FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: North Sask River  (Read 4892 times)

swampy45

• country boy
North Sask River
« on: Apr 04, 2009, 01:46 PM »
Hey everyone.

This summer i am really hoping to get into some decent river fishing, although i NEVER seem to be able to catch much... What would everyone suggest for fishing the river??? any particular spots to give a shot? bait to try? lures to give a shot???  thanks.
bike, fish, bike, fish...

davidthefisher

Re: North Sask River
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2009, 10:12 AM »
Last summer I started fishing nsr for the first time since i was a lil guy and i went to hermitage park walked down to the river and went left along shore, walk down till u have to get accross the little creek what not anywhere from there down to the spot where water comes in to the river has been goodd never got skunked, used pickeral rigs always because i tried other stuff like sppoons and rapalas and i just had no luck but loosing them, with pickeral rigs dont get to big of weight on it and buy some smaller hooks(dont use the ones you get wth pickeral rig) and use your own hooks on pickeral rig. what i do is minnow on one hook worm or leech on the other and u will catch. You dont have to cast 15 ft out good luck hope this helps.

Rumtan

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2009, 10:35 AM »
On August22 we are planning a float & fish down the NSR.  You are welcome to join us if youd like.  The trip is a 2 day affair with overnight camping on shore.  We are taking pontoons and inflatables,  if you have one you are welcome to join us.

swampy45

• country boy
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2009, 12:32 PM »
Last summer I started fishing nsr for the first time since i was a lil guy and i went to hermitage park walked down to the river and went left along shore, walk down till u have to get accross the little creek what not anywhere from there down to the spot where water comes in to the river has been goodd never got skunked, used pickeral rigs always because i tried other stuff like sppoons and rapalas and i just had no luck but loosing them, with pickeral rigs dont get to big of weight on it and buy some smaller hooks(dont use the ones you get wth pickeral rig) and use your own hooks on pickeral rig. what i do is minnow on one hook worm or leech on the other and u will catch. You dont have to cast 15 ft out good luck hope this helps.
thank you kindly sir! helped out quite a bit!

swampy45

• country boy
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2009, 12:34 PM »
On August22 we are planning a float & fish down the NSR.  You are welcome to join us if youd like.  The trip is a 2 day affair with overnight camping on shore.  We are taking pontoons and inflatables,  if you have one you are welcome to join us.
hey Rumtan! that sounds like a total blast! ill have to see what ill be up to that weekend and what i can work out, but i think i would be down for a go at that! where do you launch at?

Rumtan

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2009, 01:46 PM »
We will probably put in at 50st and float down to Smokey Lake area......we have to try it first for timming but thats were the fish are (i have a cabin up that way)

swampy45

• country boy
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2009, 01:55 PM »
cool cool. ill have to talk to you about some spots to try fishing... i dont know the river too well.

Rumtan

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2009, 03:46 PM »
We may have to change it to south of Devon....and take out at Devon....we havent got the specifics yet....bare with us we are still in the planning stages.

swampy45

• country boy
« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2009, 12:39 PM »
wondering if anyone has gotten out onto the river on any ice free spots yet? im thinking of checking it this week.

davidthefisher

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2009, 09:58 PM »
wondering if anyone has gotten out onto the river on any ice free spots yet? im thinking of checking it this week.
if its open im pretty sure u wont be able to catch much bcuz the river will be moving pretty quick last yr i found it slowed down around june. but i might be wrong, sorry if i am.

swampy45

• country boy
« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2009, 05:45 PM »
if its open im pretty sure u wont be able to catch much bcuz the river will be moving pretty quick last yr i found it slowed down around june. but i might be wrong, sorry if i am.
went out last night for a few hours. was pretty slow. had a few hits, not hook sets...  saw lots of fishing breaking water, mostly suckers spawning... river is extremely muddy, but found some clearer back water.

Rumtan

« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Aug 22 from Drayton Valley to Devon it will be.  Overnight on the island 1/2 way and back on the 23rd.  If you have something that floats your welcome to join the flotilla....should be around 9 of us so far.

swampy45

• country boy
« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2009, 02:01 PM »
sweet deal... dunno how well it would work but... 12 foot aluminum???

Rumtan

« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2009, 09:39 AM »
The problem with a 12` boat is it will float at a different rate than those with some sort of inflatable.....if you brought it you would be by yourself for most of the trip - taking the fun out of it in my opinion.

ryanlookingforperch

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 10:40 PM »
Could always tie a pontoon to the 12 ft aluminum...kinda use it as a HUGE drift anchor????

idk....I've done crazier.

cheers!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.