FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 40" pike  (Read 11916 times)

waldo24

Re: 40" pike
« Reply #15 on: Jun 28, 2012, 11:38 AM »
Hey thats nice pike Big Worm!.....and same to you SSmokin!.....I agree with the rest of the gang here....its up to whoever catches the fish what you do with it. I just think if your not gonna eat it or mount it......then put it back unharmed.....let the next guy or kid catch em and enjoy the awesome fight they give us!

carcaju

« Reply #16 on: Jun 28, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Hey thats nice pike Big Worm!.....and same to you SSmokin!.....I agree with the rest of the gang here....its up to whoever catches the fish what you do with it. I just think if your not gonna eat it or mount it......then put it back unharmed.....let the next guy or kid catch em and enjoy the awesome fight they give us!
x2

vogel451

« Reply #17 on: Jun 28, 2012, 02:39 PM »
What a awsome fish!  I ate pike for the first time a couple months ago.  I was very suprised,  its was some of the best fish ive ever tasted.  tell you pops nice catch!
-Mclovin out

big worm

« Reply #18 on: Jun 28, 2012, 03:24 PM »
actually a big northern like that does more to the ecosystem then you can imagine. That is a breeding machine.

"If you want to improve a pike fishery, immediately put the 36"+ fish back. In fact don't even take them out of the water. Keep and eat any 24-30" fish. It's called Selective Harvest, and works well with pike populations. The bigger fish cannibalize the smaller pike. Remove or kill a big fish, and there's nothing to keep the smaller fish in check, and you get a ton of obnoxious hammer handles. "

I am just biased I guess. With the replica mounts they do today that look better then a skin mount and last longer I just dont understand keeping it.

it was not caught in a pike fishery.  it was caught in a bass and panfish lake.  last thing I want for that lake is a breeding machine.  I also disagree with the replica mounts.  I think they look like a fake plastic fish but this one went on the dinner table anyways.

big worm

« Reply #19 on: Jun 28, 2012, 03:26 PM »
What bait/ lure did it hit on? Awesome catch! thanks for posting! Pike are my favorite to eat!
yamamoto worm

jager61

• FB Page: NY Reservoir Trout
« Reply #20 on: Jun 28, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Pike filets (bones and all, ha) when ground up in a food processor or chopped in a blender make awesome fish cakes! My favorite way to eat the toothy ones!

Mike

Aeaglos

« Reply #21 on: Jun 28, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Congrats on the Fantastic Pike! Hope to catch a monster like that one day myself  :)

big worm

« Reply #22 on: Jun 28, 2012, 05:06 PM »
Pike filets (bones and all, ha) when ground up in a food processor or chopped in a blender make awesome fish cakes! My favorite way to eat the toothy ones!

Mike

that is what we did.  actually got a recipe of iceshanty.com last winter with bacon, peppers and onions mixed in and fried in the bacon grease.  it was awesome.

greensider

« Reply #23 on: Jun 28, 2012, 06:40 PM »
ive got both replica and skin mounts big diference always get a skin when posable

SSmokinn SS

« Reply #24 on: Jun 28, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Nice Lookin Pike ya got there too! Definitely looks bigger than 30"!

mine? He was well over the 40" mark..... and he still swim's today.

SSmokinn SS

« Reply #25 on: Jun 28, 2012, 07:59 PM »
it was not caught in a pike fishery.  it was caught in a bass and panfish lake.  last thing I want for that lake is a breeding machine.  I also disagree with the replica mounts.  I think they look like a fake plastic fish but this one went on the dinner table anyways.

I have skin mounts of a 39" laker and a bass from when I was young and I have a replica mount of my 10lb+ largemouth I caught last season and the replica largemouth looks more realistic then the actual skin mounts... but then again I didnt cheap out and I had the one and only 10 times bass champion John Fox in florida do the replica.

as long as you go to a taxidermist that is good with replica mounts, a real life looking one shouldnt be a issue and you get them back super fast and they are cheaper (most the time)

jager61

• FB Page: NY Reservoir Trout
« Reply #26 on: Jun 28, 2012, 09:46 PM »
mine? He was well over the 40" mark..... and he still swim's today.

"If you want to improve a pike fishery, immediately put the 36"+ fish back. In fact don't even take them out of the water"  :D

Well, maybe just this one time! And I don't blame you one bit Bro! That's a great pic!

Mike

davejohnson2

« Reply #27 on: Jun 28, 2012, 09:50 PM »
i got a question what grows to replace the big pike when it dies if they have eaten all the small ones?

Buggies

« Reply #28 on: Jun 28, 2012, 11:39 PM »
Nice Pike your old man caught, Big Worm!

I hope the dinner was good!

pike46

• looking for my 30 pounder
« Reply #29 on: Jun 29, 2012, 07:40 PM »

46 inch 23 lb Pike replica
Northeast Taxidermy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.