking power, salmon are hard to beat!!!

wyogator

« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2004, 01:18 PM »
Pound for pound, I'd say rainbows without a doubt.

kingfshr16

« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2004, 02:09 PM »
Rainbows, salmon, catfish, but gills and crappies fight pretty good for their size too.

reubenpa

« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2004, 02:21 PM »
I agree with all of you guys, but how many have caught a 15 inch fallfish or bigger?  I got one in the Susquy last year, and that thing was a fighter.  It wasn't heavy, but it was fast!!  It was awesome, but not like a smallie though!! 12 inch smallie feels like a 20 inch largemouth
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

wny angler

« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2004, 02:40 PM »
pound for pound bluegills put up the best battle  , ;D for big fish 30lb+ fresh super charged salmon in the lower niagara river are tough to beat

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2004, 03:13 PM »
I really enjoy a good fight with a hefty smallmouth, but..............trust me, hook up with a 35 - 40 lb king salmon and after the 2nd or 3rd 100 yd reel scream, you will know why he is the king! ;)

Fishingking

« Reply #21 on: Mar 22, 2004, 04:06 PM »
pound for pound  comparing the fight to the size of fish id have to say

smallies

and then

bluegills
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2004, 05:01 PM »
Number one on my list is LL Salmon with their countless 4 foot leaps out of the water, Coho's and Steelhead are a close 2nd..
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2004, 05:03 PM »
My all time favourite would have to be the mighty Rainbow Trout.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:31 PM »
I really enjoy a good fight with a hefty smallmouth, but..............trust me, hook up with a 35 - 40 lb king salmon and after the 2nd or 3rd 100 yd reel scream, you will know why he is the king! ;)

3 other buddies and I went on a salmon/trout charter on Lake Ontario a couple of springs ago in mid April ( the time when all of those little black bugs cover everything). Really good day ended up with 8 browns and a few coho's. On our way back the captain decided the last fish of the day was going to be mine because I had lost two other's at the boat earlier and hadn't boated a fish yet. About a mile from port he yells fish on. I run and grab it and I had the fight of my life. After a half hour of exghausting fighting and watching the line foot counter on the reel go crazy and counless runs I finally boated him. Don't know what he weighed but it was 34" long and the captain said it was a good size king.

The fight of my life. Almost forgot about that one. :)
Harold

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:33 PM »
oh boy smallies on the river for sure ;D ;D
tight lines, chuck

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:36 PM »
You guys may think...what the hell is this crazy moron talkin about, but have you ever thought about how hard a 10 lb chub would fight? Oh man, that would be a serious battle. HOWEVER...nothing compares to a smallie in strong current (like below a dam). A good, healthy smallie in any current will fight you to the end.

A carp is an incredible fighter as well, so I'm going to make smallies my number 1, and carp my number 2. I want to catch a drum, I've heard a lot about the fight. No where to fish for them around these parts :(

-Zach

acsacmboy

« Reply #27 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:42 PM »
smallies are hard fighters. carp also. bluegills for thier size are amazzing. imagine if they got over 15-18 inches? wow. salmon are hard fighters. once pike reach the magical number of 32, they fight hard. especially those 45 plus inchers. nice fishin eh?
Randy Mason
FLCC 09' Fisheries Technology major

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #28 on: Mar 22, 2004, 08:35 PM »

my friend caught a 40 pound king salmon. He said it fought like crap. He said it's not that fun because the gear they use for them is like marlin gear!

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #29 on: Mar 22, 2004, 10:57 PM »
Smallies may be worth arguing about, but I will still place my bet, pound for pound, on Bluegills with light tackle.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.