FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: Who's got a jet?  (Read 7041 times)

Jigwiggler

Who's got a jet?
« on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:05 AM »
Not that you need them yet!  I was just wondering who out there has jet boats , what kind and how you set yours up?
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Riverjet

Re: Who's got a jet?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2004, 03:00 PM »
I do :)
Heaven is a shallow river & a jet

seaweed01

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2004, 03:48 PM »
I've got one also.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2004, 05:22 PM »
What size boats and jets?  Where is the foot of your jet in relation to the bottom of your transom?  Any jet horror stories?  Ever clog your jet so full of weeds that you shear a key.  I have, I  wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

Riverjet

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2004, 06:16 AM »
16' Basstracker with 40/30 Yamaha boyesen reeds. Most jets if set up right the foot is usually even or a little above bottom of transom. All boats are different. Takes a little experimenting. No horror stories. Love mine. Will clog with leaves in the fall but have never sheared a pin. 

Jigwiggler

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2004, 06:49 AM »
     The only way I can see to shear a key is to suck something up while going full speed through shallow water.  We did just once.  Late summer and the water was real low.  Went through a rift at the end of an island, had to make a real sharp turn in order to enter it.  When we got to the end I looked ahead and there saw nothing but a solid mass of long weeds.  There was no turning back, the rift was to shallow to float  back down through.  CLOG!  What a mess. ::)
    You said you installed boyesen reeds?  Did you notice much of a difference?  Did they change the RPM range of the engine?  I don't understand that while liquid cooled 2 strokes in snowmobiles and such will turn 8-10,000 RPM's while outboards are limited to 5-6,000.  If you could get into that higher RPM range you would have a lot more top end for covering water.  Heck, my air cooled Polaris sled doesn't move until you hit 5 grand and that is a 1973!  I don't see why it isn't possible with outboards.  My whole point to this is that if you could turn more RPM's for more top end you could get away with a smaller, lighter motor which would in turn allow you to access shallower water.
     Jets are an awesome tool to increase your fishing opportunities.  I'm just curious to hear some other views and experience.  Also something to talk about since there is not alot of posting going on yet ;D.

seaweed01

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:44 AM »
14' Roughneck with a 25/18 Evenrude. No horror
stories either.  I have had the problem with leaves
in fall, just stop, put in reverse and leaves usually
flush out and then continue on. One thing I have
noticed is that if you slow down in shallow water 3-4"
you can have a harder time getting back up on plane
(you have to build up speed and take it easy and not suck up debris into the intake.) After a time or two of
this happening you learn fast what you can do and not
do. I lopve mine also, its the only way to go on  a
shallow river.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2004, 06:52 AM »
     The only way I can see to shear a key is to suck something up while going full speed through shallow water.  We did just once.  Late summer and the water was real low.  Went through a rift at the end of an island, had to make a real sharp turn in order to enter it.  When we got to the end I looked ahead and there saw nothing but a solid mass of long weeds.  There was no turning back, the rift was to shallow to float  back down through.  CLOG!  What a mess. ::)
    You said you installed boyesen reeds?  Did you notice much of a difference?  Did they change the RPM range of the engine?  I don't understand that while liquid cooled 2 strokes in snowmobiles and such will turn 8-10,000 RPM's while outboards are limited to 5-6,000.  If you could get into that higher RPM range you would have a lot more top end for covering water.  Heck, my air cooled Polaris sled doesn't move until you hit 5 grand and that is a 1973!  I don't see why it isn't possible with outboards.  My whole point to this is that if you could turn more RPM's for more top end you could get away with a smaller, lighter motor which would in turn allow you to access shallower water.
     Jets are an awesome tool to increase your fishing opportunities.  I'm just curious to hear some other views and experience.  Also something to talk about since there is not alot of posting going on yet ;D.

boyesen reeds???   What are these? If you wouldn't mind.
Harold

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2004, 02:16 PM »
They are the intake "valves" on 2 strokes.  The boyesen reeds are made from a better, more plyable material.  They use them on alot of the racing engines for moto-cross and boat racing etc,etc.  Surf the net and you should beable to find them or go to a dealer for the type of motor you have and they can or should be able to steer you in the right direction.  They are a little pricey but if they work on outboards like they did on my dirt bike you'll love them.  Great improvement on throttle response.

Tight lines,
Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

Jigwiggler

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2004, 03:17 PM »
Yeah, what USMC said. ;D  I am just curious, I had never heard of anyone installing these on an outboard before. 

Riverjet if your out there please update us on your performance gains. 

Riverjet

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2004, 04:16 PM »
Yeah no problem I just finnished hand lapping the reed blocks this weekend. You would be surprised how they are not flat from the factory. Roughed them with 320 emery and finished them with 600. Installed the reeds and rev plates which by the way are a two stage reed instead of a single stage like the stock ones. I am now waiting on the rebuild kits for the carbs to come in the mail. They should have been here today but not so far. Once i get these i will rebuild the carbs and reinstall everything and hopefully be able to test this weekend. The yamaha does not require a jet change as some do Just richen the air screws a turn. I have used these reeds in a couple of dirt bikes i used to have and let me tell you they kick ass and take numbers. Will keep you posted on the benefits of these. Hopefully i will test them this weekend and post the results. If they are half as good as the ones i installed in the dirt bikes i will be quite happy for the effort.  The web site is http://www.boyesen.com/

Jigwiggler

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2004, 04:46 PM »
     Thanks riverjet!!  Definatley keep us posted!!  I have been talking with my father (his boat) about trying to squeeze a little more out of his.  He said that his Johnson (40 Jet, 60 hp) has adjustable throttle stops on the carbs.  They only let the carbs open about half way.  There may be an easy gain right there.  This motor only turns 5000.  The last one he had was a 70 hp and it turned well over 6000.  The faster you turn that pump, the more water is pushed, the faster you go.  This wouldn't help for acceleration to plane, just top end.  Which is what I am looking for since I sometimes travel long distances on the Susqy.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2004, 01:03 AM »
I just aquired an old 5 hp jet motor recently from another member on this site. The motor was seized, and at first I wasn't sure I could do anything with it. After tearing it apart and cleaning everything I got it running. Now it runs pretty good. Meanwhile my knowledge of 2 strokes is very limited. Untill now I have never actually gotten inside a 2 stroke motor. Are the reeds you speek of, the "flaps" behind the carbuerator going into the crank case that kind of act like a check valve?
Harold

Riverjet

« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2004, 05:15 PM »
Yes They act as valves do for a four stroke. They should be flat no bends nicks or burning.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2004, 09:22 AM »
I see. Learn something everyday.

Besides the carb and ignition being faulty would rusty reeds make it run a lilltle choppy.

For the life of me I can't get this motor to smooth out. I've completely cleaned the carb and put a new plug and points in it. The response is terriblle. It takes it a while to go through the rmp range and seeems to be more choppy in the higher rpm's.
Harold

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.