FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Erie was... well... Lake Erie...  (Read 2480 times)

LundProv

Lake Erie was... well... Lake Erie...
« on: Nov 07, 2022, 08:38 PM »
Good evening... Got home about an hour ago from a two day journey over to Lake Erie with my son and his friend.  It makes me grateful and just smile at this stage of life when my son calls me with so much enthusiasm -- hey dad -- let's go over to Erie for a day or so...  The torch has definitely been passed and in the old days, I packed the gear and the boat and studied the map (before internet information) and carved out the day(s) and took the kids and their friends over to Erie.  We would manage a few walleyes and perch with our "little" 16' Lund with the smoking 2 stroke on the back.  We would watch the Lowrance X-85 with amazement and I had the pleasure of trying to keep everyone in the boat, focused on the goal of catching fish.  Now, he comes over with his truck and his Ranger with all this fancy Garmin gear installed and tells me to just bring a perch rod as he has everything covered for the walleye. 
Beautiful morning for a drive and we left at 4 am with me driving as the passengers slept as we rolled down the toll road.  I like taking Rt 30 to 24 to 475 to 75 and then the back roads but I was overruled and we took the toll road.  A quick 5 hours later and a stop at High Way Bait for minnows and we were launching out of Mazuriks.  My son had heard that all ya needed was a blue/chrome bandit and troll that lure at 1.8-2.2 mph 110' behind the board and the walleye should be jumping in the boat.  So, we get to the north side of Kelley's and the lake was rocking pretty good.  We set out six rods with six bandits with exotic names like gender reveal, blue shiner, daydream, purple wonder bread chrome and popsicle and we catch a couple of keepers and a number of shorts.  We saw several boats anchored on the north shore of Kelly's island and they appeared to be perching.  We decided to take a break from trolling and go perch for a while and were rewarded with 31 decent perch and great conversation with two guys in another boat that were within shouting distance.  They were local people with great hospitality and encouraged and instructed us with how the locals catch perch.  Basically, it was very similar to how we do it here on Lake Michigan but they tend to let the perch rig lay on the bottom with little tension on the line and look for twitches.  After some perching, back to trolling and really I think fatigue just set in as we were not too succesful and the early morning drive along the the rocking sea and plenty of fresh air just wiped us out.  Once we got back to the launch, there was a great moon out and I was yacking with a couple of guys who had just got off the water.  They told me they did great about 2 miles north of Cedar Point in 40' of water trolling those bandit lures at various distances behind the boat.  They also encouraged us to consider going back out -- right in front of the Mazurik launch and troll in 24' of water parallel with the shoreline to the east.  Again, I think we just ran out of energy/gas. 
Got up early this AM and had a decent breakfast and off we go in pursuit of 2 miles north of Cedar Point in 40' of water.  National weather service predicts 2' or less with waves and this should be a perfect day.  Those exotic bandits were set in place by 7:30 AM and son of a gun, by 9:45, we had 18 walleyes in the box and 3-5' waves.  The wind was mostly west with a little south mixed in and we simply rolled the waves and would run over random pods of nice fish.  We needed to get back home by dinner so with gratitude for our catch, we headed back.  We drove through some pretty massive swells with peaks and troughs that surely would have swalled my old 16' Lund...
We dropped our fish at the Port Clinton fish cleaners and 18 fish went 73 pounds.  We think the biggest was about 8 pounds and the fish cleaning service did a fine job. 
The drive back to Mazurik's from our catch area north of Cedar Point was just short of tough.  Initially, the wind and the waves and the roller coaster ride was kinda fun but the pounding got to be tougher to absorb.  I did enjoy sitting in the back of the Ranger, holding on tight, while my son navigated the way back with a lot more skill than I ever had.  Another joy was watching and listen to my son sound like a field general on the boat when the fishing got crazy good with boards going back left and right.  I heard him say... I am not yelling at you, I am just telling you what to do...  I wondered who taught him that line... There is some tension on the boat as the wind and the waves are making things a bit unstable with standing as you are pulling in fish and extending a net and removing treble hooks from fish.  Fortunately, all went well and we had a safe trip back to shore and back home.  On the ride home in the boat, riding and crashing the waves, I was sitting behind my son with his friend in the port seat thinking about all the fun we have had on the water.  I was also thinking about all the good friends who fished with us over the years and absolutely contributed to his abilities and passion for pursing this hobbie.  I am grateful for each and every one of those friends...
A good couple of days was had with good memories and great fillets that we will share and enjoy for weeks to come.  The weekend was a bit expensive with us spending probably about $400 for fuel, $125 for lodging, $100 for fish cleaning (we used to do our own but it was nice to drop them off while we went to have lunch) and probably another $100 for snacks and miscellaneous things.  We do have to remember... you can't take it with you...  Thanks for reading...

Mac Attack

Re: Lake Erie was... well... Lake Erie...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2022, 09:49 PM »

….   .  Thanks for reading...

No.
Thanks for writing that and allowing me to read it, and relive your trip.

I have fished with my boys for years and have watched them both grow into smart young men.

Nice to hear (read) the same thing (feelings) from you.

Thanks again!!!

And be proud!
Very proud.

wallyworld

« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2022, 04:26 AM »
Great read !!! Well done Dad !!!

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2022, 05:08 AM »
Thanks you. The money spent was worth every penny. Add grand children to the mix and it gets even more valuable. 

abishop

« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2022, 07:30 AM »
Congrats, always a pleasure reading your posts. Thanks

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2022, 07:44 AM »
Great report and Great memories with tears in my eyes!! Lost my son 29 years ago at age 17 but brought back many wonderful memories of he and I chasing bass and bluegills and chasing bunnies with his wonderful little beagle!
If you looked at that blood moon last night and early this morning you have to admit life is good and the Good Lord has Blessed us!
Keep on keeping on as often as you can with those that you love!
Thanks for sharing!
VOTE !!!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

BBLoon

« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2022, 09:41 AM »
Fun post as always, Lund!

popnfish

« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2022, 11:16 AM »
Congrats on a successful trip. Nice read . Glad you did well

rivereddy

« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2022, 03:41 PM »
Great read about a great trip...Your subject line said it all.
And it's apparent that you have passed it on

fish on,

rivereddy

wallin

« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2022, 06:32 PM »
Great report, I was there with Tom Jr and Grandson Thomas III a few weeks before you for the grandsons 1st walleye trolling trip, water was tuff 2 of the 3 days but we did manage a few descent fish. It's great to be able to share and teach the younger ones. Great read I enjoyed it.

Wallin

LundProv

« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2022, 07:00 PM »
Brother Wallin... you are gonna have to teach this old dog how to post photos...

wallin

« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2022, 07:05 PM »
Any time
Wallin

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2022, 07:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing!  Looks like you did alright. Been there done that in the wind. It's no fun.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Daybreak

« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2022, 07:44 AM »
Great report, thanks for taking us along.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

den58

« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2022, 04:45 PM »
Great read thanks for sharing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.