FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hydraulic steering  (Read 1090 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Hydraulic steering
« on: Mar 22, 2022, 08:49 AM »
I've got some minor binding happening with the cable steering on my boat that I need to address before the season gets underway. It's got a 150 Merc 2 stroke from 2006 and the cables are likely original. I'm sure I can fix the binding with either new cables or just some lubrication, but I'm looking to upgrade to hydraulic steering this season. I can get a Seastar with the hoses complete for like $1450 from my local marina, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the off brands that I am seeing- BBH, Vevor, Mophorn etc.? They are less than half of the Seastar product that I need, but I know with boats, you get what you pay for. My boat tops out at 45mph so apparently that takes the less expensive Baystar units out of the running. Appreciate any first hand experience.

lowaccord66

Re: Hydraulic steering
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2022, 10:37 AM »
I have seastar on both my boats.  Only thing I can advise is the service is expensive when the seals blow on the piston.  Keep debris off the piston!  Other than that I havent experienced any other brands.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2022, 10:43 AM »
So you've blown the seals before. Interesting. That alone makes me more apt to go with a big name brand. Chances are service for a Chinese knockoff is probably limited at best.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2022, 04:02 PM »
Yes I did.  The new seals are sweet.  The steering was essentially doing the same as cables.  Binding up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.