FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I Need New Wading Boots!  (Read 3314 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
I Need New Wading Boots!
« on: Aug 12, 2020, 04:55 AM »
My faithful LLBean Grey Ghost boots are falling apart. Bought them in 2008. Now I don’t know what to buy. I prefer rubber soles with built in cleats.

Anyone have some input!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

filetandrelease

Re: I Need New Wading Boots!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2020, 06:54 AM »
 RG lots of choices , if your not wading in real cold water breathable stocking foot nice  , with wading shoes with interchangeable soles and are much lighter , I have hips , neoprene waders ,  plus a pair of wading shoes just for wet wading
 If you are looking top of the line stuff look a Simms , I bought middle of the road stuff except For my hips ,
 Look on line tons , wished you lived closer
 The 2 shops that I frequent carry all different brands

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2020, 11:36 AM »
I have hip boots and breathable stocking foot As well as neoprene stocking foot waders. I used my boots with both pairs of waders and for wet wading in the summer.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2020, 12:39 PM »
If you are looking for a budget friendly pair, the Cabelas Ultralight lug sole are pretty good.  They come in felt which is my preference but either set has built in holes for adding cleats.  I believe they might even come with a set of cleats to add.  I also have the Korkers Devil's Canyon but the BOA lacing system makes the stiff part of the replaceable sole dig into my heel so I end up wearing the cabelas cheapos most of the time.  The top of the line from what I've been told is the Patagonia Danner Boot Foot Tractor but I've never used them and they look like they need some breaking in.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2020, 01:38 PM »
I have put over 400 days on my Korkers...darkhorse I think.  No laces..uses boa to tighten.  Interchangeable rubber soles with varying levels of cleat action.

westernmas

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2020, 03:21 PM »
I have put over 400 days on my Korkers...darkhorse I think.  No laces..uses boa to tighten.  Interchangeable rubber soles with varying levels of cleat action.

They have boots designed for cold weather now.  I'm curious how they are ice fishing.  Built in studs is nice.  Don't have to worry about putting cleats on.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2020, 03:56 PM »

Take a look at hodgeman boot foot , they have a pair that won’t break the bank

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2020, 05:44 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. Ive looked at the Patagonia Tractors. Don’t like the non replaceable aluminum bars. Don’t care about the price really. They just have to work and last.

Rg

bogtrotter

« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2020, 08:10 PM »
If you bought a pair that's lasted you twelve years, I'd say you're way ahead of the game.

I've tried a variety of brands, and am lucky if I get a single season/year out of the pairs I've bought.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2020, 04:55 AM »
Well, I don't do as many days on the stream as I used to. Ive looked at Korea’s a few times. I was always skeptical about those detachable soles  and they seemed very stiff to me. Right now I’m steering towards LLBean Emerger or Kennebec boots.

Not sure i want a Boa closure system either. I can replace laces when i want.

Rg

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2020, 07:02 AM »
I hear you RG I just hate tying laces.  The only issue I've had with the replaceable soles is if you step in really soft stuff it can suck the sole off.  (They clip on)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2020, 08:10 AM »
I kind of thought they’d do that. One stream I fish quite a bit has an abundance of mud flats down the banks. Hence the nickname “Mud Creek”.

Rg

westernmas

« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2020, 10:32 AM »
Not sure i want a Boa closure system either. I can replace laces when i want.

Rg

BOA has a lifetime warranty but yes you probably aren't fixing it yourself.  I've used mine in the salt several times and have had no issues.

However, if you replace your boots laces with hockey skates laces they will last a while.  I get them extra long and go around my ankle a time or two to add ankle support.  My ankles need all the help they can get after all my soccer and basketball injuries.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

filetandrelease

« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2020, 07:32 AM »
 These are 1 of korkers first wading shoe with interchangeable soles , wish they still made these not bulky and very light , and This interchangeable is felt with small studs
 They have never pulled off

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Aug 14, 2020, 11:14 AM »
They look like they’ve seen some water.

Think I’m going to try to squeeze a few more trips out of the ones I have. I don’t stream fish much past September anyway. Ill be back in the boat by then. Might be a good birthday present for me in March.

Thanks for the input guys!
Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.