FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: Who's got a jet?  (Read 7039 times)

Riverjet

Re: Who's got a jet?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2004, 06:42 PM »
Yes they would definatly effect performance. You did not say how rusted. If just surface rust i would remove them and clean them up with some 600 emery. Do this on a flat surface like a piece of glass. If badly rusted you would have to replace them. You also said the motor was seized. Was it from sitting around or failure while running? You may have cracked the rings when you freed it. If it was seized from sitting around the rings were most likely rusted to the cyl wall. Did you do a compression check? Also point setting is critical to timing in a one cyl. Hope this helps.
Heaven is a shallow river & a jet

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2004, 09:25 AM »
They were rusty around the edges. Went and got some of that fine emery like you said and cleaned them up. Helped the response tremendously. It was still choppy though. Talked to my uncle and he said to put an NGK plug in it and gap it .020. Did that and WOW, that was my whole problem. I bought a new Autolite because Champion no longer makes the required plug for that motor and thats what was in it originally. The Autolite was gapped at .025 so first I tried regapping to .020. Made a difference but it was still a little choppy.

Now with the NGK it will idle down to a putter and purr like a kitten. Higher rpm's it misses very very little. I think that is mostly my high end jet not being adjusted right yet. But I'm happy with it seeing as how it's like around 50 years old and was free.

Thanks for the info and tips Riverjet. Helped my throttle response a lot. Just like a brand new motor. :)
Harold

Jigwiggler

« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2004, 05:12 PM »
RiverJet,

Did you get that baby in the water yet??  I have been looking at those reeds myself and am waiting for a performance report before I make a decision.   I got out on Sun for a while, no luck though.  Still to cold.
                                                                                       Jigwiggler
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Riverjet

« Reply #18 on: Mar 23, 2004, 07:52 PM »
Well i got it all back together. But unfortunatley when i was putting the accel rod back on the carbs the center socket broke. Hate plastic parts. I have one on order. I think i found a place that may have one in stock today. Will call tomorrow and see if they can overnight it to me. If so will put it in the water this weekend. and post results. Yeah the rivers a little cold yet but i think i could raise some shad this weekend if i could get out.

Riverjet

« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2004, 08:14 PM »
Launched boat today in lambertvile. Ran up to point pleasent and back. Boat ran well. Reeds make the power band smooth thru all speeds. a little more top end but not much. Noticed a definate differance in torque. when running thru a slower stretch of river at a constant speed and going into a riffle where the river runs faster the boat seems to hold the speed better under a load without having to increase throttle to maintain speed. did not notice a major differance in performance. There was a strong current and a pretty stiff north wind that i was traveling against. which made it pretty hard to judge. Would say they make the motor run better and smotther but not a major differance. Total cost was just under $200 with carb kits. I would say if your planning to rebuild your carbs i would also replace the reeds with the boyesens. But would not go thru the trouble just to install the reeds if everything is alright.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #20 on: Mar 28, 2004, 07:03 AM »
     Thanks for the update!  My carbs are in good shape since this motor is only 2 yrs. old.  I was looking on the boyeson site and reeds for my motor are only about $80.00.  So if I have any reason to take the carbs off I may just stick some new reeds in too.  I also saw that reeds for my little 15hp were only $30.00.  This motor does not transition smoothly from mid RPM's to top end and at the speed I usually like to cruise at is not steady and usually tries to either run faster or slower.  Runs great at top end and trolls like a dream, I just find my self running faster than I need to most of the time ( since once on plane I can back off to about 1/3 throttle and still maintain a good speed, 20 mph+) to avoid the surging.  Reeds may help this and for $30 I don't see how I could go wrong. 

I would definatley like to hear a long term report on how they affected fuel economy and if you notice a difference during the low water season.

Jigwiggler
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.