FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New NHF&G Video-- RELEASING SALMON!!  (Read 32642 times)

rude the dude

• when can we go again?
Re: New NHF&G Video-- RELEASING SALMON!!
« Reply #15 on: Jul 14, 2013, 09:08 AM »
I didn't realize your supposed to bang them around in the net and handle them so much, or keep them out of the water so long, the first release on the video, I would of never taken the fish out of the water, and would of had it released before they got there pliers out, I'll have to try and do better. 8)

dickbaker

« Reply #16 on: Jul 17, 2013, 04:28 AM »
 :'( Yup!  Your right Dude.  But it was necessary to net the fish in order to show the hook removal method.  The rubber net is really important.
With a single point hook it can be easy to twist it out without ever taking the fish out of the water.   With a treble a lot of damage is done trying to shake it free while in the water.   Hopefully more fishermen have swapped to single hooks and even barbless hooks?
Dick

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2014, 11:18 AM »
It just seems like common sense to me.  If you're going to release the fish, why would you NOT be as skillful and gentle as possible removing the hook and handling the fish, salmon or otherwise??   ???
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

drl823

« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2014, 05:39 PM »
great video and lesson...thanks

dickbaker

« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2016, 03:27 PM »
 ;D ??? Salmon Season is only four days away!!   Hope all fishermen have changed to single point hook and bought rubber nets!!
Going to be a long Spring season!
Dick

dickbaker

« Reply #20 on: Jul 11, 2016, 04:45 PM »
i never understood why we have never gave the same effort into walleye and northern pike fisheries as we have the broodstock salmon and the landlocks. I feel as they are a heartier species and may even naturally reproduce? I know in some bodies of water they have stocked them in the past but not in the same efforts and numbers as the salmon. just a thought though i enjoy catching most species of fish and maybe im jaded as i love cathin eyes and pike

Check out my story in this months (July) Hawkeye and you will see how much politics  is involved in fisheries decisions??   Pike have made a magnificent display at Moore Reservoir and I think trophy walleye would have been even  more impressive.   I've been told that walleye advocates just did not present a popular front and "wild trout" advocates were more  populous??    Still hope for the future if we can get together?/
Dick

BrookieSlayer99

• Trying to catch big bows and brookies!
« Reply #21 on: Jul 14, 2016, 05:20 PM »
Check out my story in this months (July) Hawkeye and you will see how much politics  is involved in fisheries decisions??   Pike have made a magnificent display at Moore Reservoir and I think trophy walleye would have been even  more impressive.   I've been told that walleye advocates just did not present a popular front and "wild trout" advocates were more  populous??    Still hope for the future if we can get together?/
Dick
The fishery of wild brown and rainbow trout in the Connecticut river system in the Littleton area is New Hampshire's only and personally I wouldn't even think about possibly jeopardizing it.

dickbaker

« Reply #22 on: Jul 31, 2016, 04:45 PM »
I'm not sure what Littleton "wild trout" you are referring to.   The tail race fishing below Moore Dam is famous for big trout, but they are all stocked fish?   
Dick

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #23 on: Aug 10, 2016, 11:36 AM »
I'm not sure what Littleton "wild trout" you are referring to.   The tail race fishing below Moore Dam is famous for big trout, but they are all stocked fish?  
Dick
Haha keep thinking that....

Look at the stocking rates. The connecticut river below Moore doesn't get stocked. Although there certainly are quite a few drop downs, wild trout definitely make up a sizable population.

Dispy

« Reply #24 on: Aug 23, 2016, 10:27 PM »
Haha keep thinking that....

Look at the stocking rates. The connecticut river below Moore doesn't get stocked. Although there certainly are quite a few drop downs, wild trout definitely make up a sizable population.
they are called "drop-backs" ....still a stocked fish ::)
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #25 on: Aug 24, 2016, 02:25 PM »
they are called "drop-backs" ....still a stocked fish ::)
I don't have to explain myself. If you think they are stocked fish, then so be it.

Dispy

« Reply #26 on: Aug 24, 2016, 07:38 PM »
I don't have to explain myself. If you think they are stocked fish, then so be it.
Easy there BrookieSlayer...I do recall recently reading a Vermont biologists article on some wild trout in the Ct River, if only I could remember where I read it or the statistics he provided. I'll dig for it and share when I find it.
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #27 on: Aug 24, 2016, 11:06 PM »
Easy there BrookieSlayer...I do recall recently reading a Vermont biologists article on some wild trout in the Ct River, if only I could remember where I read it or the statistics he provided. I'll dig for it and share when I find it.
I'm not putting any hard feelings out. I just think that there are far too many fish in that system for most of them to be stockies. If you find that article, please share it. I would be very interested to see the statistics.

dickbaker

« Reply #28 on: Sep 05, 2016, 06:42 AM »
 ??? My recent story in Hawkeye Magazine mentioned that NH and Vt. biologists found native rainbow and brown trout below Comerford dam.   
This resulted from the two year inventory of fish related to stocking walleye in Moore Reservoir.   The Moore dam tailrace has been stocked with rainbow, brown trout as well as landlocked salmon.   Rainbow trout used to spawn in a Vt. stream just down stream from  Moore but they haven't used it more many years.  Gabe Gries informed me that there may be no future stocking below the Moore tailrace?   A Vt. biologist told me that they have stocked so many different strains of Rainbow trout , in the Conn. , that they have lost track of their genotype?
Most of Moore Reservoir  brooks have native brook trout, but you will never find a large one in the Reservoir itself?   
Dick

dickbaker

« Reply #29 on: Sep 08, 2016, 08:23 AM »
 ??? In the past Vermont has done the stocking below Moore Dam and at Comerford Reservoir.  I've been told that some of that may come to an end.
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.