FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First Yellow Perch Eggs 2022  (Read 1338 times)

taxid

First Yellow Perch Eggs 2022
« on: Mar 18, 2022, 12:58 PM »
Northeastern Indiana. Surface water temp @  3/18/22 is 53.1 F. (11.7 C).

Keep in mind this pond is only 1/10th acre so it warms faster than larger bodies of water.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

indianahooker

Re: First Yellow Perch Eggs 2022
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2022, 06:38 AM »
will you gather any and hatch in the tanks?

taxid

Re: First Yellow Perch Eggs 2022
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2022, 02:20 PM »
will you gather any and hatch in the tanks?

Not this year. For the few I need (about 100 females every few years ) it's not worth the trouble. The hatching is easy: Place males and females in a floating pen and let them do their thing. The eggs hatch, the fry swim out of the pen, and the broodfish are removed with the pen to preclude any predation.

The hard part is feed training them at night with a light and belt feeder and the feed cost. All in all it's actually cheaper to buy about 100 from a fish farm I know in Ohio, and he even sorts the females for me as they grow the biggest and the fastest. Already feed trained too.

OTOH there seems to be a shortage of stock fish recently but I can wait a couple of years regardless.

The eggs in the photo aren't actually wanted, so I remove them before they hatch. I drained down, and had that pond rotenoned a couple of years ago, but somehow about a half a dozen yellow perch survived. I'm going to use that pond for bluegill production. So I don't want yellow perch in there consuming the bluegill fry. I will remove them by hook and line, or at last resort drain the pond and remove them.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.