FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Natives ?  (Read 1474 times)

Jack1972

Natives ?
« on: Jul 22, 2020, 09:53 AM »
I live next to Merrymeeting & there's a small stream I walk the dog past every morning.  In a small pool I see a group of a dozen or so small fish from probably 2-5" every morning.  They are easily spooked & dart for cover the moment they sense me, and I have yet to get within 6' of them.  The location they are in is a good 500'+ upstream of the lake.  I kind of doubt they stand much of a chance getting out of the pool they are in, let alone all the way down to the lake through that small stream.

Part of me wanted to move a few rocks so they could venture downstream but who am I to play god.  If they were destined to live & die in that pool I'm not sure I should get in their way.  Not to mention they would be Loon, Laker or Bass food the second they hit that lake.

No clue what type of fish that's in the lake could have made it up there, or why.  Tempted to toss a worm on a small hook, toss it in & get my answer once & for all, maybe.  Any ideas based on my lousy description?

caught_the_fever

Re: Natives ?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2020, 11:28 AM »
One thing to bear in mind: with recent weather, unless it's a spring fed pool, those fish are under a lot of stress in warm water.  If that pool is there now, it is likely there in the fall and that may be the best time to answer your questions to assist with survival of caught fish. 

If you know water is cold, and since they're skiddish, the plop of a worm may put those fish on the defensive.  if you own a small fly rod, I'd recommend laying low and casting a small dry fly into the pool. Black parachute adams, elk hair caddis would likely work but if you see other insects in that area use something resembling those. 

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2020, 12:27 PM »
One thing to bear in mind: with recent weather, unless it's a spring fed pool, those fish are under a lot of stress in warm water.  If that pool is there now, it is likely there in the fall and that may be the best time to answer your questions to assist with survival of caught fish. 

If you know water is cold, and since they're skiddish, the plop of a worm may put those fish on the defensive.  if you own a small fly rod, I'd recommend laying low and casting a small dry fly into the pool. Black parachute adams, elk hair caddis would likely work but if you see other insects in that area use something resembling those.

X2 wait for the water to cool. You would be surprised how far fish can go to spawn. Water levels now are way down from where the can be.

Jack1972

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2020, 01:23 PM »
The water does come down off some hills but they are far from mountains.  Although it is running, it's pretty shallow so doubtful it's very cold.  I'm just hoping I can get my answer before it dries up or a Raccoon finds them.

In a stream as I described do you think these fish stand a chance to survive or make their way down to the lake?

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2020, 01:49 PM »
Racoon lives matter.

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2020, 01:57 PM »
The water does come down off some hills but they are far from mountains.  Although it is running, it's pretty shallow so doubtful it's very cold.  I'm just hoping I can get my answer before it dries up or a Raccoon finds them.

In a stream as I described do you think these fish stand a chance to survive or make their way down to the lake?

Yes.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2020, 04:22 PM »
If any part of that waterway has been stocked with, or has native trout, then it's possibly they could be brook trout.
If not, then they could be minnows (creek chubs).

From the NH Fish and Game website:

In New Hampshire they are relatively common south of the White Mountains.

Habitat: Creek chubsuckers are found in slow flowing rivers and streams with muddy bottoms and aquatic vegetation.

Habitat:Creek chubs prefer small, moderate to high gradient, clear streams and rivers with gravel and sand substrate. They may occasionally be found in small ponds or lakes with gravel or sandy shorelines.

"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Jack1972

« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2020, 05:30 PM »
Tim the lake is stocked with Rainbows & LLS but there are no Brookies in it.  I've walked upstream pretty much to the beginning of it through the woods & safe to say nothing is stocked above it.

You might be on to something with the Creek Chubs because that description fits this stream perfectly.  Well that's deflating, was hoping I found a hole with some worthwhile fish.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2020, 05:26 AM »
I have in fact caught Brook Trout on 2 separate occasions in said lake

Actually, have caught Brook Trout in many lakes they aren't known be typically be in
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Jack1972

« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2020, 07:06 AM »
Interesting Frank.  Oddly I have yet to catch one by sitting on I disagree with a beer in my hand & no line in the water.  Sometimes I think my chances are just as good in this lake with that approach.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2020, 07:26 AM »
Lol!
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.