FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: walleye  (Read 13620 times)

bigfish

Re: walleye
« Reply #30 on: Oct 24, 2010, 09:46 AM »
FG. i was out on a charter on friday night caught some blues jiging till dark switched over to clams only skate and dogs. not one stripper. lucky my 12 lb blue got me the pool.
this week monksville see whats up with the walleye.

fishgalore

« Reply #31 on: Oct 24, 2010, 07:17 PM »
FG. i was out on a charter on friday night caught some blues jiging till dark switched over to clams only skate and dogs. not one stripper. lucky my 12 lb blue got me the pool.
this week monksville see whats up with the walleye.

We jigged only no bottom fishing. No clams or bait was used that I'm aware of. Monksville and Merrill Creek are two places we've talked about trying out. Hear MC has some nice Lakers. Monksville is BIG! Good luck.

dmntd169

« Reply #32 on: Oct 24, 2010, 07:27 PM »
We jigged only no bottom fishing. No clams or bait was used that I'm aware of. Monksville and Merrill Creek are two places we've talked about trying out. Hear MC has some nice Lakers. Monksville is BIG! Good luck.

Its not a big body of water but has a lot of depth which is what making it so hard for me to get any kind of pattern down...theres lakers in there now too unless they all got washed down into the Wanaque  ;) ;)

MC has some nice eyes as well as lakers but I wish they'd make it a 9.9 lake like RV. The winds there can make an electric trolling motor d**n near worthless  :-\ :-\ :-\
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

bigfish

« Reply #33 on: Oct 24, 2010, 10:02 PM »
never fished MC i know guys that trout fish only and they love it. Monksville is around the corner from me . i never tried for the lakers but i have marked some good fish down deep . the state was up on wawayanda mid week i think  they were netting salmon . caught one 12 " this season so i think some are still in the lake at least the one i caught was in good shape and still swimming .

projoe

« Reply #34 on: Oct 25, 2010, 04:08 PM »
has anyone actually seen lake trout caught out of monksville? wen the d**n side froze over in the winter i tried jigging in 30-75 ft of water and caught some HUGE yellow perch and couple LM. Fish where mostly suspended and was able to locate them on my showdown but wasnt able to connect with any lakers or eyes.

bigfish

« Reply #35 on: Oct 25, 2010, 04:33 PM »
i never seen one come out of there. no one local that i know has caught any. in the 80'sjoe  i fished R.V. if you got your bait just off the bottom they will hit  shinners herring i even caught them on nightcrawlers. i just didn't have the time this year. congtats on the deep jgging on the hard water never fished that side of monksville in winter .

fishgalore

« Reply #36 on: Oct 26, 2010, 04:42 AM »
has anyone actually seen lake trout caught out of monksville? wen the d**n side froze over in the winter i tried jigging in 30-75 ft of water and caught some HUGE yellow perch and couple LM. Fish where mostly suspended and was able to locate them on my showdown but wasnt able to connect with any lakers or eyes.

I don't know if there are Lakers in Monksville but there are Trout there. http://www.aa-fishing.com/nj/new-jersey-trout-fishing.html

ratso

« Reply #37 on: Oct 26, 2010, 11:02 AM »
Lakers were stocked in Skunksville. 4,000 back several years ago. There has been no reputable report by anyone that I am aware of for their actually taking hold in the water body. It would be nice if the state would report back about that attempt to establish a L.T. fishery up here in the northern part of the state. They would be up on top in the ice out period and not to deep when the temps were down low.
 ???

projoe

« Reply #38 on: Oct 26, 2010, 03:43 PM »
that side of monksville is one of the last bodies of water that acheive safe ice in the winter and last year it was only safe for about 2 and half weeks but i find that there are a lot of oppurtunities for quality fish. between me and my brother we have had a few nice fish on that we never have gotten a look at, while fishing the deep water. i just wish i could have put more time in on the open water.

dmntd169

« Reply #39 on: Oct 26, 2010, 04:21 PM »
that side of monksville is one of the last bodies of water that acheive safe ice in the winter and last year it was only safe for about 2 and half weeks but i find that there are a lot of oppurtunities for quality fish. between me and my brother we have had a few nice fish on that we never have gotten a look at, while fishing the deep water. i just wish i could have put more time in on the open water.

I think I spent 3 days over the deep water last winter and marked quite a few fish down 60-70'+ but couldn't hook up with anything...I haven't had any luck jigging lakers anywhere else through the ice so I'm gonna say thats what I was marking   :whistling: :whistling:

I have a feeling quite a few of them  went right over the dam into the Wanaque since from what I remember hearing they stocked right by the dam so the fish had a better chance of not getting picked off right away.

projoe

« Reply #40 on: Oct 26, 2010, 06:49 PM »
from what i read they stocked them in "open water", i didnt realize they put them so close to the d**n to the point of possibly risking them getting washed over but it wouldnt surprise me if they did. the lake is fairly deep and should be able to support some kind of trout in its ecosystem. it has a decent amount of bait in it as well. i just dont know why it hasnt worked. i have found that monksville has quite a bit of water that just doesnt hold fish. to me it seems like there are just a few areas that hold fish and those that have explored them are those whom have had success.

fishgalore

« Reply #41 on: Oct 30, 2010, 09:20 AM »
Delaware tomorrow.....probably Poxono and above. Hope we get some bite on!!!

dmntd169

« Reply #42 on: Nov 01, 2010, 03:44 PM »
from what i read they stocked them in "open water", i didnt realize they put them so close to the d**n to the point of possibly risking them getting washed over but it wouldnt surprise me if they did. the lake is fairly deep and should be able to support some kind of trout in its ecosystem. it has a decent amount of bait in it as well. i just dont know why it hasnt worked. i have found that monksville has quite a bit of water that just doesnt hold fish. to me it seems like there are just a few areas that hold fish and those that have explored them are those whom have had success.

We've caught trout out of there year round. When the state was doing the angler studies on trout catch rates almost no one reported them and that was 1 of the main reasons the state took it off the stocking schedule. No one reports catching them so the state saw that as they weren't being caught. Why stock someplace with trout if no one is catching them? Also, contrary to what most anglers want to believe, more trout were being eaten by walleyes in there than by the muskies (I know there were a few published studies on it but I don't have the time to look for them right now)

Hopefully this cold snap turns the eyes on locally...I love living a mile from a major river full of them  ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.